PDA

View Full Version : Ten Things I don't miss!

cj
07-10-2002, 07:28 PM
The following are what I don't miss about attending live races:

10. Paying to park my car and for admission for the right to bet
9. Standing in line at the self bet machine while the guy in front of me spends 5 minutes handicapping from his program
8. The $10 Lunch Special, Burger, Fries, and a Coke
7. A mutuel teller who looks at you like you have ten heads when you ask for a trifecta part wheel
6. The complete inability to hear the racecaller
5. Being asked "who do ya like" by a total stranger
4. The restrooms
3. Smelling like an ashtray until I can change clothes
2. People saying a horse was "stiffed" while they tear up the ticket
1. Some dude begging for my Racing Form as I leave the track.

Just some idle thoughts as I sit here in the desert.

CJ

BillW
07-10-2002, 07:46 PM
Damn, CJ the AF must really be taking good care of you guys over there to be sitting around thinking of how much you hate going to the track!:eek:

Bill

cj
07-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Not much to do in the middle of the night Bill, LOL. For the record, that was as opposed to wagering from my bedroom at home!

CJ

andicap
07-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Ten Things I Love About the Racetrack

10. Seeing the horses up close, not because I'm a great "flesh" handicapper, but I happen to love animals.

9. The sense of anticipation I get walking through the gate -- an anything can happen type of feeling.

8. The soft breezes in the Belmont backyard.

7. The unbelieveable level of honesty. I have never, ever been robbed, assaulted, hassled at the racetrack.

6. Seeing the entire race develop, not just the tiny bit on the TV screen at the simulcast or at home.

5. Its like going to the beach without sand getting in your toes and clothes, fighting traffic, and having to look at very big people in tight bathing suits (both genders.)

4. Picking up the next day's DRF on my way out.

3. Talking to the people next to me about the races. Chances are at Belmont they are pretty well informed.

2. Bringing my own cooler and having a picnic with my family.

1. One word: Carvel

:D

cj
07-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Ten Things I Love About the Racetrack

5. Its like going to the beach without sand getting in your toes and clothes, fighting traffic, and having to look at very big people in tight bathing suits (both genders.)

:D

Good thing you aren't here, the French all wear speedos at the pool...yuck!

CJ

sq764
07-10-2002, 10:31 PM
And its the only place (besides a football game) where you can yell an obscenity as loud as possible and no one turns a head..

There's a comfort in that..

Bob Harris
07-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
The following are what I don't miss about attending live races:

10. Paying to park my car and for admission for the right to bet
9. Standing in line at the self bet machine while the guy in front of me spends 5 minutes handicapping from his program
8. The $10 Lunch Special, Burger, Fries, and a Coke
7. A mutuel teller who looks at you like you have ten heads when you ask for a trifecta part wheel
6. The complete inability to hear the racecaller
5. Being asked "who do ya like" by a total stranger
4. The restrooms
3. Smelling like an ashtray until I can change clothes
2. People saying a horse was "stiffed" while they tear up the ticket
1. Some dude begging for my Racing Form as I leave the track.

Just some idle thoughts as I sit here in the desert.

CJ

That's a funny post, CJ! I haven't been to a racetrack since I moved to Reno 10 years ago...thanks for the memories!!

JustRalph
07-11-2002, 01:09 AM
Hey CJ How about these ten....they are meant in fun.

10. Morning Inspection and haircut Nazi's
9. Wondering if all those staff cars headed down the main drag mean an alert is about to kick off, and I am going to lose my days off.
8. Trying to pay the bills on the lousy pay
7. Hoping we get a raise next year
6. Hoping Congress isn't bickering and they put off passing the bill that will allow us to get paid next week!
5. Finding out that you have been selected to go to an early promotions board, then finding out that there are 327 other guys eligible and they are going to give out 5 stripes........
4. watching the Officers drink themselves into a stupor and then having to treat them like gents the next day when they show up for work, hung over.
3. See above: Insert Senior NCO's
2. watching young Airmen make the same mistakes that you made and no matter what you tell them, they are still going to do it, no matter what.
1. Wondering where your next assignment was going to be and can you take your family with you?

CJ.....By the way.......I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It made a man out of me when I needed it most. I am glad there are guys like you who are willing to put up with all of that crap so we can be safe here at home. Hang in there.

Tom
07-11-2002, 10:08 PM
I went to WO for vacation this week. Last night, as I sat outside on the third level, a cool night breeze blowing, the Toronto skyline lighting the horizon, the horses parading in front of the grandstand, the smell of hot dogs wafting out the glass doors, and the excitement of the impending race starting to build up, several tings occurred to me:

1) First time lasix on the 5...what else is he running on tonight?
2) Hey, that guy on the 3...didn't I see him buying batteries
at the gift shop earlier?
3) Let's see, the 7 ran 6 furlongs in 1:11 at Delaware, that's in the 'States, so here in Canada, he should run what....1:13??
Damn metric system!
4)Was that squirrle I just saw black????? What's that all about?
5) Hey this track is easy.....just handicap the first fracton.
6)Hmmmm, one of them "Husbands" looks more like a "wife!"

And being in line with the airport, you get to see an occasional jetliner fly right overhead on it's approach to land at Pearson.

6) Good thing I drove here, I'd have had to buy two damn seats on that sucker!

:eek: :rolleyes: