PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lone Star Park Debacle

ranchwest
07-10-2002, 11:40 AM
A few months ago, I disclosed my unpleasant experiences at Lone Star Park. I wrote the management an email and they replied that they would send me some complimentary food and beverage coupons.

Well, would you believe it? I never got the coupons.

Saturday I emailed to notify them that I never got the coupons. So far, I haven't received a response.

At the time of the coupon message exchanges, I provided an address update. I have also filled out several contest forms at the track since then. I don't get any correspondence from them now. I'm wondering if I'm black listed.

My next move? Email Frank Stronach, I guess.

karlskorner
07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Ranchwest;

Had a friend who kept a roll of toilet paper, wrote everybodys name on it who gave him a problem. I guess you made the "List"

Karl

GR1@HTR
07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
RW,

That is a butt load of bad luck my man. Thank goodness only a very few get to experience what you did. When it rains it pours I guess. Good thing the live meet ends this week and there is internet/phone wagering...

ranchwest
07-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
Ranchwest;

Had a friend who kept a roll of toilet paper, wrote everybodys name on it who gave him a problem. I guess you made the "List"

Karl

Ah, but being black listed by Lone Star is like a badge of honor.

I reminded them in my email of their never fulfilled commitment for hundreds of videos that were to be entitled "How to Horse Play".

ranchwest
07-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by GR1
RW,

That is a butt load of bad luck my man. Thank goodness only a very few get to experience what you did. When it rains it pours I guess. Good thing the live meet ends this week and there is internet/phone wagering...

Yeah, through any outfit that hasn't been shut down by the AG.

dav4463
07-11-2002, 04:31 PM
It sure makes one miss Trinity Meadows doesn't it? I miss the country atmosphere, no traffic hassles, tip sheet touters lining the road......don't miss the muddy parking lot after a good rain though!!

ranchwest
07-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by dav4463
It sure makes one miss Trinity Meadows doesn't it? I miss the country atmosphere, no traffic hassles, tip sheet touters lining the road......don't miss the muddy parking lot after a good rain though!!

Yeah, I found it interesting that for LS's first Kentucky Derby their handle was smaller than TM's. Obviously you and I weren't the only ones who liked that type of atmosphere.

Just give me access to the paddock, a concrete floor for my lawn chair, a good teller and then leave me alone. :)

Bubbles
07-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Hey...

If what you say is true, then look no further than Saratoga. It's racing at its best. You can almost hear the faint cries of Richard Dreyfuss....

"GOD LIKES ME! HE REALLY, REALLY LIKES ME!!!!"

Now THAT'S what I call a tried and true day at the races.

dav4463
07-11-2002, 07:47 PM
I totally agree with you Ranchwest and Bubbles. I wish I could spend a day at the races without concerts blasting in between races or stupid promotions that are embarrassing to watch. I hate the way the track caters to the dumb fans. On the other hand, I also don't like the snobby attitude of the skybox types and the employees in the "uppercrust" section. If I go to LS and I'm not dressed particularly well, the employee looks at me and says in a condescending manner,"General Amission?" You're darn right, I am general admission...and proud of it! I would rather save the valet parking and price of suites and fancy food and put it on a good horse. I want to be able to get close to the paddock and smell the horses!
I may be relatively young as far as horse racing fans go, but I am definitely "old School". I would love to come to Saratoga, where racing comes first, not the run of the mill country and western band blasting so loud you can't hear the track PA system notifying you of last minute scratches........Is anybody here to watch this great sport or do we have to have all the extra "entertainment"? By the way, if you think LS is bad, try going to a Mavericks game....I think they play basketball somewhere in between all the idiotic festivities!

ranchwest
07-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Yeah, Lone Star "fixed" the way the National Anthem used to be heard on about 3 or 4 different delays. They just unhooked some of the speakers from the system. Now, there's very few places you can hear a thing. And, they have contests where you're supposed to hear your name called. Fat chance.

I've never seen such a beautiful palace be used as such an outhouse as Lone Star Park is.

I haven't been to Saratoga, but I'll take FG, SA or HOL over LS any day. If LaD didn't have so many dinging betting machines, it would be OK.

dav4463
07-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Was it Sam Houston that had wrestling matches one night between races or was it Lone Star?

smf
07-12-2002, 12:49 AM
The good and bad tonite at Lone Star..

bad stuff-- tried to walk to my normal viewing perch for a turf race for race 3 and was told I had to walk around the front end of the grandstand so as not to walk thru the courtyard--this was a first. There was a Ticket P1 party going on....Say what? I can't walk on the hallowed concrete of the courtyard (like everyone does each and every day of the meet). A joke.

Greatness @ LS..Frankly Tee Riffic won for Steve Asmussen in race2. It was beastly hot and humid tonite before the storms and after the winner's pic was taken it was announced that the winner was claimed from Asmussen.

Three seconds later the horse starts panting and bucking (was in distress, prob heat). Asmussen was walking to the paddock for the next race, saw this horse (that no longer belongs to him) was in trouble, grabs a bucket full of water and some ice and RUNS after Frankie Tee and sponges the old charge off while the hotwalker is doing his best for the horse. Steve finishes cooling the horse a bit and dumped the ice on his back for more relief....

Particularly "different" about the whole deal was you c/ tell he really cared for the old horse that has been in his barn. The look on his face was, well, scared to death for the animal's health.

I've always respected Asmussen for being a great horseman, tonite I respect him for his heart. How many big name trainers would run as fast as hell to help out someone else's horse?

