PDA

View Full Version : Hope you all had a happy MLK day.

ljb
01-16-2006, 10:29 PM
This is late but, i want to wish all posters a happy Martin Luther King day.

PaceAdvantage
01-17-2006, 02:48 AM
I was having a happy MLK day until I heard my esteemed Senator from NY, a one Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton, compare the Republican-controlled House to a Southern plantation back in the days of slavery.....

That really warmed my heart and brought back nothing but fond memories of the good Dr. King....here he was, a man devoted to creating a society where race was meaningless, and all men and women are equal....and on his birthday, we have Mrs. Clinton pulling out the race card once again for the Democratic party....how nice.

You must be so proud LJB....

Mrs. Clinton added that the House has been "run like a plantation" under Republicans. "And you know what I am talking about," she said.

Her comments, made before a predominantly black audience at the Canaan Baptist Church of Christ in Harlem, drew a harsh response from national Republicans, but black leaders came to her defense.

wes
01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
The Democrats made it a big "HORSE SHIT DAY" Hillary and Gore hates the presidents office so bad then why the hell do or did they seek such a position? I thought the day was about MLK, not the president of the United States.

wes

Tom
01-17-2006, 08:32 AM
What if I said my town was going to be vanilla – going to be 67% white, because that’s the way God wants it.? Think there be some kind of outrage, some racist labels being assigned?

So when Mayor Ray Nagan says that NO will be chocolate – two thirds African American because that’s the way God wants it, where is the racist outcry fro the libs, from the NY Times, from every other big-mouth out there?

Our own nest of libs was crying when Pat Robertson said God might have gotten Ariel Sharon for dividing God’s country, but Mayor Ray said that the hurricane might have been punishment from God against blacks for not taking care of each other….hmmmmm,

Sec, could you explain the difference to me?

Tom
01-17-2006, 08:38 AM
MLK must have had one very large overcoat, because a lot of wanna be's have been riding on his coat tails for years. Hillary insults a great man with her typical lib remarks. I didn ot agree with all of Dr. King's agenda, but he was mostly right, and did more for America as a private citizen that the SOB Bill Clinton did in 8 years as president, more than that buffoon Jimmy Carter did in 4 years, and up until the time he realized his role in life and donned coveralls, more that that idiot Kerry and Big-head Ted have done their lifetime in the senate. MLK was an American hero....Hillary is a national embarrassment.

Hey America....this bitch wants to be president....PLEASE elect her and get her fat ass out of NY state - dilute her BS over 50 states, not concentrate it in one.

Bobby
01-17-2006, 11:02 AM
For nagin to say that chocolate stuff is pretty damn bad. And pretty damn racist.

JustRalph
01-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I have never met a black women who tasted like chocolate..............

Bobby
01-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I have never met a black women who tasted like chocolate..............
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
01-17-2006, 12:54 PM
For nagin to say that chocolate stuff is pretty damn bad. And pretty damn racist.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. After all, non-African American people have and ought to be able to live in New Orleans too. That was all part of MLK's dream, that we could all learn to live together.

Hopefully Nagin didn't drive too many people away, although the whole Katrina disaster would certainly chase away far more people, regardless of race.

lsbets
01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
I thought Chocolate New Orleans was a dessert! :confused:

DIdn't they come out with a movie this year:

Mayor Nagin and the Chocolate Factory ?

chickenhead
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I would like to see what would happen if the white mayor of anywhere said that God wanted XYZ to be a white town again, and he was pissed cause it wasn't white enough. He'd get crucified, and rightly so.

Secretariat
01-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Hillary is a national embarrassment.

Hey America....this bitch wants to be president....PLEASE elect her and get her fat ass out of NY state - dilute her BS over 50 states, not concentrate it in one.

I agree. She is a national embarassment, but I sure as heck don't want her elected. She is on a par with GW to me.

As to Nagin, his remarks were as stupid as Roberts were. I don't care what party someone is if they make stupid remarks like that he shoudl be called for it. Robertson's an idiot in his Israel comments and assasinatin comments, Nagin's an idiot for his racist remarks and hurricane Katrina being God's wrath. Stupidity isn't restricted by party affiliation. Just ask Lefty.

