PDA

View Full Version : The roads to the Super Bowl

Valuist
01-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I believe that in virtually any sport, football, bball, horse racing etc, those that beat the tougher competition in tougher games/races, get more battle tested and are in better position to win the big events, like the Super Bowl, KY Derby or Final Four.

Seattle: (32nd toughest schedule out of 32), face a wild card team (Washington) at home, then face another low seed (Carolina) playing its third game in 3 weeks on the road. PERFECT TRIP

Pittsburgh: Has been on the road 5 times in the last 6 games. Has been in must-win situations since week 14, when they were 7-5 and on the verge of elimination. In the playoffs they travel to the #3 seed, #1 seed and #2 seed and beat them all. Not too difficult to see which team is more battle tested.

GaryG
01-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I look for the line to drift up several points before game time so I am betting Pitt right now. The Steelers have some great story lines, Bettis going home to play his last game, Big Ben, Troy the Trojan etc and should attract most of the casual play. I am sure Seattle will be demanding more "respect".

46zilzal
01-23-2006, 11:35 AM
funny....folks here have been knocking Seatlle the entire way....You handicap football games like you do horse racing and look MORE at the company they keep rather than what the individual has accomplished: OLD SCHOOL ...but that's okay

GaryG
01-23-2006, 11:42 AM
funny....folks here have been knocking Seatlle the entire way....You handicap football games like you do horse racing and look MORE at the company they keep rather than what the individual has accomplished: OLD SCHOOL ...but that's okayStill works pretty well....you think Seattle is going to beat them???

santanajimi
01-23-2006, 11:59 AM
I really thought that Seattle would be a small fav, its only a matter of time till you lose on the road. In one of the least watched Super Bowls, i will take Seattle. 21-14....

46zilzal
01-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Still works pretty well....you think Seattle is going to beat them???
I don't know, but there is ONE thing I have learned looking a competitions in all sports: when the best meets the best, each has so many tricks up their sleeves that it is very difficult to project

Valuist
01-23-2006, 12:17 PM
"look more at the competition than what the individual (team) has accomplished".

Just what HAS Seattle accomplished? Look at their regular season wins: 2 each over divisional punching bags San Fran, Arizona and St. Louis. They beat Atlanta at home, who wasn't as strong as many thought. They beat Houston at home (a 2-14 team), Dallas at home when Bledsoe throws the game away in the final minute, the Giants at home when Feeley blows 3 makeable field goals, Tennessee by a whole 4 pts, Indy at home the week after Dungy's son dies and the Colts rest most of their starters, Washington in their 3rd road game in three weeks (after they advanced w/less than 125 yards of offense) and Carolina in their 4th straight road game and had their 4th string RB playing for 80% of the game.

THAT is what I call a charmed life.

Valuist
01-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Is anyone else tired of the media telling us we SHOULDNT care about the game because New York, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aren't in the game? I don't know anybody who cares about network ratings, nor am I convinced it makes much difference. Many people who don't normally follow the NFL will watch the game at parties or just because it is the Super Bowl.

santanajimi
01-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I will be watching the game at home, and rooting for the two squares that i buy ...ya know, the numbers thing. I could care less who wins, just give me my numbers, and a good game :rolleyes: .....the only time i really have a root is when the NY Jets are involved...thats like never. :bang:

46zilzal
01-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I was lucky enough to have moved the Jets into Candlestick when they played the niners years ago. Namath was in bad shape then and had the nickname "squeaks" as you could hear his knee braces when he walked by.

The club made the mistake of firing the equipment manager BEFORE they returned to New York so he was pissed and gave us all sorts of clothing and gear. I had a practice ball that Namath used to warm up with for years but gave it to my nephew (a high school coach) so he could use it for his KNUTE ROCKNE speech before the games.

