PDA

View Full Version : CAL stakes races

Bobby
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
I honestly don't even see how they actually grade some of them. Almost all of them or 4 to 6 horse fields. Pretty pathetic.

And I don't care if the BC JUV winner ran. He ran against nothing. 3 other horses. Why have a damn race?

xfile
01-17-2006, 04:04 AM
Which is another reason why the 2006 Ky Derby winner will NOT come from the West. He'll be from the East.....perhaps the Middle East ;) ...."Take my horse -- please!".....I mean Stevie Wonderblunder is over the top. Brother Derek needs to prove he can handle a speed challenge....well we will see....should be an interesting year.:cool:

rastajenk
01-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Same storyline every year, so it seems. But just because precocious speed-types get the headlines in January and February doesn't mean the also-rans can't come on in April and May. I don't like the short fields either, but it's way too soon to write off the whole bunch of them.

Cesario!
01-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Where's last year's Derby winner from? ;) Say what you want, he won the race.

And Declan's Moon was top before injury. East Coast Bias is crazy in this game. Everyone is shocked and coming up with excuses when shippers come in for graded stakes to NY and win (i.e. Borrego, Taste of Paradise on Gold Cup Day.)

SoCal racing rules. BTW, I live in NYC. :)

GMB@BP
01-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I honestly don't even see how they actually grade some of them. Almost all of them or 4 to 6 horse fields. Pretty pathetic.

And I don't care if the BC JUV winner ran. He ran against nothing. 3 other horses. Why have a damn race?

I agree, most horses that win, like Borrego for example, who frankly sucks, could never win back east!!!

Cesario!
01-17-2006, 08:48 AM
I agree, most horses that win, like Borrego for example, who frankly sucks, could never win back east!!!

I couldn't have asked for a better simultaneous post. :D

GMB@BP
01-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Where's last year's Derby winner from? ;) Say what you want, he won the race.

And Declan's Moon was top before injury. East Coast Bias is crazy in this game. Everyone is shocked and coming up with excuses when shippers come in for graded stakes to NY and win (i.e. Borrego, Taste of Paradise on Gold Cup Day.)

SoCal racing rules. BTW, I live in NYC. :)

It is what it is, top horses but short fields....I dont get all this "should be downgraded" crap when year in year out socal horses ship east and win at a very solid percentage.

I tell you what, all these 12 horse fields at gulfstream have been awsome, very entertaining watching pletcher horses draw off in every race that is not a claimer!!!

kenwoodallpromos
01-17-2006, 11:21 AM
The West is my crib!LOL!!
Xfile's 1st sentence- LOL! You mean KY Derby winner will not come from the West without being trashed thoroughly by the Easterners!
They just win in 20-horse fields after racing in Ca short fields!LOL!!

GaryG
01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
10 of the last 20 derby winners were California based. Woody Stephens lived to see most of them....must have really pissed him off!

toetoe
01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I love big fields, but short fields have been around forever. The bad news is that even the crappy claiming races have short fields. Some of it is too much racing, but I still say trainers should enter no-hopers for big purses, as 4th place can help the bottom line.

Easy on Stevie, fellows. When the time is right, he will improve by leaps and bounds with one simple equipment change --- BLINDERS OFF. :D

kenwoodallpromos
01-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree, but do some (Ca) tracks need to add an Also-Eligible list for stakes etc. in case the field is too short, for last-minute entries? Bet win or ITM at your own risk!

OTM Al
01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Stevie was the better horse of the 2 IMHO. He just was allowed to fall too far back during too short a race to be able to make up enough ground. I started saying it while he was drifting back in the backstretch that there was no way he was going to catch Derek in a 1 mile race. Lengthen it out I think he could have had enough ground to get on by him. He is not my top 3yo, that is Private Vow right now though I heard rumblings he was only getting 2 preps, in which case he gets a serious downgrade. But I do got to say that Stevie is one beautiful animal. Nice long legs that can really kick when he drops down for the drive. I expect results to reverse back next race. Just too bad Derek didn't stay at 5-2 as he reach for a moment. Would have dropped a lot on him then, but wasn't going to waste my money at 6-5, but then I think a whole lot of people must have thought the same and jumped for it.

classhandicapper
01-17-2006, 06:16 PM
I also think that Brother Derek got the best of the trip and Stevie will reverse the result next time out given a more honest race development. BD was loose on the lead without another quality speed to put any pressue on him. He picked it up nicely in the middle and made it very diffcult for SW - who had to work very hard to get into contention on the turn. Besides, with a race under his belt, SW may even be sharper next time out.

Cesario!
04-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Score another 2 for West coast invaders today at AQU. Hmmm...Gomez in graded stakes in NYC -- probably the best angle in the game right now.

kenwoodallpromos
04-09-2006, 03:13 AM
I am the first one to admit a bias For westies! Paretly to counter the others.
When the entrie are announced and post postions for the Derby we will see- a fav may be in the 19 hole!!