PDA

View Full Version : What John Glenn has said

DJofSD
01-21-2006, 09:32 AM
- FYI

WHAT SENATOR JOHN GLENN SAID

Things that make you think a little:

There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.
In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the
month of January. That's just one American city,
about as deadly as the entire war-torn country of Iraq.

When some claim that President Bush shouldn't
have started this war, state the following:

a. FDR led us into World War II.

b. Germany never attacked us; Japan did.
>From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost ...
an average of 112,500 per year.

c. Truman finished that war and started one in Korea.
North Korea never attacked us.
>From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost ...
an average of 18,334 per year.

d John F. Kennedy started the Vietnam conflict in 1962.
Vietnam never attacked us.

e. Johnson turned Vietnam into a quagmire.
>From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost ..
an average of 5,800 per year.

f. Clinton went to war in Bosnia without UN or French consent.
Bosnia never attacked us.
He was offered Osama bin Laden's head on a platter three
times by Sudan and did nothing. Osama has attacked us on
multiple occasions.

g. In the years since terrorists attacked us , President Bush
has liberated two countries, crushed the Taliban, crippled
al-Qaida, put nuclear inspectors in Libya, Iran, and, North
Korea without firing a shot, and captured a terrorist who
slaughtered 300,000 of his own people.

The Democrats are complaining
about how long the war is taking.
But
It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno
to take the Branch Davidian compound.
That was a 51-day operation.

We've been looking for evidence for chemical weapons
in Iraq for less time than it took Hillary Clinton to find
the Rose Law Firm billing records.

It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the
Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard
than it took Ted Kennedy to call the police after his
Oldsmobile sank at Chappaquiddick.

It took less time to take Iraq than it took
to count the votes in Florida!!!!

Our Commander-In-Chief is doing a GREAT JOB!
The Military morale is high!

The biased media hopes we are too ignorant
to realize the facts

But Wait .
There's more!

JOHN GLENN (ON THE SENATE FLOOR)
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:13

Some people still don't understand why military personnel
do what they do for a living. This exchange between
Senators John Glenn and Senator Howard Metzenbaum
is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive
impromptu speech, but it's also a good example of one
man's explanation of why men and women in the armed
services do what they do for a living.

This IS a typical, though sad, example of what
some who have never served think of the military.

Senator Metzenbaum (speaking to Senator Glenn):
"How can you run for Senate
when you've never held a real job?"

Senator Glenn (D-Ohio):
"I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps.
I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions.
My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different
occasions. I was in the space program. It wasn't my
checkbook, Howard; it was my life on the line. It was
not a nine-to-five job, where I took time off to take the
daily cash receipts to the bank."

"I ask you to go with me ... as I went the other day...
to a veteran's hospital and look those men ...
with their mangled bodies . in the eye, and tell THEM
they didn't hold a job!

You go with me to the Space Program at NASA
and go, as I have gone, to the widows and Orphans
of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee...
and you look those kids in the eye and tell them
that their DADS didn't hold a job.

You go with me on Memorial Day and you stand in
Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends
buried than I'd like to remember, and you watch
those waving flags.

You stand there, and you think about this nation,
and you tell ME that those people didn't have a job?

What about you?"

For those who don't remember ..
During W.W.II, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney
representing the Communist Party in the USA.

Now he's a Senator!

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran.

It might not be a bad idea to keep this circulating

xtb
01-21-2006, 10:03 AM
"There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.
month of January."

I think it's horrible to equate the lives of our servicemen/women sacrificing their lives to drug dealers and gang members.

From an article regarding Detroit:

- Drug related disputes: These involved drug gangs or factions, perceived drug rip offs, and retaliatory actions involving drugs. (Police and other experts determined although initial investigations showed drugs as the culprit in 26 percent of murders, these statistics roe to "between 65 and 70 percent" of the city's murders because as Hansen and McConnell reported on August 15, 2004, "the initial analysis is based on whether drugs are found at the crime scene when police arrive."

DJofSD
01-21-2006, 10:07 AM
So it's OK to kill gang bangers and pushers?

Buckeye
01-21-2006, 10:09 AM
yeah, but they all count, right? :(

I think Glenn makes a good point. It's more than a numbers game, it's why they died (for us). Stop counting as if that makes a difference, it is why they died.

xtb
01-21-2006, 10:18 AM
No murder is "OK", but to compare low life scum killing each other to honorable people giving their lives, as if it's the same thing, is not "OK".

JustRalph
01-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Being from Ohio and having heard Glenn speak a few times, I thought it didn't sound like him. Snopes has the scoop.............see the bottom of the page.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/glenn.asp

In 2005, someone prefaced the John Glenn/Howard Metzenbaum article with the following item about Iraq. This addendum has nothing to do with John Glenn — it's an anonymous piece that has been floating around the Internet since 2004, but because it has been tacked onto an article about Glenn, readers have been misled into thinking that it is a transcription of something he said:
THE RIGHT PERSPECTIVE:

WHAT SENATOR JOHN GLENN SAID, Scroll down.