The reporters were going nuts trying to get statements from him and were actually getting wet trying to interview him in the SHOWERS!!

toetoe
01-23-2006, 04:24 PM
My 9'ers are punching bags? :(

I will say the Steelers remind me of my glory-days 9'ers in that the defense is stout, but the attack is almost unstoppable. Cowher is more conservative than Bill Walsh, if that's even possible, but his coaches are as dynamic as Shanahan when he was with the 9'ers. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Toetoe-

Afraid so. I think they're still paying the price from salary cap hell a few years back. But in 2 years, who knows?

kingfin66
01-23-2006, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Valuist]
Just what HAS Seattle accomplished? /QUOTE]

Let´s see, they won the NFC Championship. Just like Pittsburgh won the AFC Championship. They made it to the Super Bowl. That makes them a good team, at least to me. I actually watched every game. They looked good in almost all of them and were still able to win a couple where they weren´t that good. That´s what good teams do. The schedule is what it is. It´s pretty funny, the Seahawks don´t demand more respect, they just worry about the next game no matter who it´s against.

Later from Seattle. Actually, I´m in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico right now. Save me an NFC Champion t-shirt and hat!

Valuist
01-23-2006, 05:38 PM
The way things unfolded, I would not be at all surprised to see New England win next year's Super Bowl. Pittsburgh's good and I believe they will do it this year, but they've had problems the past two seasons against NE. Indy showed that no matter how much talent and flash they have, they still choke. Denver is solid but realistically Jake Plummer is not a Super Bowl caliber QB. We'll see on Seattle. The NFC is weak so they could well make it back next year. San Diego is my sleeper team for next year to win it all, assuming Brees is completely recovered from his shoulder injury. Cincy? No defense. Chicago? No offense.

GaryG
01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I agree about Seattle, they could be like Buffalo was in the 90s. Steelers could be around awhile barring a key injury. They are finally stable at QB after going through Stewart, Maddox etc. I can see this SB turning into a rout.

BetHorses!
01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I believe that in virtually any sport, football, bball, horse racing etc, those that beat the tougher competition in tougher games/races, get more battle tested and are in better position to win the big events, like the Super Bowl, KY Derby or Final Four.

Seattle: (32nd toughest schedule out of 32), face a wild card team (Washington) at home, then face another low seed (Carolina) playing its third game in 3 weeks on the road. PERFECT TRIP

I totally agree. However, the flip side is we really do not know how good they are because of this laughable schedule and lots of times we take that info as a negative which it is but we really should pass the game instead of betting against cause of the unknown factor...make sense?

46zilzal
01-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Seems fairly balanced here
Pro Bowl Selections

The following are the players selected to play in the 2006 Pro
Bowl on February 12 in Honolulu:

NATIONAL FOOTBALL CONFERENCE
----------------------------
OFFENSE
-------

Quarterbacks -- Jake Delhomme, Carolina; x-Matt Hasselbeck,
Seattle; Michael Vick, Atlanta.

Running backs -- x-Shaun Alexander, Seattle; Tiki Barber,
NY Giants; Warrick Dunn, Atlanta.

Fullback -- x-Mack Strong, Seattle.

Wide receivers -- Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona; Torry Holt,
St. Louis; x-Santana Moss, Washington; x-Steve Smith, Carolina.

Tight ends -- x-Alge Crumpler, Atlanta; Jeremy Shockey, NY Giants.

Tackles -- x-Walter Jones, Seattle; x-Orlando Pace, St Louis;
Chris Samuels, Washington.

Guards -- x-Larry Allen, Dallas; x-Steve Hutchinson, Seattle;
Mike Wahle, Carolina.

Centers -- LeCharles Bentley, New Orleans; x-Olin Kreutz, Chicago.

DEFENSE
-------

Ends -- x-Julius Peppers, Carolina; x-Michael Strahan, NY Giants;
Osi Umenyiora, NY Giants.

Tackles -- Rod Coleman, Atlanta; x-Tommie Harris, Chicago;
x-Shaun Rogers, Detroit.

Outside linebackers -- Lance Briggs, Chicago; x-Keith Brooking,
Atlanta; x-Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay.

Inside linebackers -- Jeremiah Trotter, Philadelphia; x-Brian
Urlacher, Chicago.

Cornerbacks -- x-Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay; x-DeAngelo Hall,
Atlanta; Nathan Vasher, Chicago.

Strong safeties -- Mike Brown, Chicago; x-Roy Williams, Dallas.

Free safeties -- x-Darren Sharper, Minnesota.

Kicker -- Neil Rackers, Arizona.