He's a GMF in my book.

ranchwest
07-12-2002, 07:28 AM
SMF,

A long time ago, I watched a trainer's wife cry when one of her husband's former charges broke down. They had just sold the horse about a week earlier. While a lot of people would think that it was lucky that they didn't lose the horse while it was under their watch, her sole concern was for the well-being of the horse. It's good to know there are still folks like her and Asmussen.

Boris
07-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Dav,

Wrastlin at Sammy last Sat night and again on the 20th, the same night as the "Don't Pee Like A Racehorse" contest. Hey, we're running quads right now so you gotta do something. While this place has it's goofyness, it is much better at taking care of it's patrons than our brothers to the north. Drew 24,000 people out for 4th of July fireworks which are the best in the city. Looking forward to whatever this "regional showdown" NTRA is holding there in November. Don't think they'll be wrastlin there that night, but ya never know.

dav4463
07-12-2002, 12:12 PM
I guess it's ok to "wrassle" between quarter horse races! They are over so fast anyway! I have heard a lot of good things about Sam Houston and Retama though. I may take a road trip and try them out.....

cj
07-13-2002, 02:52 PM
For all you Lone Star fans, this is good news I would guess.

CJ

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=10497

so.cal.fan
07-13-2002, 03:16 PM
I have never been to Lone Star, but sure would like to go.
I believe this track will only get better and better.
I know some of you boys have had some unfortunate experiences with management, hey.........just keep complaining!
The only way they will change is for you to keep after them.
They should get their s**t together by the BC.
I may just come and visit.....but not on BC day! Don't have that much confidence in them! LOL
Ranchwest, GR1 and smf............I'll need some help with my handicapping if I visit.......can I count on you guys?

yak merchant
07-13-2002, 06:52 PM
They actually do take pretty good care of the patrons at Sam, but god that place is ugly. It's like Romper Room meets the Playground at McDonalds.

smf
07-13-2002, 09:20 PM
SCF,

Absolutely.

Just give us a heads up when y'all come to LS.

RW is outta town but he'd luv it out there today--classic 'in your wallet before you c/ count to one' stuff. If you came to the races today after 4pm it w/ cost you 4 bucks extra. Some group I've never heard of had a concert (beginning after the races) and they were charging extra to walk outside of the simo pavillion....$2 to park, $3 to get inside the joint, $4 to step outside and watch a race (even if you didn't stay for the concert....

GR1@HTR
07-13-2002, 11:23 PM
SCF,

Just let us know when your coming. Would be a pleasure. To bad you can't make it down for the special closing ceremonies tomorrow. SMF says he might even experiment for the first time and go w/ the $1 tube steak on a bun(aka hot dog). 14 races and $1 lips and a$$ hole sandwich. What more could a fan ask for?

smf
07-14-2002, 12:34 AM
Disgruntled Bar Shoe Bettor, (a Dallas Keen bar shoe wearin' horse won today btw)

Seriously doubt I'll have the guts to eat one of those Fan Appreciation Day $1 hotdogs when I get hungry tomorrow. That burger stand in the courtyard over by the drunken, barfing Gen X'ers is far more appetizing than the Grandstand's Dogs. Thanks for tippin me on that joint. Much better grubb.

SCF,

Forgot to mention that Stronach takes over LS soon, likely next month. I'm holding my breath he doesn't worsen anything. LS does have some good things going for it & hoping things don't change much, really.

BIG_PHIL
07-14-2002, 12:38 AM
I gotta feeling Mr Wrona will be looking for another job....

smf
07-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Phil,

Wrona is well liked here, don't think he's going anywhere other than his winter gig in New Orleans (FG).

Exactly why do you think he'll be "looking for a job."?

BIG_PHIL
07-14-2002, 02:34 AM
I just feel with new people at the top, there are always changes....How many different tracks has he announced at anyway?

smf
07-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Phil,

Very few announcers *don't* move around every few years. Who knows, the new mgmnt may want someone else, but Wrona has been accepted well here since 2000.

Time w/ tell.

BIG_PHIL
07-14-2002, 02:51 PM
I believe he has announced at Birmngham, Arlington, Hollywood, Turf Paradise, Golden Gate, Lone Star, and Fair Grounds...:) please correct me if I am wrong

smf
07-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Phil,

Looks about right to me. He's still at FG, LS so only 5 tracks are in his rear view mirror. I saw an article on Luke K of CD & Tup a while back. His list was twice as long as Wrona's.

We'll just wait n see what shakes out.

ranchwest
07-16-2002, 06:17 PM
so.cal.fan,

It would be great to have you join us at LS.

And, who knows? I might make it to Cal again one of these days. I've been to SA and HOL before and enjoyed it.

cj
07-16-2002, 06:27 PM
When I get back home, maybe I can meet you guys at LS one day. Already looking forward to BC day in '04.

CJ

so.cal.fan
07-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Hey guys,
I would like to have you all visit us at Santa Anita.
Really would like to see you back, safe, CJ.
My son is in Ky. right now, I've never been there either.
I was born in Texas, so I really would like to visit there again.

Dick Schmidt
07-17-2002, 05:24 PM
CJ,

I thought you were coming home. What happened? You didn't re-up did you?

Dick

cj
07-17-2002, 06:30 PM
The Air Force is being nice enough to temporarily extend my summer vacation. Hopefully soon, but I won't believe I'm leaving til I'm in a plane that is airborne! As for re-upping, its too late, I've already invested over 17 years, so I'm in for 3 more.

CJ