PDA

View Full Version : When Did This Happen?

toetoe
01-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Jennifer Pedersen has split with owner Ernie Paragallo. Where will he find a decent trainer that will let Ernie push him around? I guess it happens. The Walterses, the Paulsons, Michael Gill ... I guess they just keep moving, and someone is always available. I just think JPed does good work, but what do I know?

TravisVOX
01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Unbridled's Song could have been great...

Figman
01-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Jennifer Pedersen has split with owner Ernie Paragallo. Where will he find a decent trainer that will let Ernie push him around? I guess it happens. The Walterses, the Paulsons, Michael Gill ... I guess they just keep moving, and someone is always available. I just think JPed does good work, but what do I know?

Could that be Juan Serey coming up the bridle path?

the little guy
01-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I think it's a non-story and they didn't split.

toetoe
01-26-2006, 09:32 PM
tlg,

I read it on the brisnet handicapper's edge, or was it Thoroughbred Times? Okay, corroboration is not my forte. I swear I read it on a heretofore reliable sute.
Now it's killing me. Who trained Unbridled's Song? I know it was a relative unknown, as EP brooked no dissent.

toetoe
01-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Dick Powell, of all people, makes the claim in the Handicapping Insights column dated January 27, in today's Handicapper's Edge on Brisnet.

Figman
01-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Toetoe - Are you thinking of James Ryerson?

On Jan. 24th the Thoroughbred Times reported this story.
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/search/searchdetail.asp?RecordNo=60092&Section=1

the little guy
01-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm not saying the reporters got it wrong, per se, I just don't think it will turn out to be true. I don't think reporters got it wrong when Ernie said he was dispersing his stock a year or so ago. But....that didn't happen either.

Who was the last trainer of Unbridled Song?

djjoe21
01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Jim Ryerson Trained Unbridled's Song till he screwed it up(should have never run in the derby bad feet) . Then went to Zito but I don't think he started for zito. I loved that horse had him at Saratoga in his first race beat a Lukas hot shot payed out $10 too.

Joe

the little guy
01-26-2006, 11:38 PM
He lost an Allowance race at Aqueduct on Cigar Mile day for Nick ( then the NYRA mile ) and buried the field in the Mr. Prospector ( only a three horse field ) and looked to be returning to form before breaking his leg ( I think ).

Saying Ryerson screwed it up, when Paragallo was calling ALL the shots, is more than a little unfair.

GeTydOn
01-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Paraneck has runners listed with both Pederson and Demola. The stock does look like its shifting.

Figman
01-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Jim Ryerson is one fine trainer.
Meddling owners and fine trainers are like oil and water.

speedking
01-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Jim Ryerson is a classy guy as well as a fine trainer.

toetoe
01-27-2006, 02:45 AM
God, he still doesn't ring a bell. I mean, I know of him as an able NY trainer, but I don't recall him as being with US, as I do Cam Gambolati with Spend A Buck, Reynaldo Nobles with Dehere, Jimmy Croll with Holy Bull, Ross Fenstermaker with Precisionist, Keith Stucki with Ancient Title, Roger Clapp with Crystal Water, etc.

weegee
01-27-2006, 08:20 AM
I think he's more of a NJ/PA trainer. Don't you remember him going around with holes in his shoes? And his little daughter? Seemed like a nice guy.

speedking
01-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I think he's more of a NJ/PA trainer. Don't you remember him going around with holes in his shoes? And his little daughter? Seemed like a nice guy.

Right, he's pretty much a Jersey based guy, but did work at Philly after splitting with Paraneck. He later signed on as private trainer for Noreen Carpenito and enjoyed moderate success. Now operates a public stable based in Jersey most of the year. He's a hard worker and an honest guy. Unfortunately, he was in over his head when he hooked up with the Paraneck crew. Sort of wasn't ready for "prime time" back then. I would expect him to perform much better now if he received some quality stock.

Suff
01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
I may have my stories crossed. But I recall that Paragallo got a bad health diagnosis in 2004? Cancer? He was going to divest his racing stock. Perhaps he beat it and the decision was halted.

I may have my people crossed, but I think that is what went down.

DerbyTrail
01-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Right, he's pretty much a Jersey based guy, but did work at Philly after splitting with Paraneck. He later signed on as private trainer for Noreen Carpenito and enjoyed moderate success. Now operates a public stable based in Jersey most of the year. He's a hard worker and an honest guy. Unfortunately, he was in over his head when he hooked up with the Paraneck crew. Sort of wasn't ready for "prime time" back then. I would expect him to perform much better now if he received some quality stock.

Jimmy Ryerson was never "in over his head". Paragallo and Buzz Chace called the Unbridled's Song shots, the same way Ernie has been calling all the shots with Pederson listed as trainer. Further, Ryerson has quality stock that he trains for Mr. Hesse (Char-Mar Stable), whom Buzz brought to Jimmy, including the 2004-05 multiple graded stake winner Park Avenue Ball.

DerbyTrail
01-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I may have my stories crossed. But I recall that Paragallo got a bad health diagnosis in 2004? Cancer? He was going to divest his racing stock. Perhaps he beat it and the decision was halted. I may have my people crossed, but I think that is what went down.

Suff..

You have your story straight. It was Ernie that had announced he was divesting. But he's fine, and didn't go through with it..

speedking
01-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Jimmy Ryerson was never "in over his head". Paragallo and Buzz Chace called the Unbridled's Song shots, the same way Ernie has been calling all the shots with Pederson listed as trainer. Further, Ryerson has quality stock that he trains for Mr. Hesse (Char-Mar Stable), whom Buzz brought to Jimmy, including the 2004-05 multiple graded stake winner Park Avenue Ball.

I stand corrected. I forgot about Char-Mar. However, Jim himself told me that he felt he was in over his head when he got involved with Paraneck. Not handling the stock, but dealing with the internal conflicts created by two big egos and dominant personalities. Buzz has been loyal to Jimmy for a long time though. Jim nearly quit the business just before landing the Paraneck job.

speedking