Punter -- Josh Bidwell, Tampa Bay.

Kick returner -- Koren Robinson, Minnesota.

Special teamer -- David Tyree, NY Giants.

AMERICAN FOOTBALL CONFERENCE
----------------------------

OFFENSE
-------

Quarterbacks -- Tom Brady, New England; x-Peyton Manning,
Indianapolis; y-Carson Palmer, Cincinnati; r-Jake Plummer,
Denver.

Running backs -- x-Edgerrin James, Indianapolis; Larry Johnson,
Kansas City; LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego.

Fullback -- x-Lorenzo Neal, San Diego.

Wide receivers -- Chris Chambers, Miami; x-Marvin Harrison,
Indianapolis; x-Chad Johnson, Cincinnati; Rod Smith,
Denver.

Tight ends -- x-Antonio Gates, San Diego; Tony Gonzalez,
Kansas City.

Tackles -- x-Willie Anderson, Cincinnati; Jonathan Ogden,
Baltimore; x-Wille Roaf, Kansas City.

Guards -- x-Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh; x-Will Shields,
Kansas City; Brian Waters, Kansas City.

Centers -- Jeff Hartings, Pittsburgh; x-Jeff Saturday,
Indianapolis.

DEFENSE
-------

Ends -- Derrick Burgess, Oakland; x-Dwight Freeney,
Indianapolis; x-Jason Taylor, Miami.

Tackles -- x-Richard Seymour, New England; x-Marcus Stroud,
Jacksonville; Jamal Williams, San Diego.

Outside linebackers -- x-Cato June, Indianapolis; x-Shawne
Merriman, San Diego; Joey Porter, Pittsburgh.

Inside linebackers -- x-Zach Thomas, Miami; Al Wilson,
Denver.

Cornerbacks -- x-Champ Bailey, Denver; Ty Law, NY Jets;
x-Deltha O'Neal, Cincinnati.

Strong safeties -- x-Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh.

Free safeties -- x-John Lynch, Denver; Bob Sanders,
Indianapolis.

Kicker -- Shayne Graham, Cincinnati.

Punter -- Brian Moorman, Buffalo.

Kick returner -- Jerome Mathis, Houston.

Special teamer -- Hanik Milligan, San Diego.

Valuist
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Not really. The AFC is a far stronger conference than the NFC so it is easier to become a Pro Bowl player in the NFC. Besides, its the sum of the parts anyways, not a bunch of individuals accumulating stats.

freeneasy
01-23-2006, 11:51 PM
i remember john boom madden saying one night 'hey, in the playoffs and to get to the playoffs it doesnt matter who it was you played and who it was you beat to get there, there all big games" this year seattle is a heck of a team and pittsburg is too.

Valuist
01-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah theoretically he's right. But what players are going to have the confidence they can beat the best? A team that hosted Washington and a road weary Carolina team or the only team in playoff history to beat the # 1,2, and 3 seeds?

46zilzal
01-24-2006, 01:41 AM
the survivors are playing. No one helped either team get there. On the day of the game, the better team, that day, and NO DAY BEFORE, will win the game (barring more stupid refs). I doubt seriously if either club will need a confidence boost.

The AFC and NFC All-Star squads are made up of the consensus votes of fans, players and coaches. Each group's vote counts one-third towards determining the 43-man rosters that represent the American Football Conference and National Football Conference in the Pro Bowl. NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 19-20.

The NFL is the only sports league that combines voting by fans, coaches and players to determine its all-star teams. I

Valuist
01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
One other factor: Pittsburgh should have more of a home field advantage. Steelers fans travel as well as any team's fans, and the close proximity to Detroit, along w/the local player angle (Bettis) should make for a crowd that will be more for Pittsburgh.

rastajenk
01-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Add the Roethlisberger factor. The guy's a winner. Brady has had a nice run, but Big Ben is the now guy, and will be for a long time.

Even though they've won the three straight road playoff games, they've really been in playoff mode for about six weeks. They probably wish they didn't have a week off; keep it rolling. Other teams that clinched early and were able to take it easy the last week or two of the regular season weren't playoff ready, but the Steelers have been. I think they win with their usual operating procedure: force mistakes and score points off them.

