PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Of Alberta

toetoe
01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
New channel in Bakersfield with interesting programming yesterday.
First, Canadian Lacrosse League action. Calgary Roughnecks versus Edmonton Rush. Indoors on Astroturf. I tried to imagine Jim Brown, reportedly one of lacrosse's best ever, playing on a rink, and I couldn't see it.
Then came the East Coast Hockey League All-Star Game. Of course it's spread to the West Coast by now, and it was played in Fresno, Ca. Forty one players, and none from the Tri-City Americans or the Brandon, Manitoba Wheat Kings. Maybe that's an even more minor league?
Trivia: Name the three Tri-Cities in Washington.

falconridge
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Trivia: Name the three Tri-Cities in Washington.Um, let's see. Just three, eh? (Gawd, the Canadianism in your last post is contagious!) Would those be ... Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland? Does Walla Walla (home of the "Handy Dandy Vacuum Cleaner Company" in several old Warner Bros. 'toons) count--even as just a twin city?

toetoe
01-26-2006, 05:41 PM
First, apologies for not posting in the Sports thread.

F'ridge,

You are correct sir. WW gets notice for being the site of Russell Baze's first winner.
I propose the establishment, on the campus of Whitman College, of a shrine for Christian pilgrims of the Presleyan sect to visit at least once: The Walla Walla Burnin' Love.

falconridge
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
First, apologies for not posting in the Sports thread.HEY, SPORTS FANS! Y'all haven't LIVED 'til you've seen, as I did when I tuned in to a Canuck station while marooned for two days in the "award-winning" Comfort Inn in South Burlington, VT, something called "Championship Curling." Will Monckton "sweep" Moose Jaw in the Tim Horton's Brier Semi-Final? One way to find out (get a load o' that bit about "Canada's grandest game" and the seven hours of "action" you'll "enjoy"):

http://www.cbccountrycanada.ca/images/champ_curling2.jpg
Championship Curling on CBC Country Canada

CBC Country Canada brings curling fans several seven-hour marathon encore presentations of the 2005/06 Season of Champions events including the 2006 Scott Tournament of Hearts (March 5 at 6 p.m. ET) and the 2006 Tim Hortons Brier (March 21 at 12 a.m. ET). CBC COUNTRY CANADA 2005/06 CURLING SCHEDULE (http://www.cbccountrycanada.ca/2006Curling.pdf)
Note: The following are all encore presentations

Jan. 30 at 6 p.m. ET
M&M Meat Shops Canadian Junior Curling Championships (Women's and Men's Final)
Feb. 7 at 6 p.m. ET
Strauss Canada Cup of Curling (Women's and Men's Final)
Mar. 5 at 6 p.m.
Scott Tournament of Hearts (Semi-Finals and Final)
Mar. 21 at 12 a.m. ET
Tim Hortons Brier (Semi-Finals and Final)
Mar. 26 at 6 p.m. ET
Ford World Women's Championships (Semi-Finals and Final)
Apr. 9 at 6 p.m. ET
Ford World Curling Men's Championships (Semi-Finals and Final)

CBC Country Canada pays tribute to Canada's grandest game with A CHAMPIONS' LOOK BACK: SCOTT AND BRIER'05, an exclusive two-part miniseries airing on Feb. 4 and 5, 2006. A CHAMPIONS' LOOK BACK: SCOTT AND BRIER'05 premieres on CBC Country Canada at 9 p.m. ET on Feb. 4 as the Jennifer Jones team, along with CBC Sports' Scott Russell, take fans behind the scenes for an exciting look back at their championship victory at the 2005 Scott Tournament of Hearts. The action continues on Feb. 5 at 9 p.m. ET as the Randy Ferbey team joins Russell to revisit their championship victory at the 2005 Nokia Brier in Edmonton, AB.

http://www.cbccountrycanada.ca/curling2006.html

rastajenk
01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Whenever I've stumbled upon curling on TV, I've found it oddly fascinating to the point where I can't turn it off. I can't explain it, but it sure is compelling. :confused:

toetoe
01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Let me guess:

1) Not too much screaming by announcers,

2) No fans flipping off the players/camera/world,

3) No Dot Racing,

4) No hip wacka-wacka "music" and/or light show to pump up the interest,

5) Camera shots of several seconds' duration,

6) Not a penalty on EVERY FRIGN PLAY?

p.s. Remember the barrel jumping? I LOVED that stuff. Do I need to start a fan club, proclaim "We're #1!" on camera, and kick your ass due to that love? Uh, no.

46zilzal
01-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I like listenting to the gals, in particular, yelling at the rock as it traverses the ice! They act as though it might respond

Tom
01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I like the guy that sweeps at a hundred miles per hour - that dude could clean my house for me! :lol:

toetoe
01-27-2006, 04:29 PM
That's the last straw, Tom.

New movie "coming out" with Elton John and posse: "Bedknobs And Broomsticks Mountain."

rastajenk
02-15-2006, 05:34 AM
The Olympic curling so far has been great. Cute chicks, good commentary, matches that go right down to the last hammer. And just about everything toejoe mentioned above.

Tom
02-15-2006, 09:09 AM
They should combine curling and bobsledding. Slide the little teapots over the course whil ethe sleds are racing....hehehe, now THAT's entertainment!

JustRalph
02-15-2006, 09:18 AM
I like the ladies curling...........nice to see a woman using a broom again...;)

Steve 'StatMan'
02-15-2006, 03:16 PM
I like the ladies curling...........nice to see a woman using a broom again...;)

Well, at least you waited until the day after Valentines Day! :D