Valuist
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
My day would've been better if Turfway and LaD had run yesterday. I'm not sure why they'd stay dark for a holiday (no pun intended re: the NO comments)

toetoe
01-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Depending on the heat of the invading water, New Orleans may be blanched. That would be too much for In-Again, Out-Again, On-Again, Off-Again Ray-Nagin.

JustRalph
01-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I thought Chocolate New Orleans was a dessert! :confused:

DIdn't they come out with a movie this year:

Mayor Nagin and the Chocolate Factory ?

http://www.columbuscool.com/wonka.jpg

lsbets
01-17-2006, 02:28 PM
JR - that is the funniest post of the year! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
01-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Isn't it great that on a PA forum we can have a racist thread that everyon take light-hearted= as intended?
BTW- Baze just won the Most-wins-in-a-year Murphy award named for a black jockey! Congrats to Baze!

Bobby
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Nagin is on Anderson Cooper tonite 9cst. Anderson gonna quiz him on his "chocolate" comments.

toetoe
01-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Love the montage, Ralphie. :lol:

Sec, you haven't learned, man. Colored folks, oops, folks of color, that is, by definition can NOT be racists. The prevalence of this belief makes me want to :lol: or :( , I can't decide which. :confused:

GaryG
01-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Carter County TN is as vanilla as you can get. Don't know if God wants it that way or the "folks of color" don't like the mountains......Maybe our friend lbj has the answer...:lol:

Buckeye
01-17-2006, 07:05 PM
MLK

Happy birthday. Your dream is a reality in my heart.

toetoe
01-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Bobby,

That reminds me of a host more "qualified" to interview "great" black "leaders" --- Tavis Smiley. He had Louis Farra Con Man on his show, and I wanted them to get a room. Where's the impartiality? :confused:

GaryG
01-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Where's the impartiality? :confused:Not in the mass media, that's for sure. Maybe it is right here on PA. We seem like a pretty impartia...er, never mind.

JustRalph
01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
http://www.louisianapageants.com/storage/mayorwonka.gif

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Let me just say I'm pretty disappointed in many of the posts in this thread. Some I even had to remove because I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Even for off-topic, this leaves me shaking my head.

As JustRalph likes to say, this is a community. And in any community, you have your good and your bad folks. I was always under the impression that our particular community tried its best (along with a little nudge or two from me at times) to keep things a level or two above the other junk that flies around out there on the web....

The way this thread has turned leads me to believe I may have overestimated things a bit....

Bobby
01-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Different life experiences. We didn't go to the all-white elite prep schools with the kennedy's and the bush's. We go to deer camp. Stick some of you guys in an all black classroom and you might be eminem.

boxcar
01-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. After all, non-African American people have and ought to be able to live in New Orleans too. That was all part of MLK's dream, that we could all learn to live together.

Bingo!!! You're right on target. King's "dream" was to unfiy the races --not divide them. I believe, from what I've read about him and some things by him, as well that he would have been appalled by all things that now tend to divide the races and the country, e.g. the label "African-American", black proms, black colleges, affirmative action, all government-sponsored social programs that give preference to minorities or "people of color", etc., etc.

Many of the so-called black leaders today, I think are racist to the core; for they promote more than a separate but equal agenda; they support a separate and better agenda! And what makes blacks "better" in their mind is that they are "more deserving" because they've been victims all their lives. All whiteys are out to get all black people, according to these leaders who love to stereotype. Promoting the idea of perpetual victimhood has done more harm to blacks and the entire country. Why would an angry black person want to integrate with whites and live in harmony with his white "persecutors"?

MLK must be turning over in his grave on a daily basis!

Boxcar

chickenhead
01-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought Garys post was funny, damn funny PA. Over the top humor doesn't rate a place here anymore?
Since Gary has always come across like a good guy, I assume his post came from a good place.

GaryG
01-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Chicken Man....how is the kitty?

chickenhead
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
She's fine for now, all the bloodwork came up negative -- so the doc said we just have to wait and see if she has any more seizures. None so far, let's hope it stays that way.

