PDA

View Full Version : How To Read A Workout Line?

ernie simons
01-20-2006, 09:44 AM
01.15.06 PBD Rectory Hill 1/2 :48 2/5

Can somebody tell me how to read this workout line? Also, if there were a t after the 1/2 would that denote a turf workout?

jotb
01-20-2006, 10:43 AM
01.15.06 PBD Rectory Hill 1/2 :48 2/5

Can somebody tell me how to read this workout line? Also, if there were a t after the 1/2 would that denote a turf workout?

This horse did'nt work at PBD (Palm Beach Downs). He worked over at PMM which is Palm Meadows Training Center. If this work was over the turf, I believe you would be able to tell by the suface condition such as FM (Firm).

Joe

ernie simons
01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok, but what do the numbers mean jotb? The only number I can recognize is the time. I got this workout line from Todd Pletchers web site. Don't understand any of it.

Figman
01-20-2006, 11:24 AM
It is really quite simple.

Reading across is the month, date, year, track or training center, horse's name, distance worked and time for the work.
http://tinyurl.com/cbfy4

ernie simons
01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
It is really quite simple.

Reading across is the month, date, year, track or training center, horse's name, distance worked and time for the work.
http://tinyurl.com/cbfy4

Ok, I get it up to the 1/2. Is that the distance worked? 1/2 mile? 4F?
I get the time worked. What's the 2/5 figure?
Couldn't get the link to work Figman.

headhawg
01-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Uh...48 and 2 fifths seconds? Hence the 2/5, or make it four tenths if you like.

And as Figman wrote, yes the 1/2 of a mile or 4 furlongs is the distance worked. Eight furlongs to a mile.

ernie simons
01-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Ok, got it. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

Figman
01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
This link should work better. Click on "workouts" at the top right of the page.
http://www.tlorehorses.com/trainers/pletcher/index.cfm

kenwoodallpromos
01-20-2006, 12:12 PM
I thought the 1/2 means this horse was the fastest 1 out of 2 that worked the distance?

kenwoodallpromos
01-20-2006, 12:16 PM
RECTORY HILL (KY) 48.40 h 6/50

Figman
01-20-2006, 12:21 PM
These are individually reported workouts of the Todd Pletcher horses.

Your are thinking of the Equibase reporting of all horses working on a particular day which are then ranked by distance, speed and type of work.

As to distance, trainer speak is "fractions of a mile" while Equibase speak is "furlongs".

jotb
01-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok, I get it up to the 1/2. Is that the distance worked? 1/2 mile? 4F?
I get the time worked. What's the 2/5 figure?
Couldn't get the link to work Figman.

Hello Ernie:

It's good for you to ask these questions but try not to get hung up on workouts as a handicapping tool. They really don't mean to much to a handicapper. Many workouts are not legit and unless you are there in the morning it's going to be extremely difficult for you to know if the horse got something out of the work and even if you are there in the morning my suggestion would be for you to know the markings of each horse that trainer has in his or her barn. If you insist on using workouts as a handicapping tool I would suggest you look for how a horse is working up to a race in terms of spacing of works and stamina (use this as a guide for younger horses and horses that have been on the shelf) and this will help decide whether the horse is fit enough. If a racehorse has been active (been racing) works don't really mean anything to a handicapper because the horse is fit enough already. I hope this helps you some.

Joe

ernie simons
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Hello Ernie:

It's good for you to ask these questions but try not to get hung up on workouts as a handicapping tool. They really don't mean to much to a handicapper. Many workouts are not legit and unless you are there in the morning it's going to be extremely difficult for you to know if the horse got something out of the work and even if you are there in the morning my suggestion would be for you to know the markings of each horse that trainer has in his or her barn. If you insist on using workouts as a handicapping tool I would suggest you look for how a horse is working up to a race in terms of spacing of works and stamina (use this as a guide for younger horses and horses that have been on the shelf) and this will help decide whether the horse is fit enough. If a racehorse has been active (been racing) works don't really mean anything to a handicapper because the horse is fit enough already. I hope this helps you some.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Normally I don't put too much emphasis on workouts. It's just that I happen to see these posted workouts and didn't understand the numbers. My curiosity got the better of me. Thanks again for the help.

kenwoodallpromos
01-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Thank you! I learned something new today! And marked Pletcher's website!
6/50 is a good workout IMO.