PDA

View Full Version : Best Software Betting Line

Lasix1
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
I read the polls on "Best" and "Worst" software, and remember thinking of something Barry Meadow once said. He has always been skeptical of handicapping software and when asked if he would ever use one said "I might if I could find one that produced an accurate betting line." (or words to that effect)

I'm in the same boat. I make an odds line for every race and try to find value because I've never been able to figure out a way to make money by simply picking winners with a computer program or otherwise. The computer programs that pick the most winners never made me any money because their picks are typically underlays by the time you get to the track. Dick Mitchel (RIP) said that the reason horse players lose is because they bet too many underlays. Given the mathematics of betting, that seems right to me.

So here's the question: Which software programs out there generate the most effective and accurate betting lines? Naturally, I'm speaking of those like All-in-One that even produce a betting line.

I'd sure appreciate reasoned responses to this question from the many fine handicappers on our board, although I understand the question is actually quite complicated and may be unanswerable--or at least unanswerable in the form in which I've posed it.

Fire away!

Sailwolf
01-19-2006, 11:36 PM
I read the polls on "Best" and "Worst" software, and remember thinking of something Barry Meadow once said. He has always been skeptical of handicapping software and when asked if he would ever use one said "I might if I could find one that produced an accurate betting line." (or words to that effect)

I'm in the same boat. I make an odds line for every race and try to find value because I've never been able to figure out a way to make money by simply picking winners with a computer program or otherwise. The computer programs that pick the most winners never made me any money because their picks are typically underlays by the time you get to the track. Dick Mitchel (RIP) said that the reason horse players lose is because they bet too many underlays. Given the mathematics of betting, that seems right to me.

So here's the question: Which software programs out there generate the most effective and accurate betting lines? Naturally, I'm speaking of those like All-in-One that even produce a betting line.

I do not think a computer will be able to pick winners and be profitable. There is too many variables (some tangible and some intangible -something you cannot put on finger on). Also, which factors are worth more in this race than the next race.

I think Dick Mitchell (two Ls- God bless his soul) stated the computer was the beginning of a person's anaylsis, not the end.:bang:

headhawg
01-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Lasix1,

Jcapper looks pretty impressive from these results. Check out this recent thread.

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24759&page=1

Look for the post by Jeff P (#14).

HH

Lasix1
01-19-2006, 11:46 PM
I think Dick Mitchell (two Ls- God bless his soul) stated the computer was the beginning of a person's anaylsis, not the end.:bang:
This much is right for sure. My question is wondering whether a computer can produce betting lines that can pick enough overlays to make a profit.

Lasix1
01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks, Headhawg. I missed that thread. I'll check it out as well as Jcapper. Sounds promising. Making lines by hand is wonderful for learning the game, but it sure is tedious and time-consuming. (But then so is good handicapping!)

hdcper
01-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Lasix1,

I agree with Headhawg, Jcapper software has a great odds line and many other nice features.

The website is Jcapper.com and there is a demo so you can take a look.

If you need a quick start once you get it downloaded, feel free to yell and I will be glad to walk you through some of the features over the phone.

Bill

Lasix1
01-19-2006, 11:57 PM
That's two votes for jcapper. Thanks Hdcper, and thanks for the offer of help. I may take you up on it...

Blackgold
01-20-2006, 08:21 AM
I like the way Handicapping Magic, not only produces an odds line, but a contention odds line. . . in other words, an estimate on how the public is likely to bet.

It's uncanny how many times the contention odds line is right in there. I use it to determine if I'm going to get involved in a race.

And it helps me to detect 'smart' or 'dumb' money on a race, if a runner opens way below his contention odds line.

Good luck all this weekend in Sunshine Millions. I often find some huge overlays here since many runners are coming from different tracks and as I've stated on this board before, the PPF (projected power fraction of HM) is the most accurate number I've ever found for track-to-track comparisons.

shanta
01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Software I have used that have some form of oddsline:

Sartin
Hsh
Master Magician
Synergism Vi
Tmh

To ME there is one that is by far and away the best

Synergism VI

Richie

kitts
01-20-2006, 01:28 PM
All odds lines that I have seen generated by computer are a reflection of the computer's selection's probability of winning. It would be impossible, IMHO, to computer generate an accurate oddsline.

garyoz
01-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Being a software junkie, I've used alot of programs. The worst oddsline, handsdown--no competition, is Allways. I agree with Richie that the Best oddsline is Synergism VI--also with no close competitors.

JackS
01-20-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm curious. For SW programs that let you designate track take-out, wouldn't setting the take at (say) 30% and then hunting down those horses actually paying a fair price for this take actually pay off in the longrun?
The problem I can possibly forsee is that you may actually price yourself off some plays that you would have had if you didn't do this.
Long term results should be the answer though and if playing a standard line ,demanding value could produce the exact samething or something very close.

Fred
01-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I thought CAPSHEET produced an accurate odds line. I don't use it much anymore due to high cost and i went a different direction.

Freddy

betovernetcapper
01-21-2006, 03:58 PM
I prefer Netcapper's line to others I've seen. A unique feature is that it not only produces a line, it tracks how the line has been proforming not only as overlays but as underlays. It provides a better betting context. :)

Maxspa
01-22-2006, 01:13 PM
All,
I agree with Gary on the All-Ways oddsline and I think their poor pace line
selection would be part of the problem.
Betovernet has pointed one of the best and real unique aspect of Netcapper. Gordon Pine is very innovative and has used the overlay and betting track concept with his line to make a difference. Better yet Gordon's website has many articles he has written to explain his position on many crucial handicapping principles.
Maxspa

garyoz
01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Never used Netcapper, so don't have an opinion...just checked out their demo--very nicely done.

trying2win
01-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Lasix1,

I agree with Headhawg, Jcapper software has a great odds line and many other nice features.

The website is Jcapper.com and there is a demo so you can take a look.

If you need a quick start once you get it downloaded, feel free to yell and I will be glad to walk you through some of the features over the phone.

Bill

HDCPER:

Why use a phone to talk with fellow handicappers who live far away? Unless you don't mind spending lots of money on long distance charges. I like using the voice-to-voice chats over the internet, with each party using a microphone and speakers. No long distance charges either.

Thanks,

T2W

hdcper
01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
T2W,

Interesting idea, I have never tried that.

However, my cell phone does provide unlimited calling at certain times of the day and all day on weekends. Most people I have chatted with, seem to have the same.

Who knows maybe I will give it a try someday, just need the microphone and speakers.

Thanks for the idea,

Bill

trying2win
01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
HDCPER:

I forgot to mention that I use Yahoo Messenger for the voice to voice chats over the internet. Of course there are other messenger programs available as well.

T2W