Valuist
01-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Agree 100%. You don't like to lose the positive momentum but they probably could use the week rest after 5 road games/6 weeks and all the games were the "win or go home" type intensity.

freeneasy
01-24-2006, 12:27 PM
i think seatle could have beaten the 1,2 and 3 seeds as well as pittsburgh. and yeah your right about the crowd. its going to be one heck of a pittsburgh tailgate party go'n on in the detroit lions parking lot. q-it up boys

Valuist
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
They would've been underdogs in all three games; likely a double digit dog at Indy. They hadn't beaten anyone good on the road all season. And to turn around and beat those three teams on the road? Probably at least 25-1/30-1 against.

Wiley
01-24-2006, 01:34 PM
One other factor: Pittsburgh should have more of a home field advantage. Steelers fans travel as well as any team's fans, and the close proximity to Detroit, along w/the local player angle (Bettis) should make for a crowd that will be more for Pittsburgh.
The Free Press is really playing up the Bettis coming home/last game angle and agree Ford Field will be partisan Steelers for the game. Roethlisberger is from Findlay too which is just an hour and a half down the road from Detroit. Bettis went to school at Mackenzie high school 7 miles from the stadium.

freeneasy
01-24-2006, 01:34 PM
but i dont like using the word 'if' in these type situations. if seattle were in this situation or if seattle were in that situation they'd be this or that or this would have happened or that would have happened. they werent. each team was in the situation they were in and handled it or controlled it quite well.
iam sure mike holmgrum is more then aware of pitts accomplishment and is taking in all considerations in dealing with them.
handicapping wise these two teams are the best in the nfl. there strengths and weaknesses is what each team will be studying, planning, cordinating, practicing and playing against. you nail that down and you got a winner

Valuist
01-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Freeneasy-

You are making the assumption that the NFC and AFC are equal. IMO, I believe Pittsburgh, Indy, New England, Denver all could've won the NFC and San Diego and Cincy would've been right there.

Bubbles
01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
The way I see it is that the Pittsburgh defense will decide the game. The rush they bring is phenomenal, and it'll really test Alexander and Hasselbeck. Both of Seattle's top receivers, Engram and Jurevicius, averaged less than 60 yards per game, and with the pressure Pitssburgh brings, I'm not sure Seattle can pull off the necessary big play.

Pittsburgh's offensive strategy should be to run the heck out of the ball. By keeping Alexander off the field, they're protecting themselves and giving Seattle's offense an uphill battle. It's not often you bet the under in a Super Bowl, but here, it might work.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 21. Seattle 13

Bala
01-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Hated Smarty Jones - he beat no one. Almost won the triple crown
Hated Lost in the Fog - he beat no one. Turned out to be a punk

Overall the quality of competition angle is hit and miss. I believe many
people are selling Seattle short. Pitt's defence is not the strength of that
team. It is their incredible offensive line!!

Seattle will run the ball at the Pitt defence. Winner 21-20: take the points
with a well balanced Seattle team.

Keep in mind - when trying to forecast the future - it is not about the past
performance but what will change today.

__________________________________________________ ____________
The only guaranty in this life is that tomorrow things will change.

Valuist
01-25-2006, 10:05 AM
CAN Seattle win? Sure. There are no locks. Its possible. They're good; I just don't think they're THAT good.

I disagree that Pitt has a "strength of its team". Pitt is where its at because it is very balanced. Very good QB/passing game but a solid run game; a very good defense that tied for 3rd in pts against, 3rd against the run and 8th in defensive pass efficiency and 3rd in QB sacks.

I think if Seattle is to win, they will make Hasselbeck win the game not Alexander. I think the Steelers will take the run away.

Valuist
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Another week to wait. There's always too much hype for the game. As much as I love the NFL, its just one game, and just one wager. I hope tracks like Gulfstream don't alter their post times too much. I'm looking forward to watching GP or OP races more than I am watching the "big game".

Suff
01-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Seattle +4 for the rent.

I already placed it.

