PDA

View Full Version : I'm Serious, I Swear

toetoe
01-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I heard something not so farfetched about the kidnapped lady in Iraq. The theory was that she is faking her own kidnapping, because it's not about lives/money/effort spent trying to find her, it's about the plight of persons of gender. The greatest thing in this theory's favor is that it rings absolutely false when Iraqis go to great lengths to protect/defend/honor their women. I know it sounds too stupid for anyone to attempt, but if she's on the right side, i.e., all for subversion of the dominant paradigm, :sleeping: :sleeping: , it's worth doing, maybe. Remember the college teacher that faked a "hate crime'" some kind of death threat against her for teaching women's studies, er sump'm? Sounds too stupid for words, but she did it. :confused:

twindouble
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I heard something not so farfetched about the kidnapped lady in Iraq. The theory was that she is faking her own kidnapping, because it's not about lives/money/effort spent trying to find her, it's about the plight of persons of gender. The greatest thing in this theory's favor is that it rings absolutely false when Iraqis go to great lengths to protect/defend/honor their women. I know it sounds too stupid for anyone to attempt, but if she's on the right side, i.e., all for subversion of the dominant paradigm, :sleeping: :sleeping: , it's worth doing, maybe. Remember the college teacher that faked a "hate crime'" some kind of death threat against her for teaching women's studies, er sump'm? Sounds too stupid for words, but she did it. :confused:

toetoe, come down to earth, she hardly seems like one that would have some one killed to make a political point. You handicap the horses much better than things like this.

T.D.

kenwoodallpromos
01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Where? Sorry to be a thread stopper if you do not remember!LOL!

toetoe
01-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Ken,

I believe it was a guest or caller on Matt Drudge's show of Sunday night, Jan. 21, 2006.

Twin Dee,

That's the unkindest cut since Frankie Middleton let one go at First Communion. Maybe you just can't fathom how bad my handycrapping really is.
I didn't recall anybody getting killed in the capture, but what sticks with me is the supposed interest in the plight of women. I'll revisit that story. :)

toetoe
01-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Here it is.
Allen Enwiyah, 32, Iraqi interpreter, was killed. So much for that theory. :blush: :bang:
Okay, but I'll NEVER give up losing at the races. They'll have to pry the worthless vouchers from my COLD ... DEAD ... HANDS! :p

twindouble
01-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Ken,

I believe it was a guest or caller on Matt Drudge's show of Sunday night, Jan. 21, 2006.

Twin Dee,

That's the unkindest cut since Frankie Middleton let one go at First Communion. Maybe you just can't fathom how bad my handycrapping really is.
I didn't recall anybody getting killed in the capture, but what sticks with me is the supposed interest in the plight of women. I'll revisit that story. :)

Carroll's translator - although she speaks Arabic she used a translator - told police just before he died that the abduction took place when he and Carroll were heading to meet Adnan al-Dulaimi, head of the Sunni Arab Iraqi Accordance Front, in the Adel section of the city. The neighborhood is dominated by Sunni Arabs and is considered one of the toughest in Baghdad.

How can you be a lousy handicapper spending so much time here amongst some of the best handicappers in the country? :bang: :cool:

T.D.

twindouble
01-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Ken,

Twin Dee,

Yes your right, I couldn't make that distenction from your posts. I don't recall reading anything that was off the wall. So, what the heck is the problem?

T.D.

falconridge
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Remember the college teacher that faked a "hate crime'" some kind of death threat against her for teaching women's studies, er sump'm? Sounds too stupid for words, but she did it. :confused:Uh, that happened right here at Claremont McKenna College. Kerri Dunn was the name of the perp, and the undersigned owns the distinction (if that's the word) of being the last person with whom she communicated (maybe an alibi to account for her whereabouts while she was defacing her own car by spraypainting such threats as "Die, Jew d*ke b*tch"?)--e-wise, anyway--before the story broke. Dunn, who had a record for shoplifting, insurance fraud, and DMV violations before she entered the employ of my employer, was a Visiting Instructor in Psychology at CMC. I believe she came from somewhere in Nebraska. What I never knew (besides the police record) prior to the brouhaha was Ms. Dunn's sexual and religious preference (actually, she had, to use her own words, only "thought about converting" to Judaism); in fact, those she tried to finger for the putative "homophobic" (God, how I despise that word!), "anti-Semitic" "hate crime" (hate that term--and have issues with the very concept--too)--her male students--weren't any more likely to have known this, or even suspected it. And even if they did, even those who enrolled in her course because they thought it was a grunt (which probably covers a lot classes in that discipline) more than likely couldn't have cared less.

The college took a huge hit as a result of Dunn's shenanigans, not only before the hoax was exposed, but afterwards--a condition not helped by the institution's president's slowness in issuing the kind of statement that she aired only several weeks after the contretemps: "Throughout this semester, we have heard from persons within The Claremont Colleges that the Colleges collectively and CMC individually have a problem with racism, anti-Semitism, and various types of bigotry. I disagree with these statements. CMC is not an intolerant community, and there is absolutely no widespread racism or other forms of discrimination at CMC. We nurture an environment of mutual respect and tolerance. When the community believed that individuals were involved in acts of bigotry, the community spoke out clearly against it. [...] Events have also raised issues about the fundamental relationships between students and faculty. This relationship must be based on mutual trust and handled with care and professionalism by each member of the faculty. This relationship should never be abused or exploited for individual gain or to advance individual viewpoints. Any abuse of this relationship is totally unacceptable for it damages our educational purposes.

