PDA

View Full Version : Bailey's Last Ride

CryingForTheHorses
01-28-2006, 06:20 PM
I thought Jerry Bailey rode a pretty smart race, IF he didnt check at the 3/8 pole he may have won his last race, Was a gutsy move squeezing thu on the rail like he did.
Goodbye Jerry,Thanks for the memories.
Hello CASTRO!!!

kenwoodallpromos
01-29-2006, 01:29 AM
I agree about the gutsy part.
Maybe now that Day and Bailey are retired I predict a triple crown winner by 2010.
Their bios say they startes in 1973 and 1974, no tc's since 1978. Day and Bailey were good at doing what they said they were doing- trying to keep KY Derby and Preakness horses from winning the 3rd leg.
Anyway, Bailey was a nice guy and knew his stuff pretty well.

rrpic6
01-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Very gutsy ride coming up the rail. I'm glad I keyed him 2nd in the tri. Over $1300 for a buck! Anytime Joe Bravo tries that move he gets seriously injured. Eddie D. would never try that move, he'd just stand up on his mount. Julie Krone (is she a member here?) would never be in a position to try that move, as she would be 10 wide coming down the stretch. Bailey, Stevens, and McCarron were the best on the lawn.

JimG
01-29-2006, 08:17 AM
If you watch the race closely, you will see Alex Solis (on a tiring horse) look to his left prior to Bailey moving up the rail and ensuring that Bailey has room to make his move.

Hard for me to get misty eyed about a guy that rode mostly 5-2 shots or less in graded races the last few years. Given the quality of the mounts he had the last 5 or so years, I'm surprised he did not win more. As a bettor, I am glad he didn't. Now with Bailey, Day, and Stevens retired, the MOTOS will have to find somebody new to latch onto.

TravisVOX
01-29-2006, 08:30 AM
The winner ran a much better race moving up and swinging out... Bailey rode great, but his horse was just a notch below yesterday.

Favorites or not, he was truly one of the great riders ever.

Tee
01-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Now with Bailey, Day, and Stevens retired, the MOTOS will have to find somebody new to latch onto.

There's always Russell Baze :lol:

garyoz
01-29-2006, 11:03 AM
If you watch the race closely, you will see Alex Solis (on a tiring horse) look to his left prior to Bailey moving up the rail and ensuring that Bailey has room to make his move.

That's the way I saw it too. I see it as less gutsy than JB thinking they would let him through for his swansong. Not to take anything away from Bailey as a jockey--no questions he is one of the all time greats.

Reminded me of when Stevens let Antley through a hole in the Derby on Charistmatic. There's politics in riding, just like everything else.

AQUEBUCKS
01-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Funny that you mentioned Stevens letting Antley through a hole during the Derby. I didn't notice, but remember, at that time they BOTH had the services of Ron Anderson-Whom I believe is one of the best Agents in the game. Ron took JB to the highest level in earnings. I wonder who is next Jock will be?
Any thoughts or insider info?

Suff
01-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I was Flashbacking to Carson Hollow and YOU in the Test Stakes at Saratoga when Bailey went inside and went to work. I was rooting for him.

46zilzal
01-29-2006, 01:32 PM
that Saratoga contest was one of the best drives all year

toetoe
01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Ken,

Nice guy or TC saboteur? Which is it?

What's a MOTO? :confused: :blush:

kenwoodallpromos
01-29-2006, 02:39 PM
He always seems cordial on TV.
He, Day, and Frankel all have stated they try to stop winners of the first 2 legs from winning the Belmont to make sure any horse winning the TC will deserve it. I did not say it, I heard them on TV say it. But they all said it with a smile!

toetoe
01-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Not nice at all. How about cutting someone off, thereby threatening his life and limb, just to make him "earn" his victory? Or is oversight by stewards the only deterrent to that? Sheesh.

CryingForTheHorses
01-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Hard for me to get misty eyed about a guy that rode mostly 5-2 shots or less in graded races the last few years. Given the quality of the mounts he had the last 5 or so years, I'm surprised he did not win more. As a bettor, I am glad he didn't. Now with Bailey, Day, and Stevens retired, the MOTOS will have to find somebody new to latch onto.

I will give you guys a "Heads up" for a up and coming 10lb bug at Calder.This kid has the gift,He has the hands, He sits like a natural on a horse,He has a clock in his head,He is very well spoken, Very polite and very gracious.He currently breezes horses and still goes to school,He wont ride until he graduates.I myself will ride him,Ill even give him his first mount..His name is Marlon Bridmohan, brother of Shawn

sevenall
01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Moto = Master of the Obvious

toetoe
01-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks. I must have my HUMA.