GaryG
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I took Pitt and laid 3.5 for my alimony pmt

Suff
01-30-2006, 01:06 PM
I took Pitt and laid 3.5 for my alimony pmt

We don't pay Alimony in the North.:D

Just my Opinion.............and ball bustin

Valuist
01-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I laid the 3 1/2. It seems like its a public side but sometimes even the public gets it right.....especially this past season.

GaryG
01-30-2006, 01:36 PM
The game should have been played yeaterday....I won't turn it on until I'm sure the game has started. Probably have another one of those 5 minute versions of the national anthem.

Suff
01-30-2006, 01:42 PM
The game should have been played yeaterday....I won't turn it on until I'm sure the game has started.

does tennessee have Cable TV? and High speed internet?

GaryG
01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
does tennessee have Cable TV? and High speed internet?Even have satellite....imagine that! Here is some praise for the FDR New Deal: If not for the TVA much of this area mould not have had electricity until much later. The TVA's dams tamed the Tenn River and it's tributaries. It was too wild to navigate and was forever overflowing. The dams turned it into a cheap source for power and we still have very low power rates. Thanks FDR.

Suff
01-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Even have satellite....imagine that! Here is some praise for the FDR New Deal: If not for the TVA much of this area mould not have had electricity until much later. The TVA's dams tamed the Tenn River and it's tributaries. It was too wild to navigate and was forever overflowing. The dams turned it into a cheap source for power and we still have very low power rates. Thanks FDR.

Cool. I don't know if you heard? But a bunch of us started a country up here. I think your in it now?

Its called America? You heard of it? yea.......anyway, we had a few ideas and we died over them. thats how serious we took it.

So we started a country. At first they were colonys, and territories. But we had a whole bunch of ideas about freedom.

We wrote them down. First we wrote a constutition. Right here in Boston at Fanuiel Hall. We took it by horse back to Phiadelphia to a thing called the Constitutinal Convention. ( u heard of that?).

So anyway........we started a country. United States of America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War#Massachusetts.2C_1774_t o_1776

I'm glad your here, But from my cold dead hands, you'll get it from me.

Fred
01-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Gary: Not so sure about that anymore- I just got my power bill and looking for a fast horse to pay it! :)

Freddy

in Knoxville (Farragut)

Buckeye
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Seattle is the winning bet.

46zilzal
01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Hated Smarty Jones - he beat no one. Almost won the triple crown
Hated Lost in the Fog - he beat no one. Turned out to be a punk

Funny. few horses can boast of a record of a SINGLE career loss and BOTH of them lost to GRADE ONE competition. Hardly punks either of them...HINT: They both beat all comers save once, and in the former's case, EVERYONE who faced him save ONE.

freeneasy
01-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Seattle +4 for the rent.

I already placed it.

i say the books are going to have to move that line upward another once or twice.
man everybody and their grama loves the pittlers and they aint thru bett'n em. that lines goina get up to at least 4 1/2 and i say 5.
the books are taking so much money on the steelers right now that if wins their going to have to go into their own pockets to cover. i say the books gotta raise that line to 5 and hope the seahawks cover.
should'a waited to probably get that 5. but hey, rent cant be that high on them house boats :D what in the hell are ya do'n out there in swampland anyway.
i hear ya gotta watch out for those crazy french creole women when they getcha into one of those goosedown beds of theirs cause i hear when they get thru with you that you aint gonna be spending yo money on yo rent, you gonna be spend'n yo money on their rent :faint: :D you yeah yo buddy

Bala
01-31-2006, 02:40 AM
I was simply illustrating the quality of competition angle.
Smarty turned out to be a very nice horse. However,
Lost in the Fog was ducking all quality sprinters all
year. Remember LITF’s BM race? Talk about running
from the competition!! LITF was an easy through out
in the Breeders Cup.

Valuist
01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
I would have to agree re: LITF. Smarty Jones did step up and beat all the other 3YOs and came w/in a photo of the Triple Crown. But who did Lost in the Fog beat? Egg Head? Santana Springs? I thought the connections of LITF did a great job managing the horse UNTIL the final prep. At that point, they should've went to New York for the Vosburgh to see how he matched up against seasoned competition. They were thinking about his win streak rather than what would be the best way to get him ready for the BC Sprint.

FWIW, how could Taste of Paradise not have been in the running for the Eclipse Award for top sprinter?

