PDA

View Full Version : I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists??!!

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2006, 03:58 AM
Iraq: US military confirms imminent release of detainees (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=170592192&p=y7x59z898)
Ireland Online - 31 minutes ago
The US military today said it would release five female Iraqi detainees, a move demanded by the kidnappers of an American reporter to spare her life. The women will be freed today and tomorrow as part of a ...

JustRalph
01-26-2006, 07:50 AM
They were scheduled to be released this week anyway. The government was considering releasing them early last week, when this lady got kidnapped, but decided against it. From what I read, this is right on schedule.

Tom
01-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Stupid action - plane stupid. You can COUNT on many more kidnappings in the near future. We have now rewarded a terrorist act. WHO THE HELL IS RUNNING THIS WAR?

If this is how we are going to act, maybe we should just pack up and get the hell out now. This is inexcusable stupidity.

Suff
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
We Negotiate with terrorists. We do.

I'm not saying it is good..Bad..right ,,,wrong....Hypocritical, productive, unproductive, or anything at all.

We negotiate with terrorists. We'd be talking to ourselves and 10 other countrys if we did'nt.

We've even installed a few, supported a few and funded a few.

The Worlds an ugly place.

lsbets
01-26-2006, 09:15 AM
I seem to recall hearing when this story first broke that these five were already scheduled for release - I know I heard that. Unless more than the original five are being released, there is nothing new in that story.

ljb
01-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Suff and Ls,
Yes !
Aside to ls, you may or maynot change your opinion as you wish. :lol:

schweitz
01-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I seem to recall hearing when this story first broke that these five were already scheduled for release - I know I heard that. Unless more than the original five are being released, there is nothing new in that story.

You are correct.

TurfRuler
01-26-2006, 10:19 AM
I had read several months ago that the U.S. Military in Iraq did not hold any women prisoners. There had been another occassion were kidnappers had demanded the release of women prisoners in Iraq. What makes this Christian Sciene Monitor reporter more important that the U.S. Military will now release there supposedly no women prisoners. Because she is Christian or an American white woman.

Tom
01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
We should refuse to release them while the innocent girl remains hostage.

toetoe
01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
To NOT release them out of spite would be just as bad as folding, no?

so.cal.fan
01-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Suff?
"We Negotiate with terrorists. We do.

I'm not saying it is good..Bad..right ,,,wrong....Hypocritical, productive, unproductive, or anything at all.

We negotiate with terrorists. We'd be talking to ourselves and 10 other countrys if we did'nt.

We've even installed a few, supported a few and funded a few.

The Worlds an ugly place"

The United States is not an ugly place, Suff.....much of the Middle East is, however.
I listened to the President's press conference this morning.....he didn't exacly rule out talks with this new "Hamas" terrorist government just elected in Palestine.
Throughout history......it has proved to be naive to negotiate with terroists.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Secretariat
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
I haven't heard whether the reporter was released or not.

As to negotiating with terrorists, honestly, how do you think those people were freed in the US embassy in Tehran back in 80? The good will of the Iranian people? Gimme a break.

To say we don't negotiate with terrorists is the public relations line, not always what is happening behind the scenes.

JustRalph
01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
As to negotiating with terrorists, honestly, how do you think those people were freed in the US embassy in Tehran back in 80? The good will of the Iranian people? Gimme a break.

You kill me the way you revise history. Jimmy Carter negotiated alright. For 443 days he tried his best. Funny, the minute Ron Reagan was sworn in the bastards decided to let the hostages go. I am sure it was the artful negotiations carried on by the Carter Admin that finally forced them to give in, on day 443..............:bang: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Secretariat
01-26-2006, 08:10 PM
You kill me the way you revise history. Jimmy Carter negotiated alright. For 443 days he tried his best. Funny, the minute Ron Reagan was sworn in the bastards decided to let the hostages go. I am sure it was the artful negotiations carried on by the Carter Admin that finally forced them to give in, on day 443..............:bang: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you actually think the presence of Roanld Reagan being sworn in without any negotiations was the reason that Iranian madmen suddenly decided to free all our hostages... :lol: :lol: :lol:

so.cal.fan
01-26-2006, 09:19 PM
:ThmbDown: Jimmy Carter?

NAIVETÉ never brings peace.

Lefty
01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
sec asks: And you actually think the presence of Roanld Reagan being sworn in without any negotiations was the reason that Iranian madmen suddenly decided to free all our hostages

ljb
01-26-2006, 09:43 PM
sec asks: And you actually think the presence of Roanld Reagan being sworn in without any negotiations was the reason that Iranian madmen suddenly decided to free all our hostages

Lefty
01-26-2006, 10:54 PM
lbj, amazing how you guys will never give a repub credit for anything. Carter negotiates, negotiates, negotiates, Reagan elected, poof hostage prob solved.
I think Osama listened to the pre election hype about Bush the Dems put out and misundrestimated Bush. Nowhe's banished to a cave just to make threatening tapes.

Secretariat
01-26-2006, 11:02 PM
lbj, amazing how you guys will never give a repub credit for anything. Carter negotiates, negotiates, negotiates, Reagan elected, poof hostage prob solved.

Poof? That's what you beleive. That the fanatic iranian students suddenly said, oh boy, poof, we better let them go.

C'mon Lefty, even you have to realize that there were some extreme negotiations occurring behind the scenes.

These things don't occur by "poof". It isn't magic...