Things that make you think a little........

There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq during January....

In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the month of January.

That's just one American city, about as deadly as the entire war torn country of Iraq.

When some claim President Bush shouldn't have started this war, state the following...

FDR...led us into World War II. Germany never attacked us: Japan did. From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost, an average of 112,500 per year.

Truman...finished that war and started one in Korea, North Korea never attacked us. From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost, an average of 18,334 per year.

John F. Kennedy...started the Vietnam conflict in 1962. Vietnam never attacked us. Johnson...turned Vietnam into a quagmire. From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost, an average of 5,800 per year.

Clinton...went to war in Bosnia without UN or French consent, Bosnia never attacked us. He was offered Osama bin Laden's head on a platter three times by Sudan and did nothing. Osama has attacked us on multiple occasions.

In the years since terrorists attacked us President Bush has ....liberated two countries; crushed the Taliban; crippled al-Qaida; put nuclear inspectors in Libya, Iran, and North Korea without firing a shot; and captured a terrorist who slaughtered 300,000 of his own people.

The Democrats are complaining about how long the war is taking, but...It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno to take the Branch Davidian compound- That was a 51-day operation.

We've been looking for evidence of chemical weapons in Iraq for less time than it took Hillary Clinton to find the Rose Law Firm billing records.

It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard than it took Ted Kennedy to call the police after his Oldsmobile sank at Chapaquiddick.

It took less time to take Iraq than it took to count the votes in Florida!!!!

Our Commander-In-Chief is doing a GREAT JOB! The Military morale is high!

The biased media hopes we are too ignorant to realize the facts.

linrom1
01-21-2006, 11:43 AM

You must be kidding. German submarines fired at US mainland and attacked shipping within US territorial waters.

Tom
01-21-2006, 12:17 PM
"There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.
month of January."

Now what do Detroit and Iraq have in common? :rolleyes:

DJofSD
01-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Now what do Detroit and Iraq have in common?

No good reason to want to live there but some times it's worthwhile to go there to see a good confrontation?

Steve 'StatMan'
01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I have a sense where this is going. I think the punch line is going to be similar to the one about the Prime Minister of Japan and The President of the U.S. while touring a Japanese auto plant. ;)

highnote
01-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Being from Ohio and having heard Glenn speak a few times, I thought it didn't sound like him. Snopes has the scoop.............see the bottom of the page.

I didn't think it sounded like something Glenn would say either. He's more senatorial than this speech makes him sound.

highnote
01-22-2006, 11:01 AM

You must be kidding. German submarines fired at US mainland and attacked shipping within US territorial waters.

That's why attributing this speech to Glenn is bullshit. The writer wants the reader to believe Glenn said these things, when he really didn't.

Seems like someone has an agenda.

kenwoodallpromos
01-22-2006, 11:12 AM
They claimed Glenn said it instead of Howard BECAUSE Glenn is a real hero, not a lilly-livered commie like Howaerd!

highnote
01-22-2006, 11:25 AM
They claimed Glenn said it instead of Howard BECAUSE Glenn is a real hero, not a lilly-livered commie like Howaerd!

It doesn't matter whether he is a hero or not. If it is a lie then it is wrong to attribute it to Glenn. It makes him sound less than senatorial. He deserves more respect. What's wrong with the truth. He has done many notable and noble things. He deserves more respect than this.

You know the saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

rrpic6
01-22-2006, 11:50 AM
"The Military morale is High"??????? I guess you don't know many Servicemen or women or their families. Soldiers on various types of leave are severely depressed about what's really going on in Iraq. Cowboy W. did not put much thought into the conclusion of this mess that he started.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
"Soldiers on various types of leave are severely depressed about what's really going on in Iraq.

That's odd. What I read here from a guy who actually served in Iraq and knows lots of servicemen, plus what I read elsewhere leads me to believe just the opposite. If anything, servicemen are upset that what is getting reported here doesn't do justice to what they are accomplishing over there....

Seems like the truth is stuck somewhere in the middle, waiting to get out....who will you believe?