NY BRED
01-30-2006, 04:18 AM
the strange twist to jerry's last ride:

the winner would normally have been a mount for bailey ,so you had a perfect
exacta play.(i didn't play the race )

i'm still wondering why mr bailey didn't chose to ride his final
race in n.y., his base of operations all these yerars.

amazing, in his interview how he commented on his likely successors
naming solis, prado and failing to mention the one jock who could
and did outride him in any race: john velazquez

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Perhaps Mr. Bailey wished to go out out sooner, rather than later, and seeing how this was the first available nationally televised event, he chose Sunshine Millions day as a perfect fit for his sendoff....

Or maybe Frank Stronach paid him a handsome appearance fee to try and boost Frank's ratings / attendance? LOL

(That's a joke...I have no clue if any type of side transaction between Mr. Stronach and Mr. Bailey ever took place)

Suff
01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Mr. New YORK RACING,

u...OUGHT........TO.............B...............AS HAMED OF YOURSELVES THAT BAILEY DIDN'T SHUT IT DOWN IN NY.

ITS A GODAM SHAME, NOT A WORD,,,,,,NOT A PEEP......NOT A NOTHIN...FROM NYRA,

32 YEARS JERRY BAILEY KEPT HIS TACK IN NEW-YAWK!!!

AND YOU CAN'T BRINGYOURSELVES TO SAY THANKYOU??!!!!

HEY TLG? HEY EVEERYBODY???

THIS IS JERRY ###### BAILEY!

OTM Al
01-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Not exactly true Suff. Was at the OTB on Saturday and they did a feature on Bailey on their simulcast channel and it looked like there was some stuff going on at the track before the card began. I think there may have been some snippets during the telecast as well. No sound so can't give a run down on what exactly was going on, but he was not forgotten

Suff
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Not exactly true Suff.

Come on man, He brought his tack to NY in 1982,

Did you see the Picture of me with Bailey in the Jocks room at the SPA?

Who's the guy on the left?

I'll even give you his name. Peter Bornious.

Who is he?

Tip #2.

Picket line, NY, who walked it?

Remember FLAT FEE for 2nd and 3rd?

They broke it.

100 points if you tell me who walked the Line. Give me four names

Suff
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
. Peter Bornious.

Peter Bournias is the Northeastern Regional Manager of the Jockeys' Guild, covering much of the eastern seaboard tracks, following a 10-year jockey career that ended in 1983 after 458 wins. When the Warren, Ohio, native hit the rail one day at Beulah Park, resulting in a collapsed lung, broken ribs, a broken collarbone, and a "horseshoe print on my back for about a year," he began thinking that his future lay on the other side of the fence.

Bournias has some serious concerns regarding his riders' welfare if the scale of weights is not edged upward.

"We always knew there were problems," admitted the 49-year-old Bournias, "but we really got concerned when we started getting reports from insurance companies that some of the most severe injuries were coming from jockeys that were reducing the most. By reducing, the insurance companies said, the jockeys were weaker, had more brittle bones, and their systems were not functioning as smoothly.

"Also," continued Bournias, "we are beginning to see that women jockeys who constantly have to reduce their weight may have a higher incidence than the general population of having babies with birth defects or premature births.

"By the time many jockeys stop riding, it's hard for them to get insurance. Or, if they do get insurance, there are clauses in the policy that say we will insure you but not for your ankle, or knee, or neck, or collarbone. It is really hard for many jockeys to properly insure themselves after they leave the game." Bournias pointed out the fact that athletes in other sports have grown through the decades. "But the Jockey Club Scale of Weights is well over a hundred years old," he said. "It needs to be revised."

http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery/albums/2004_PaceAdvantage_Saratoga_Getaway/P0001540.sized.jpg (http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery/2004_PaceAdvantage_Saratoga_Getaway/P0001540?full=1)

Suff
01-30-2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery/albums/2004_PaceAdvantage_Saratoga_Getaway/P0001530.thumb.jpg (http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery/2004_PaceAdvantage_Saratoga_Getaway/P0001530)

Suff
01-30-2006, 12:53 PM
One of my #1 men.

He'll call me, I'll call him.

When rain comes.................he's right behind it. He never left a working man in his life.

Chris Mccarron can shuck my Dictophone,

To long , to much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ask around. 2 names.

Pete and Giovani. ( boston kid).

rastajenk
01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Bailey lives in Florida, doesn't he? Makes sense he would choose Gulfstream as the venue for his retirement ride, so he can start his new life in his own home.

Tom
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Did Bornious have a stable at Finger Lakes a few years ago?
Name sounds familiar. May he shipped some in for some races.

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Mr. New YORK RACING,

u...OUGHT........TO.............B...............AS HAMED OF YOURSELVES THAT BAILEY DIDN'T SHUT IT DOWN IN NY.

ITS A GODAM SHAME, NOT A WORD,,,,,,NOT A PEEP......NOT A NOTHIN...FROM NYRA,

32 YEARS JERRY BAILEY KEPT HIS TACK IN NEW-YAWK!!!

What the hell does NYRA have to do with this? Bailey made his choice. It's not as if Bailey has any deep roots with anyone around here. If you ever listen to his interviews, he freely admits he has no friends in the jockey room, and probably not too many other ties that bind him to NY, except for the fact that the money was either in NY or California all these years, and he's more of an east coast-based kind of guy.