Lefty
01-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Not magic, not Carter but FEAR!

GeTydOn
01-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I heard today that it hasn't been confirmed if the kidnapped reporter woman is alive or dead. It seems they have no idea where she is.

Tom
01-27-2006, 09:01 AM
:ThmbDown: Jimmy Carter?

NAIVETÉ never brings peace.

....but damn fine porches, damn fine! ;)

hcap
01-29-2006, 07:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11079548/site/newsweek/

Exclusive: Direct Talks—U.S. Officials and Iraqi Insurgents

"American officials in Iraq are in face-to-face talks with high-level Iraqi Sunni insurgents, NEWSWEEK has learned. Americans are sitting down with "senior members of the leadership" of the Iraqi insurgency, according to Americans and Iraqis with knowledge of the talks (who did not want to be identified when discussing a sensitive and ongoing matter). The talks are taking place at U.S. military bases in Anbar province, as well as in Jordan and Syria. "Now we have won over the Sunni political leadership," says U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad. "The next step is to win over the insurgents." The groups include Baathist cells and religious Islamic factions, as well as former Special Republican Guards and intelligence agents, according to a U.S. official with knowledge of the talks. Iraq's insurgent groups are reaching back. "We want things from the U.S. side, stopping misconduct by U.S. forces, preventing Iranian intervention," said one prominent insurgent leader from a group called the Army of the Mujahedin, who refused to be named because of the delicacy of the discussions. "We can't achieve that without actual meetings."

I guess all these negotiaters are jest plain NAIVÉ?
We have negotiated, are negotiating, and will continue to negotiate.
Now the question for all you hawks is are we doing this because we got em on the run? Or maybe because we are quagmired up to our necks?

Too bad we didn't have more negotiating and less shock and awe back in march 03.

ljb
01-29-2006, 08:52 AM
I think Osama listened to the pre election hype about Bush the Dems put out and misundrestimated Bush. Nowhe's banished to a cave just to make threatening tapes.
So basically what you are saying is Tehran manipulated our election. And now Osama is controlling the minds of the Bushies here. Oh wait a minute Sec has the correct answer. It was magic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CryingForTheHorses
01-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Poof? That's what you beleive. That the fanatic iranian students suddenly said, oh boy, poof, we better let them go.

C'mon Lefty, even you have to realize that there were some extreme negotiations occurring behind the scenes.

These things don't occur by "poof". It isn't magic...

It was the BILLY BEER that freed them

Secretariat
01-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Magic? Fear? Poof?

I dunno Lefty. Maybe this article might help a bit.

http://www.mia.org.il/archive/861106lat.html

Buckeye
01-30-2006, 05:35 PM
That's exactly what Cheney said. We kill terrorists. It's the best way to negotiate with them.

hcap
01-31-2006, 04:33 AM
Yo Psst, knock knock, hello? wake up dudes and dudesses, attention your either wit us or agin' us Buckeye and Lefty lemmings

look at post # 23

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11079548/site/newsweek/

Exclusive: Direct Talks—U.S. Officials and Iraqi Insurgents

ljb
01-31-2006, 06:05 AM
FEAR, the code word of the neocons. Works every time, don't you think? Course if it doesn't work you can always ship the scoundrels some military equipment like Reagan did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lefty
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
lbj, still spinning huh kid? Your posts reflect it; getting dizzy, I suspect. It's amazing how one lib on this board can post something and you immediately repeat it in some fashion. Lbj wanna cracker?

ljb
01-31-2006, 08:53 PM
lbj, still spinning huh kid? Your posts reflect it; getting dizzy, I suspect. It's amazing how one lib on this board can post something and you immediately repeat it in some fashion. Lbj wanna cracker?
So you have nothing to say regarding the issue and again resort to one of Rush's famous methods. Attack the messenger. Sorry you don't have a response Lefty, take two aspirin and call back in the morning. :D

rrpic6
01-31-2006, 09:19 PM
So you have nothing to say regarding the issue and again resort to one of Rush's famous methods. Attack the messenger. Sorry you don't have a response Lefty, take two aspirin and call back in the morning. :D

Big Brother is on the tube now.......giving instructions........All is well.........

I don't think I could piss away 400 Billion Dollars.....and still get a standing ovation.

Lefty
01-31-2006, 09:35 PM
lbj, you're not a messenger, you spread misinformation and substiture despair for hope. Pissed away? I think not.

Lefty
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
oops, getting you and rr mixed up. You must be clones. Anyway lbj, you were responding to me then parroting either sec ot hcap, forget which, they seem like clones too. You attack GW, all you want, he pays your kind no mind and just goes about the necessary business of defeating terrorism. Now go to your blogs and await further instructions on how to respond to the message of hope GW brings tonight with the message of defeatism.

rrpic6
01-31-2006, 10:12 PM
oops, getting you and rr mixed up. You must be clones. Anyway lbj, you were responding to me then parroting either sec ot hcap, forget which, they seem like clones too. You attack GW, all you want, he pays your kind no mind and just goes about the necessary business of defeating terrorism. Now go to your blogs and await further instructions on how to respond to the message of hope GW brings tonight with the message of defeatism.

I missed the King's blabbering. How was it? I was opening up my mail. Invitation from Hillary to some ball in 2008. Any OTB's nearby?

JustRalph
01-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Invitation from Hillary to some ball in 2008. Any OTB's nearby?

Yep, that is the only kind of balling that women does.................;)