PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Mil broadcast

saratoga guy
01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
OK, hockey ran long -- so we got two live races and the rest as abbreviated replays.

But couldn't they have picked up each of those at the quarter pole and run them with the racecall?

As it was they showed them either only over the last few yards -- or they had a shot early in the race and then cut to the last few yards, with Gary Stevens essentially saying who won the race before they cut to the stretch shot. Kinda took the fun out of watching those six races.

As far as Stevens overall -- I'll give him a pass. It's not as easy as it looks when good broadcasters do it and he's still new... But hopefully he's going to get better as time goes on...

Suff
01-29-2006, 02:40 PM
When they were discussing the Milliion, Donna asked Gary Stevens how quick they'd need to go to give closers a shot.

Stevens said...If they go a half in 45 then I expect the speed to come back to the field and Tom Hammond piped in "I'm lost"

He did'nt understand that simple anylsis? Or was he tipping them two to dumb it down it a little for the General Public.

Post Race anylsis had Stevens Saying. "The fractions on the front were Suicidal"

I thought to myself, Ma and pop horse racing fans have no clue what he just said? Fractions and Horse Racing?

kenwoodallpromos
01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Hockey: SM was cut top and bottom for piece of rubber sliding on ice because racing is lousy at marketing except to committed gamblers.
Suff: racing terms- It is confusing when a number of racing terms are used to mean the same thing (coming back, fading, up the track, slowing down, flat, closing). Half in 45 is not tough to figure out. Several racing leaders turning around and running backwards is!

toetoe
01-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Stevens will improve.

Sports radio had NOTHING on racing Saturday, although SM is a glorified state-bred series. They had guys going on and on about the Shrine Game, or whatever college game was happening. (Insert "yawn" smilie here.) :sleeping: There it is. Found it. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2006, 03:40 PM
It is my opinion that NBC's coverage of the racing game is stale and dated. They have been using the same bumper music now for the past 15-20 years!!

When they were showing the other races on tape delay Saturday, the music they had playing in the background almost put me to sleep! Where's some modern day music? They could have played some of today's music and jazzed it up a bit....

I realize they didn't have a lot of time to put that piece together, because they were supposed to be showing these races live, but this happens all the time in racing telecasts. Let's see some creative editing boys and girls! Let's see some rap or rock music accompanying canned racing "pieces."

Let's try and attract people who are flipping the channel! God, what an awful telecast excitement-wise....

Who do they have in the editing and production booths of these things? 120-year-old men?

Racing is FAST! Racing is EXCITING! You can WIN and LOSE money BETTING on racing! Let's have production values that live up to these REALITIES of the SPORT!

This ain't a polo match or a show jumping event, yet that is exactly how they treat it production-wise....

Right or wrong?

DerbyTrail
01-29-2006, 04:03 PM
PA/Suff, et al..

The production transcended "pathetic".. How about no fractions on the screen during the races? What's more basic than that?

Did someone say here that the broadcasts are for committed gamblers? Really? Then why no crawl at screen bottom with current odds? How come we can't get will pays? Why no Magna 5 will pay? I was sitting with a live 5 ticket and was a tad curious...

And Tom Hammond has been doing racing too long to not know what Stevens and Donna were talking about...

And PA, you're dead on about the production values. I was with Mike Ewing of HRTV last weekend at the Capping World Series. He directs and produces music videos and did the great Pincay career video. Overlays pulsating vibes to racing footage and it adds a TON to the viewing "atmosphere".

I've been told (promised) that with two key guys from NTRA moving to ESPN as part of their big broadcast deal, the quality of race broadcasts will be rising. We'll see.. But yesterday was an embaressment...

toetoe
01-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Sorry PA. You are SO wrong. Rap and bad rock are right up there with moneyphilia as roots of evil. Give the audience credit for intelligence, and if the show dies on the vine, R.I.P. :(

Remember, the fact that people LOVED and Grammy-showered that Santana record of a few years back, does NOT mean it's not the worst effort by ANYBODY in the last 20 years. If we bandwagoned like that in betting, we'd be on a 1-to-9 in every race.

Tom
01-29-2006, 04:32 PM
IMHO NBC is the worst of anyone for ANY sport, not jsut racing. They have no clue what is going on and make no effort at allto put out a good telecast. Their music overlays are horredous - I actually stopped watchin football completely when a game was on NBC. Their racing people need to be fired and NBC would be bettor off hiring any three people out of the Toga tent to do the shows.

In the 20 or so years they covered the Breeder's cup, I doubt they offered a total of 10 minutes af anyhting really worth listening too.

And when will all the networks fiogure it out: you can't milk theses games - all sports - and still show them live and expect to showanother program on time. Fox and CBS delay more shows on Sunday night than they show on time with thier football coverage.

But racing gets held up for little leauge ( now there is a sport with widespread appeal! - snot-nosed midgets fanning the air-ugggh!) and now, of all things Hockey?!?!? Give me a break.

dutzman
01-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Here in Louisville, we had to suffer through a SEC b-ball game...Auburn vs. Georgia. I talked to a buddy in St. Louis and NBC was showing hockey. Well, the SEC game ran way longer than the hockey game. I totally agree with NBC having horrible racing coverage. They barely replayed the stretch of Bailey's last ride. Tom Hammond is HORRIBLE....I can't even listen to him do b-ball or Notre Dame games. Found it really amusing when he said he had no clue what Donna and Stevens were talking about. And then to top it off, immediately after the Classic they jump to a NBC sports report break....I'm sure the people watching the races were just dying to know right then what else was going on in sports.....WHO FREAKIN' CARES....talk about the damn race why don't ya.:bang:

Valuist
01-30-2006, 10:00 AM
NBC is big on fluff stories. Every year when they had the BC, it was the same thing. The overly dramatic music and then some supposed "heartwarming" story. No talk of handicapping or any insights.

But look at NBC now. Sports wise, what do they have? Notre Dame football? Thats about it. Maybe some individual sports like golf or tennis but when it comes to team sports, they were at their peak in the 1970s.

rastajenk
01-30-2006, 02:23 PM
NBC has killed off my interest in the Olympics, too. Once upon a time I could get up for some good worldwide competition, but with the introduction of too many crap "sports," uninteresting personal profiles, and the overal feminization of the production, it's got to the point where I couldn't care less. The Olympic Committee itself is also responsible for the lack of interest, but since we're piling on NBC in this thread, they get the bigger portion of my criticism. Oh, for the days of ABC, when "Fanfare for the Common Man" could get you geeked up for some good Downhill Racing and BobSledding.

kenwoodallpromos
01-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I still say the jockeys need to go into the stands or throw chairs to crack a few heads and make racing a major sport. Maybe even cross-check another rider into the hospital. It takes a drunken fan on the track trying to punch out a horse to get REAL publicity!:cool:

foregoforever
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
NBC is big on fluff stories.

They won the Media Eclipse for national TV feature story with Afleet Alex and lemonade, which, by the time they got around to it, had already been very well covered by others. :sleeping:

And somehow Randy Moss seems to get overlooked year after year. And for that matter, so does ESPN. ESPN isn't perfect by any means, but they are much better than NBC, and they cover the sport year-round. You'd think they deserve an award somewhere down the line.

The real test will be how ESPN uses Bailey. They could pair him and Moss together for some "chalk-talk" segments that would really elevate the telecast.

Sailwolf
01-30-2006, 10:33 PM
NBC stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

If the game ran over, then the racing should have gone over on the other side.

I have watch channels including ESPN run over including a HIGH school game and college golf.

Who gives a rats rear end about other sports. (except for pros and college football and basketball)

Racing should dominate the viewing