If Bailey decides to kick NYRA in the teeth by retiring at a Stronach facility, what is NY supposed to do about it? It would look downright silly to put on a lavish production in NY Saturday with Bailey AT GULFSTREAM, now wouldn't it?

I think the timing and the fact that national television was involved had a lot to do with where he chose to retire.

Ron
01-31-2006, 10:04 AM
the strange twist to jerry's last ride:

the winner would normally have been a mount for bailey ,so you had a perfect
exacta play.(i didn't play the race )

That's a stretch.

Valuist
01-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah, if Mott was still training Miesque's Approval. He isn't anymore. Wolfson trains him now.

Wiley
02-02-2006, 11:55 PM
An article on retirement in the Wall Street Journal today noted that Bailey was kicked in the hip by Silver Tree prior to this race and was hurting during the ride. Anybody see it, just wondering if it's true. Tough way to end it.

Sailwolf
02-03-2006, 02:40 AM
There's always Russell Baze :lol:

Let him ride at a real track. Maybe that should be a thread. Does Russsell does any glory because he rides Northern CA (2nd or 3rd rate track)?:confused:

PaceAdvantage
02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
An article on retirement in the Wall Street Journal today noted that Bailey was kicked in the hip by Silver Tree prior to this race and was hurting during the ride. Anybody see it, just wondering if it's true. Tough way to end it.

It was mentioned that he was kicked on the NBC telecast, although I didn't see any footage of the incident...

toetoe
02-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I believe no hoofage was shot of the incident.

Wiley
02-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks Pace. I guess you could have used a sore jockey angle.

Toe that is lame! No pun intended. :D

toetoe
02-04-2006, 12:54 AM
No more halfwise quarter cracks out of you, as you're tendon to hock me off. :p

NY BRED
02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
i've been away on business and am still amazed by the chatter on
j.d.

i'm not arguing about his ability, although i definitely will state,
as he did during the eclipse awards, that his best ability was riding on the turf.

i certainly won't disagree that he exhibited great form when riding, and
rarely got into trouble.however those last few words relate to his getting superior mounts from top stables,which creates less exposure to
risk which he rarely faced in his career.

why i am against this jockey is the fact that his home court was n.y.,
and the world became aware of his so called talent from receiving
top horses from n.y. trainers.

to slap ny racing in the face with his moronic decision to ride his last
race in fla, would be as insane as alex solis, russell baze, laffit
pincay, etc, etc riding their last race at charles town .

think about that statement before posting your replies if any of
of your favored athletes pulled this type of stunt.

JulieKrone
02-05-2006, 06:05 PM
......i certainly won't disagree that he exhibited great form when riding, and rarely got into trouble.
however those last few words relate to his getting superior mounts from top stables,which creates less exposure to risk which he rarely faced in his career.

why i am against this jockey is the fact that his home court was n.y.,
and the world became aware of his so called talent from receiving
top horses from n.y. trainers.

to slap ny racing in the face with his moronic decision to ride his last
race in fla, would be as insane as alex solis, russell baze, laffit
pincay, etc, etc riding their last race at charles town.

think about that statement before posting your replies if any of
of your favored athletes pulled this type of stunt.
I'm not trying to quarrel, but I fail to find any logic in your post: the first paragraph above made me so dizzy, i fell off my chair. I refuse to mess with it at all!

Mainly, though: go back to PA's answer-- says it all. There is no such thing as home edge:
1. Bailey's haunting grounds were KY, Miami & NY. Even more so, he was a 'national stakes rider who rode his mounts all over the world', for 'international trainers who have stables all over the world'. He was not by any means a house rider for small claiming stables that rarely ventured out of NY.
2. Who is left in management in NY, that goes a ways back with him anyway?
3. To retire in NY would be very unfeasible, maybe in the winter at Aqueduct! It'd be:
A. Finish GP meet.
B. Come to Belmont during the Triple Crown Chase.
C. If one does that, 'no way in hell to pass that & Saratoga up, nor all the subsequent important races all over the country + the Breeders Cup.
D. Then it's home to Florida, and how to pass up Gulfstream? And another never-ending circle commences again.

Peace, brother.

NY BRED
02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
despite your invoking the pa on this matter, lets walk away as
friends(if possible) and recognize the following facts:

there are no jockeys that act as hired guns, and, yes, they all have a home base despite your thoughts.If you have any doubts, or wish to contest this fact, please show me how many wins j.d. has in ny, fla, dubai, ky, ca, or any other place in this world.and then show me the so called nomads who magically ride in world class races without having first made their name at
their local track/circuit.

duh, i think ny would rank #1 as would the same fact occur with any other world class jock, who gain their stardom by virtue of rising through the
ranks of their local trackor circuit.

your theory about his wins in other states totally negates the fact he secured
many mounts of trainers wintering and/or having other operations in such states as fla and ky.