On the subject of racial humor, I watched a little documentary the other day where Samuel L Jackson spent some time with Bill Russell interviewing him, they were sitting in Russells kitchen and his wife brought them out a big plate of cantaloupe and other fruits and melons....Samuel L was chowing down and said "Man, this is great melon"......Russell replies "Yeah, I know you people like this kind of stuff" :D Samuel almost bust a gut.

toetoe
01-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Bobby,

That's depressing. Isn't that why we run the horse race called life? Aren't there instances in the "black" neighborhood that the white kid DOESN'T get beaten up by the black kids, DOESN'T speak "black" English, DOESN'T think being a rapper is a good lifestyle choice? Even handicapping is not so deterministic.

Bobby
01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I said MIGHT be eminem. I shouldn't have posted that but Ill let PA take it down.

But if playing basketball and eating a watermelon rocks the boat then . . .and Ray Nagin says his city is gonna be chocolate . . . then Whites just can't take up for themselves. That's a travesty.

political correctness has always killed me.

toetoe
01-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm afraid I blew it way out of proportion. :blush: I think I'm dreaming, anyway.

Bobby
01-18-2006, 03:28 PM
You didn't blow anything out of proportion. I woke up on wrong side of the bed :D sorry PA

GaryG
01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Bobby, from now on it will be referred to as "the w word". That should get it by the censors. This is a very pc board dontcha know...

GaryG
01-18-2006, 03:39 PM
And another thing, please note that 46zilzy gets away with referring to the president as a rutabaga. Some veggies are just more pc than others I guess...

chickenhead
01-18-2006, 03:39 PM
GaryG I think you lose your redneck credentials for not helping me in my shade tree mechanic thread. Are you a good 'ol boy or aint ya? ;)

I've only known one Tennessean, and you could literally not shut him up about his damn 5.0 Mustang.

GaryG
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
GaryG I think you lose your redneck credentials for not helping me in my shade tree mechanic thread. Are you a good 'ol boy or aint ya? ;)

I've only known one Tennessean, and you could literally not shut him up about his damn 5.0 Mustang.Actually I am a Harvard educated elitist snob....well maybe not exactly. I really don't have much to add except for the obvious. Now if it was a Monte Carlo....BTW Robert E Lee was born Jan 19, 1807. Some of us celebrate the holiday differently. Note the link from Mississippi.

http://www.sos.state.ms.us/pubs/Proclamations/King.asp

Bobby
01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Exactly some of us celebrate it differently . . . That's what makes this melting pot of ours SO UNIQUE.

Arkansas Holidays. Take note of 01/16/06 - Robert E Lee and MLK days observed

http://www.sosweb.state.ar.us/state_holiday_calendar.html

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Bobby, from now on it will be referred to as "the w word". That should get it by the censors. This is a very pc board dontcha know...

Baloney. If this were a VERY politically correct board, I'd ask you to change your avatar.

And please, I don't ask for much....so let me make my little statements, digest them as you see fit, and post onward...

Wiley
01-18-2006, 06:03 PM
I think a point missed in Nagin's comment is that it is more political than anything else - not that I don't think it is an idiotic thing to say but I think from Nagin's perspective he is trying to rally the old guard of the city to come back, which pre Katrina was something like 70% black and now according to a recent poll is at 40% with the Hispanic population pre at 4% and post at 20% - this group of the population came in to do the bulk of the rebuilding jobs apparently. Nagin is just trying to keep his job and the best way to do that is to return to the staus quo of a democratic black as the mayor of New Orleans - you shake up the demographics and Nagin and others of his party have to work harder to win elections.
I find it depressing that all of these politicos pick big days that should celebrate something else - like here MLK's birthday peace, unity and equality through nonviolent means to drum up partisonship. The same thing happened here in Detroit at Rosa Park's funeral which helped elect the status quo mayor Kilpatrick.