BTW, what are your sources for the "soldiers are severely depressed about what's really going on in Iraq?" How many soldiers are we talking about here? And with that quote, are you claiming that we are not REALLY being told what is going on in Iraq?

rrpic6
01-22-2006, 03:11 PM
I just talked to the father of a soldier that came home around Christmas. The Army let him go home for his grandmother's funeral. There is supposed to be a "cooling off" period before soldiers go home. There is a debriefing of what they can and can not say once they are back in the USA. The Army let this soldier bypass the meetings to go home quickly. Once at home the soldier has told some horrific stories that he should have kept to himself, according to the army. He told of many young men in his company that are very depressed about the lack of organization and purpose over there. One young soldier was just starting to feel better, as many other soldiers give each other pep talks and positive statements, when he was killed later that day by a suicide bomber. This soldier also talked of the random searches of homes. The Army kicks in the doors, randomly, because of no clear evidence from intelligence sources, of Iraqi homes. Once in awhile a man with a gun is waiting on the other side. The soldiers do not know if this a terrorist or a civilian. If the man raises his gun...well we know the ending. So psychologically, our soldiers are being affected by constantly being afraid of being killed or killing others because no one knows for sure which Iraqi's are the enemy.

kenwoodallpromos
01-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Is your latest post 1 example or are you BSing about "many soldiers"? I was in the Navy but as far as "purpose", I would not expect the average military person to fully understand how their particular job fits into the big picture politically. As far as being depressed about killing or being killed, every military person should decide if they want to take the risk before joining but once in you have to go where ordered and do what is lawfully ordered.

lsbets
01-22-2006, 06:56 PM
There is supposed to be a "cooling off" period before soldiers go home. There is a debriefing of what they can and can not say once they are back in the USA. The Army let this soldier bypass the meetings to go home quickly.

That is completely, totally, 100% false. There is no cooling off period - you get a quick customs briefing and a chaplains briefing. On emeergency leave it is done on a one on one basis so that you can get on the next civilian flight and not have to wait for the next R&R flight. No one is told what to say or what not to say, soldiers are encouraged to talk about what they do and told about some of the difficulties relating to others when they are home. But, soldiers are told not to drink too much because its been a while, and not to drink and drive.

If he got to go home for his grandmother's funeral he was very fortunate. Regulations do not allow for emergency leave in the case of grandparents, so he must have a commander who was really looking out for him.

But, the first part of your statement is pure bullshit.

lsbets
01-22-2006, 07:00 PM
"The Military morale is High"??????? I guess you don't know many Servicemen or women or their families.

Just got home from drill - a mission came down, we needed volunteers for a one year tour, and the mission over filled in about 10 minutes. Morale is very high. Talked to some friends who just got home, and their experience was like mine - normal gripes that happen everyday in the Army, but reenlistment was at the highest rate they ever saw, and several guys they were there with volunteered to extend.

Oh yeah, I gave two soldiers their reenlistment oaths today. Yeah - morale is high.

rrpic6
01-23-2006, 12:48 AM
If re-enlistments are so high why is the Army refusing to release the latest percentage of recruits that are Section 4's on their tests? Originally only 2% were supposed to be allowed, then it was 4%, now it is in double digits. This means less soldiers with the proper mental and intelligent skills going to combat, which endangers the rest of their company. As far as the cooling off period, this was the debriefing, so its not bullshit. the soldier I was talking about never was debriefed. And of course soldiers are not permitted to disclose their location when communicating back home. I'd assume its also the practice not to disclose certain missions.

lsbets
01-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Reenlistment and recruiting are two different things. I have never seen reenlistment rates as high as they are now.

Once again, soldiers are not told what they can and cannot say when they are home. Obviously they can't call home and say "Hey this is the mission we're about to do" but the only time communications from there to here are really censored is when someone dies. No one is allowed to talk about the casualty to anyone back home until it has been confirmed that the family has been notified, because the worst thing in the world would be for a family to find out through the grapevine. But that's not what you said - you said soldiers are told what they can and can't say when they're home. Unless we're talking about classified information, that statement is simply untrue.

Tom
01-23-2006, 08:20 AM
If re-enlistments are so high why is the Army refusing to release the latest percentage of recruits that are Section 4's on their tests? Originally only 2% were supposed to be allowed, then it was 4%, now it is in double digits. This means less soldiers with the proper mental and intelligent skills going to combat, which endangers the rest of their company. As far as the cooling off period, this was the debriefing, so its not bullshit. the soldier I was talking about never was debriefed. And of course soldiers are not permitted to disclose their location when communicating back home. I'd assume its also the practice not to disclose certain missions.

If they aren't releasing this info, how do you know what the rates are?

rrpic6
01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
If they aren't releasing this info, how do you know what the rates are?

The front page of MSN.com had the story about the test scores last week. I wish I had saved it.

rrpic6
01-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Isbets:

My posts were not meant to offend any soldiers. I'm behind them 100% all the way. The soldier I was writing about had been near Fallujah for quite awhile. That area is still very volatile, so the rules might be a little different. And some might have been about Special Forces. I tip my hat to you for your service to our country. I wish you nothing but God's protection if you go back.

lsbets
01-23-2006, 08:30 PM
The soldier I was writing about had been near Fallujah for quite awhile. That area is still very volatile, so the rules might be a little different.

I don't need anyone to tell me about Fallujah, I'm way too familiar with it, especially Good Friday, April 9th, 2004. I'm very familiar with what the rules are. Out of all the missions we ran, about a third of them went to Fallujah.

rrpic6
01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm sure you are. Good luck in the future.