Bala
01-31-2006, 10:15 AM
I will call the connection of Lost in the Fog
this mourning and tell them they should
start their 2006 campaign off with a couple
of races in classified allowance company at
Finger Lakes. Followed by some tune up races
at Great Lakes Downs. At which time Beyer and
Associates will award LITF Beyer’s figs of 200.
JB of Thoro-graph sheets will award LITF several
-63’s. A 0.0 for the actually races and a -63 for
accelerating on a dead rail. JB will continue
to write just how much faster horse have gotten
over the last 40years.

Perhaps even CJ’s figs would reflect some
impressive figs. Why we will be talking of
Lost in the Fog in the same breath as Kelly
Kip, Housebuster and Very Subtle.

I must immediate make a future wager on
LITF at the 2006 Breeder Cup. I may me able
to get the fav at a 1-75. Groovy man Groovy.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
THIS IS A POST ABOUT THE SUPER BOWL. Either bring it back on topic, or closed it gets.

betchatoo
02-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I can understand those who like the Steelers. They have really mowed down top competition. However, I think Seattle matches up well. They have the best left side O line in the NFL, a superstar runner and a good complimentary passing game. They also have an underrated defense that I think will cause Pitt problems. I'll take the points

toetoe
02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I must again hammer home the point about the Troy Polamalu factor. He will do something disastrous --- a Romanowski-like penalty, an ill-advised lateral, a leap over his intended target, right into the teeth of a teammate, all of above, even ... Oh, wait, it's the rocket scientists vs. the brain surgeons. I take it back. The winner? Spartacus. No, no, the Woody Strode character.

Bala, you can't slam Very Subtle with that group. She really DID win a BC sprint. And whoever said 'Fog ducked all year is wrong. One or two ducks can be forgiven.

Hosshead
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
It seems like the Steelers have won their last couple of games by getting off to a great start early in the game, pumped up, and showing a lot of energy right out of the blocks. Wonder how they'll play IF Seattle can meet the same early energy?

Anybody got Early E % for these teams ?
What do you think? Will the winner take it wire to wire, or from just off the pace ? :cool:

Bala
02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I have been very high on Seattle up untill now. After looking at all the stats
in context of the season, now I have my doubts.

Seatlle on the raod:

at Jaksonville; Seattle lost first game of the season

at Washington Seattle again lost

at St. Louis Sea. won, rams had a poor defence all year

at Arizona Sea won, they should win

at SF Sea won, so what!

at Philly Sea won 44-0 on monday night, Philly a great
disappointment this yr.

at Tennese Sea won but no cover

at Green Bay Sea lost, last game of the season Seattle sat this one
out.

Any team can pad their stats with SF, Rams, and Cards.

at Pitt? in Detriot, Seattle is an awsome home team but now Sea.
is moving way up in class.

Suff
02-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Seattle +4 .

rastajenk
02-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I think Alexander will get his yards on some big plays here and there, but that the Pitt defense will create situations that take him out of context more often than not. In other words, they'll have to pass more, giving Pitt even more chances for sacks, turnovers, fourth downs, etc. Steelers cover; MAC QB gets MVP.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Miami_University_Redhawks.png

Bubbles
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I think Alexander will get his yards on some big plays here and there, but that the Pitt defense will create situations that take him out of context more often than not. In other words, they'll have to pass more, giving Pitt even more chances for sacks, turnovers, fourth downs, etc. Steelers cover; MAC QB gets MVP.

Agreed up until MAC QB gets MVP. Bettis is getting way too much attention. It's his last game. Not saying it's right, it's not, but if Bettis has a typical line (4 carries, 5 yards, 2 TD's), he probably wins the MVP as a career-achievement thing. I was never a fan of those, but it's happened before. The bet to make is Bettis at 7-1 to win the MVP award.

Valuist
02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I think Polamalu is a sleeper to win the MVP. He is a bit crazy, but is a big impact player. I could see him getting a defensive TD.

toetoe
02-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Ooh, ooh! I'd take that proposition bet.

Bala
02-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Seattle +4 .

