PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question

so.cal.fan
01-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I know nothing....so please don't laugh. :confused:
I was wondering how you get all your personal information OFF an old computer you are getting rid of?
I'm on Windows XP......a have a few very small accounts online.
Such as Barnes and Noble where make a small purchase once in a while.
But all my information is in my computer......is there anyway to get rid of this so someone bad can't get your information?

Tom
01-17-2006, 04:46 PM
You could reformat the hard drive before you sell it or donate it to someone.

They can reinstall the OS when they get it.

OTM Al
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I would take it one step even farther and delete everything but the OS. Defrag the system at least once and then reformat the whole thing leaving it a blank slate.

twindouble
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I know nothing....so please don't laugh. :confused:
I was wondering how you get all your personal information OFF an old computer you are getting rid of?
I'm on Windows XP......a have a few very small accounts online.
Such as Barnes and Noble where make a small purchase once in a while.
But all my information is in my computer......is there anyway to get rid of this so someone bad can't get your information?

Well, according to the Democrats, you might just burn the sucker to pervent Bush from reading it. :lol: I know nothing.

Wiley
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Another option if you are just recycling your old computer, pull the hard disk and keep it. If you want to and there is room, install it into your new computer to use as a second drive.

michiken
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Windoze users are under the impression that deleting a file actually works! In reality only the filename is removed - the actual file remains on the hard drive or stay's hidden in the recycle bin until the OS decides to overwrite that portion of the hard drive.

Here is a link to a great wiping program called BCWipe (http://www.jetico.com/) It uses the Department of Defense (DOD) method to shred files so the data can never be recovered. Make sure to get all those hidden windoze folders with Temp Internet files etc!

After wiping the data, you could install a Linux operating system which will erase/reformat the hard drive as it is installed. Their are 2 advantages to using this method:

1. The DOS/FAT filesystem will be completly overwritten with a Linux ext2, ext3 or reiserfs file system which can't easily be read by windoze. Installing one of these filesystems will totally overwrite the hard drive.

2. Most Linux Distributions include the operating system with tons of free software. Once installed, you can leave it on the hard drive for the next user or prospective buyer. (This will prove that all of the computer hardware works).

Check out the free download of Ubuntu Linux Single CD called Breezy Badger (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download)

so.cal.fan
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks, guys
I copied your replies and put it in a folder. It will come in handy when I get rid of this computer. It works fine now, but the question of the hard drive information always puzzled me.

Twin Double? :lol:
I don't think President Bush would be interested in anything on my computer.
I never visit any websites that are questionable, except maybe PA off topic :lol:
I also am confident that President Bush is an integrous man, who would not be interested in stealing my little credit card. :rolleyes:

Hosshead
01-17-2006, 08:02 PM
If you wanna buy it:
Was in Office Max (San Dimas) the other day and noticed they had "Drive Washer" $29.99 for just your purpose. Can buy a little cheaper online.
Here's the info: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1576853&cid=0&fp=F