PDA

View Full Version : IS this Jockey Human

Pick 3- King
01-20-2006, 10:34 PM
I mean Julien LEparoux had 4 winners again while I was at Turfway, seeing flashed of John Velazquez,and I mean this kid is the real deal no dought in my mind, and he isn't riding favorites either, all $10 or higher, soon people will no this guy.

Figman
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Julien Leparoux showed some talent at Saratoga this August winning three of a dozen or so mounts in his US debut.

Kitan
01-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Julien Leparoux...Saratoga...The nightcap...August 18th, 2005.

I liked a horse he was on at 35-1. Wasn't sure what type of rider he was so I didn't play him WPS or key him in my exotics.

Of course he wins and left me steaming mad.

That's irrelevant to what you're talking about though.

He's a real nice apprentice though.

Macdiarmadillo
01-21-2006, 02:36 AM
A remarkably patient rider and that also includes sticking through the Turfway meet instead of running off to the next hot spot as apprentices do. Hopefully, he catches on with some good stables at CD (or wherever he goes next) and we can cash some good ones there.

BIG49010
01-21-2006, 07:54 AM
He seems to hug the rails, and at Turfway with no speed bias, the rail is the only advantage that I see on the poly if the horse likes it down there.

GlenninOhio
01-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm pretty new and I'm not sure of the posting etiquette as far as copying and pasting from another thread, but I just posted extensively about Leparaux in a Turfway Park thread and thought it would be most relevant here, so here goes.

Hot Turfway apprentice
Quote:
Turfway is also the home of "on fire" apprentice rider Julien Leparoux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
He "torched" me Thur. evening. It appears that he is moving his horses ahead a few lengths by my figs. I had not made notice of him before the winter meeting at Turfway.

Murph

Murph -

Leparoux is winning at a 30% clip with an average win price of $8.60, so his ROI is in excess of 25%. Perhaps another way of saying he moves his horses ahead a few lengths.

I once had a conversation with Jerry Brown in which he advised that owners should go with the hot bug boy every time, especially if the track is below first tier where the rider talent pool is not that deep, because even the 5 pound allowance is good for a length at most distances.

Of course, there are many who say weight is irrelevant plus many who say the rider is irrelevant and I'd leave it to them to explain Leparaux's off the charts figs.

My take is the weight helps a bit plus this guy is very talented.

My wife recently remarked after having watched a half-dozen or so of his winning efforts that in the lane Leparaux seems to get down very close to the horse's ears as if he's whispering to the horse, plus he's very sparing with the whip. Yeah, I know, touchy-feely "horse whisperer" stuff that might get a few yuks on the board, but it's a damned sight better than riders like Perry Ouzts who whip their animals from start to finish and get little in the way of results.

One man's opinion.

JustRalph
01-21-2006, 10:48 AM
but it's a damned sight better than riders like Perry Ouzts who whip their animals from start to finish and get little in the way of results.

Outz has been doing it for 30 yrs too.........I hate the guy...he has got to be 55-60 by now...........

Buddha
01-21-2006, 11:23 AM
one nice thing about being a good bug boy is once you start doing good, most trainers will want to ride you on their better horses. while he is doing well with the bug, the real question is once he makes the transition to journeyman, how will he continue to ride

The Regular Pick3
01-21-2006, 11:25 AM
in my mind even better

I wouldent be suprised to see him win the meet at Saratoga next year...over John Velazquez

stuball
01-21-2006, 06:58 PM
I would think it all depends on who his agent is...anybody know who it is...
Jock may be god but if he does not get the rides...he does not win..

Other very good bugs have come from TP and when they leave they don't get the rides they got at TP...either because agent stays behind..or does not have contacts at other tracks...Anybody have any thoughts on this..

Stuball :bang: :bang: :lol:

Red Knave
01-21-2006, 08:45 PM
...the real question is once he makes the transition to journeyman, how will he continue to ride
I know that CJ just LOVED this guy last year at Toga :D:rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Is that the same jockey Red Knave? If it is, it must be a miracle...cause he didn't look very good at the Spa back in August....

Buddha
01-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Is that the same jockey Red Knave? If it is, it must be a miracle...cause he didn't look very good at the Spa back in August....
he rode a few nice turf winners at big prices that i can remember

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy?