If you exclude Seattle's pace lines from those soft teams;
rams, cards, philly, and frisco you get a very ordinary road
team. In this scenario, Pitt should be favored my 9pts.

Also, Pitt's QB {name to long to spell} was injured for a few games
mid season.

Found it -- Roethlisberger, the QB that the Manning brothers dream about.

46zilzal
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
It seems like the Steelers have won their last couple of games by getting off to a great start early in the game, pumped up, and showing a lot of energy right out of the blocks. Wonder how they'll play IF Seattle can meet the same early energy?

Anybody got Early E % for these teams ?
What do you think? Will the winner take it wire to wire, or from just off the pace ?
Don't know if there is a bias at that course

46zilzal
02-03-2006, 03:41 PM
there should just be a single week between the playoffs and the game. The radio clowns dissect the dissections since they run out of germane things to say. ENOUGH ALREADY..beyond a few relevant facts about each team, too much "peripheral-ization" just confuses the issue.

GaryG
02-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Consider this: There are 4 other AFC teams that would likely be fav over Seattle...Indy, Den, NE and Cincy.

46zilzal
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Consider this: There are 4 other AFC teams that would likely be fav over Seattle...Indy, Den, NE and Cincy.
so, it appears that THEY did not make it that far

GaryG
02-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I think Polamalu is a sleeper to win the MVP. He is a bit crazy, but is a big impact player. I could see him getting a defensive TD.Announcer: Well Mr. Polamalu, what will you do now that you are MVP of the Super Bowl champs?
Troy the Trojan: I'm goin' to Disneyland then I'm gonna visit that Toetoe character that don't like me. I'm comin' your way t squared...

46zilzal
02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Polamalu was injured today in practice

Valuist
02-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Once again, the team that took the tougher road to get there prevailed. This will likely happen again in another 7 weeks or so during Final Four weekend, and will probably happen another 4 weeks after that in a little race they call the Kentucky Derby.

ldiatone
02-06-2006, 10:01 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO ONE FOR THE THUMB. NOW ON THE "OTHER HAND"
chef from pittsburgh, pa. HOME OF THE SUPER BOWL WINNERS

cj
02-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Hats off to Pittsburgh. One for winning the Super Bowl, but more importantly, for beating the stinking Colts. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Steelers now! I never thought I'd see the day I was pulling for Pittsburgh, but the confluence of events this season made it happen.

Valuist
02-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Why the Colt hatred? Does this have something to do w/them leaving Baltimore?

cj
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Yep, Baltimore born and raised til the day I headed for Basic Training.

Valuist
02-06-2006, 11:47 AM
At some point, don't you gotta let that go? Your town got a new team....and even beat Irsay to getting a Super Bowl trophy of their own. Or do you not care for the Ravens?

FWIW, there's been talk of the Colts moving again. Not big right now, considering the Colts have been a solid team the past few years. But after Manning retires? A couple bad years and I wouldn't be shocked to see the fan base crumble.

Hosshead
02-06-2006, 08:46 PM
So, if you've always been, and always will be, a Johnny Unitas fan - which team do you root for? Ravens or Colts ? I must admit, when I see that Colts uniform, can't help but think of # 19 .

#19 = 47 straight games in which he threw at least 1 touchdown pass !!
........A record that may never be broken !

cj
02-07-2006, 07:08 AM
At some point, don't you gotta let that go? Your town got a new team....and even beat Irsay to getting a Super Bowl trophy of their own. Or do you not care for the Ravens?

FWIW, there's been talk of the Colts moving again. Not big right now, considering the Colts have been a solid team the past few years. But after Manning retires? A couple bad years and I wouldn't be shocked to see the fan base crumble.

Nope, I will hate them for all eternity. I don't mind the Ravens, but I don't live there anymore, so I don't have the same attachment.

Johnny U a little before my time.

Valuist
04-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Like I said earlier in the thread, the team that took the tougher road (the Steelers) won. I then said we'd see the same thing in the NCAA.

Florida--has beaten George Mason, Villanova, Georgetown, Wis-Milwaukee and South Alabama

UCLA--has beaten LSU, Memphis, Gonzaga, Alabama and Belmont

No question UCLA is more battle tested. I'll give the coaching edge to UCLA as well

UCLA +1