GaryG
01-18-2006, 06:26 PM
The same thing happened here in Detroit at Rosa Park's funeral which helped elect the status quo mayor Kilpatrick.They reelected that crook? :rolleyes: Regarding NOLA, another issue he has there is that these Hispanics came to work, taking jobs the exiled(?) residents apparently didn't want, and are not about to leave any time soon. That is going to change the character of the city and my guess there will be plenty more coming in from Texas and across the border. This is really a good thing, as the rebuilding might never happen otherwise. Those folks will make homes there, bring in their relatives and on and on. If the former residents stay out long enough NOLA could turn into a bayou San Antonio.

chickenhead
01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Robert E Lee was born Jan 19, 1807. Some of us celebrate the holiday differently. Note the link from Mississippi.

http://www.sos.state.ms.us/pubs/Proclamations/King.asp

See, now I know a lot of people who would hear that you guys celebrate Robert E Lee's birthday and think that's a bad thing....but how many of them know that REL was both anti-slavery and anti-sucession, but as a patriot to his state he did what he thought was right, protect his people. Interesting guy, it's hard to not have the utmost respect for him.

I also thought it interesting when I just learned recently that Arlington National Cemetary was placed where it is, because that was Robert E Lees front yard, a Union guy, Quatermaster or something, chose that site just after his son was killed so that Robert E Lee would never be able to return home, and so that the (union) dead could lay at the feet of the man who killed them. Heavy stuff.

Bobby
01-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Yes, protect his people.

GaryG
01-19-2006, 12:12 PM
A true American hero, not just to southerners. Regarding slavery, there were at least as many slaves in the north and this was a non-issue in the war. It was about states rights....period. I had better not mention my personal favorite, Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest. Nice statue of him overlooking I-65 just south of Nashville.

chickenhead
01-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Bedford Forest WAS an interesting guy, quite a terror. I only know the outlines, but he is one I pegged to find a book about just him.

I know what you're saying about states rights, but I think saying slavery was a non-issue is not quite right. From the northern perspective preserving the union was the key, but there was also of course a big group of "radicals" who were pushing against slavery..Harpers Ferry scared the southerners just a bit no? And the whole issue of slavery out west in Kansas etc. It was about states rights, but the right in question was slavery, and it's hard to imagine any other right that would have caused the people (on both sides) to go to such extremes.

Interesting note here to, just recently read the Lincoln Douglas debates, and some more Lincoln speeches....we are given a very narrow picture of him as being anti-slavery, pro-equality....and that is just not true, or at least he did not present himself that way. If he was around today he would be excoriated for talking out of both sides of his mouth (and maybe he was then) I have never read any politician who expressed so many different conflicting views about a subject. In reading the Lincoln Douglas debates I had no doubt that if I was around then, and thats all I had to go on, I would have voted for Douglas....Licoln came off as totally dishonest. Pretty interesting.

GaryG
01-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Lincoln wanted to preserve the union and he wanted to repair it after the war, leaving the south as much in tact as possible. Unfortunately for all of us, that didn't happen. Andrew Johnson was a fine and honorable man from down the road in Greeneville TN. He was run out of office on trumped up charges because the northern hard liners thought he, as a southerner, would be too soft on reconstruction. Well, you know what happened under Grant and Hayes. Carpet bag govts, newly freed slaves being given law enforcement positions, etc. Here are two interesting results: It created a new kind of outlaw, one that just would not have their nose rubbed in the dirt by the north. Witness John Wesley Hardin, Bill Longley and the infamous James and Younger gangs. While rebel soldiers were allowed to go home, guerillas like the James and Youngers were under sentence of death immediately. What would you do? The other is a hatred of the north, and make no mistake, it as real as it ever was and I am not kidding. This would never have happened under a more reasonable reconstruction plan. Where's my damn musket mama?

Bobby
01-19-2006, 12:58 PM
The other is a hatred of the north, and make no mistake, it as real as it ever was and I am not kidding.

I think your right. I mean, I remember growing up and learning about it in school like 5th or 6th grade. And it was like WE LOST. So you kinda grow up with that hate the north attitude.

chickenhead
01-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Out west we were taught heavy on what happened to the slaves after the war, light on what happened to the rebels after they went home i.e. reconstruction. I know that my mothers side fought for the confederacy, but they moved and ended up in the mountains of Northern California just after the war, if there was family left back in the south no one knows who they are.

Buckeye
01-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Lincoln wanted to preserve the Union above all else, and he said that.
Abolishing Slavery was desirable to him but not essential. He was morally against it, however, practically speaking, he was willing to live with it if the South would stay. Since the South was totally destroyed (which he did not want) slavery was abolished as a consequence thereof, AND the Union lived. Lincoln got what he wanted.