JulieKrone
01-22-2006, 03:00 AM
This goes back to my point re jumping on biases: this kid is very good and very hot-- jump on him now while the prices are still ok. It's almost found money.

cj
01-22-2006, 07:09 AM
I know that CJ just LOVED this guy last year at Toga :D:rolleyes:

Oh yes, he got a couple turf horses home at big prices for us. I think he was a 10 lb bug at the time, but I don't know that for sure.

cj
01-22-2006, 07:10 AM

He looked good in the winner's circle, though I'll admit, not very good atop a horse at the time.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2006, 02:46 PM
This wasn't the jockey you waited outside the jocks room to say "hello" to (if you get my drift...lol).....is it?

cj
01-22-2006, 03:08 PM
No, that was Lakeman!

I believe I said, "Nice ride Lakeman, your talents may be better appreciated at Penn!"

Turfday
01-22-2006, 04:09 PM
His current stats indicate that he's winning at a 23% clip based on 266 mounts and 61 wins. Average price win mutuel = $11.00. He's 28 for 54 with race favorites, which is excellent.

sjk
01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
I would think it all depends on who his agent is...anybody know who it is...
Jock may be god but if he does not get the rides...he does not win..

Other very good bugs have come from TP and when they leave they don't get the rides they got at TP...either because agent stays behind..or does not have contacts at other tracks...Anybody have any thoughts on this..

Stuball :bang: :bang: :lol:

He rode a beautiful race for us this afternoon. His agent is Steve Bass.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2006, 08:32 PM
No, that was Lakeman!

I believe I said, "Nice ride Lakeman, your talents may be better appreciated at Penn!"

Right! It's all coming back to me now....lol

Zaf
01-22-2006, 08:48 PM
When I arrived at the PA Saratoga Getaway I remember playing him on Ballfour in a turf route, he opened up a huge lead and held the horse together very nicely for an easy win at 7-1 , keying a $200 plus exacta. I think a few of us in the tent caught that one. Glad to see him doing well at TP.

Z

toetoe
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
He had a few VERY long winners/placers at Saratoga. Okay, faint praise, but he's the best French jockey we have stateside.

Valuist
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Somebody mentioned that he likes the rail. Sometimes. Other times he will go very wide, which on the Polytrack seems to often be beneficial because the horses aren't getting kickback in their faces. He has a patented move in which he's behind the leaders turning for home and he steers very wide entering the stretch, a good 2 paths out from the widest of the leaders. I used to think this would cost him but it seems like he's usually on the right side of the photos, and I think avoiding the kickback is a big factor there.

As for being the best French jockey here, we can only judge him after he becomes a journeyman. Brice Blanc has had a pretty good career so I'm not ready to say Leparoux is better than him yet.

Red Knave
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Okay, faint praise, but he's the best French jockey we have stateside.
You cannot be serious! Even better than Jean-Luc ?? :p

Red Knave
01-23-2006, 05:26 PM
not very good atop a horse at the time.He always looked like he was going to fall off.

And I think CJ just liked saying the name. ;)

The FrenchCanadian word for werewolf is similar to LeParoux. It's Loup Garoux or something like that. Maybe Z can help me out.

Overlay
01-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Loup-garou.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/7/L0260700.html

JulieKrone
01-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Geographical area in France-- Paroux. Last names Paroux, Le Paroux, Leparoux...

Where's Mark Cramer when you need him?

Valuist
06-19-2006, 05:05 PM
No question he's tore up Kentucky but other than Gorella, who was life and death at 3-5, has he won a race north of the Ohio River this year? Bright lights/big city when he gets to NY? I know he hasn't had too many rides but he might be worth fading in New York until he proves he can win there.

rastajenk
06-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I think he had some Saratoga wins last year before he became the Poly Prince.

cj
06-20-2006, 09:16 AM
I think he had some Saratoga wins last year before he became the Poly Prince.

He did for sure, I remember one $90 horse on the turf very well.

Valuist
06-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm talking about 2006. He's had a number of trips to Bel and both Med days and the Gorella race is the only one I've seen him win.

In 2005, he was a nobody so there was no expectations and no pressure. I'm curious to see how he handles the big expectations.

sealord
06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Hey Valuist-

I know you're a local at AP: what ever happened to Kuntzweiler? I haven't seen her down there this season. And, is there another new female jock, maybe an apprentice?
I've only been down twice so far, but Emigh is off the chain yet again.
:ThmbUp:

Valuist
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
She was arrested. They arrested her for having a crystal meth lab in her apartment in Kentucky. I believe charges were dropped and she's trying to get her jockey's license back.

The new female rider is Laurie Keith. I believe she came from Turf Paradise but I could be wrong on that.

Here is a link on Kuntzweiler:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=drf/news/BWN4013721.htm

GeTydOn
06-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Bejarno was supposed to be the shooting star. I guess he does ok. But not like all the praise he was getting that winter. Two winters ago? Biancone uses Leparoux. That'll get him on some nice horses. After the bug who knows?