"These events also require us to evaluate several issues of College policy and practice, some just within CMC and some pertaining to all The Claremont Colleges. These issues include the following: the types of background checks that should be used as part of all employment decisions [oops! Mme President's and her hand-picked dean's bad]; [... blah, blah, blah]."

Hope this post isn't traced, as I'm sending it from a college computer. On the other hand, it is my lunch hour.

falconridge

toetoe
01-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Who finally (GULP! :eek: ) fingered HER?

toetoe
01-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Twin,

As I live in a figurative current events cave, I didn't know or forgot that the gent was killed in the sequestration. (Eat your heart out, Paul Allen ... no, not THAT Paul Allen.) Maybe somebody in Iraq really wants his women back. I was trying too hard on this one, it seems. :blush:

twindouble
01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Twin,

As I live in a figurative current events cave, I didn't know or forgot that the gent was killed in the sequestration. (Eat your heart out, Paul Allen ... no, not THAT Paul Allen.) Maybe somebody in Iraq really wants his women back. I was trying too hard on this one, it seems. :blush:

Toetoe; I was refering to your Handicrapping problem. I'm sure if you let it be known what you do and how you do it, members here including myself:cool: can help out. Like I said, if we can't it's all hot air and we don't belong here.:eek:

T.D.

Overlay
01-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Dunn, who had a record for shoplifting, insurance fraud, and DMV violations before she entered the employ of my employer, was a Visiting Instructor in Psychology at CMC.

f'ridge:

Would someone like that have been hired before CMC went coed? I think not. (And a psychology instructor to boot!) (Do you recall any profs from our day with skeletons like that in their closet?)(That is, other than the ones who were the subject of such pinball room graffiti as, "Jeff and Frank are taking their oral finals from ________ today. They're real hard, but Jeff and Frank always manage to spit out the answers that will give them an A.")

toetoe
01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks. First problem is identifying exactly what I do. I noticed two horses at SA last Monday that I loved, and another Saturday that was best-of-meet status. Monday, I liked Unusual Spring, bet down to 5/2, I think, and Her Red at 5/1(!). I think US was higher on the m. l. Then Sat., Denied looked so good, it was suspicious that he was in a claimer. $10(!) he paid. The first two were just from memory, so I gather two things about myself from this:

1) I like acceptable form (exc. could be hot pace, trouble, etc.),

2) my horses tend to pay in the range of $9 to $12.

I've been trying to use Riders Up as practice for playing pick-fours for real. The problem with that will always be capitalization.

falconridge
01-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Would someone like that have been hired before CMC went coed? I think not.No way anything like that would have gone down on Jack Lee Stark's watch--though there were some odd tenure decisions, but JLS shouldn't take the heat for those. And speaking of graffiti (to say nothing--nearly--of my use of the expression "gone down"), let's not forget the one you espied that time in the Gents' at Bay Meadows: y'know, the one about R. Baze's tribute to A. Lobato. ;) :D

twindouble
01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks. First problem is identifying exactly what I do. I noticed two horses at SA last Monday that I loved, and another Saturday that was best-of-meet status. Monday, I liked Unusual Spring, bet down to 5/2, I think, and Her Red at 5/1(!). I think US was higher on the m. l. Then Sat., Denied looked so good, it was suspicious that he was in a claimer. $10(!) he paid. The first two were just from memory, so I gather two things about myself from this:

1) I like acceptable form (exc. could be hot pace, trouble, etc.),

2) my horses tend to pay in the range of $9 to $12.

I've been trying to use Riders Up as practice for playing pick-fours for real. The problem with that will always be capitalization.

First, just to be clear, did you bet the horses you mentioned?

Second, What's Riders Up?

Third, if your picking horses on the average of 4-1 you should be making money.

On Riders up, I know what it means but are you talking a program?

T.D.

JustRalph
01-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Second, What's Riders Up?

Riders Up is a contest here on the board. It is named after a former member of the board here. He is no longer with us..............he had a great deal of respect amongst the board members here and they named a contest after him. I didn't get to know him.........and from what I am told.......missed out on "one of the good guys"

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/search.php?searchid=229790

twindouble
01-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Riders Up is a contest here on the board. It is named after a former member of the board here. He is no longer with us..............he had a great deal of respect amongst the board members here and they named a contest after him. I didn't get to know him.........and from what I am told.......missed out on "one of the good guys"

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/search.php?searchid=229790

Thanks Ralph, that's do bad, he had to be good to honored is such a way. I'll check out the link.

T.D.

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2006, 02:10 AM
As we found out recently, search links expire after a little bit...that's why the link JR posted now returns nothing....

JustRalph
01-24-2006, 08:06 AM
As we found out recently, search links expire after a little bit...that's why the link JR posted now returns nothing....

News to me..........now you have me curious as to why? Re-index of the database?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/search.php?searchid=230141

i ran it today, definite difference in the search link............

PaceAdvantage
01-25-2006, 11:35 PM
You would think, since the numbers are going up with each search, and not resetting back to some base #, that it would be storing these search parameters somewhere....but alas, it appears that it does not....