PDA

View Full Version : computer problems

cash2
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
any help appreciated

i just picked up a used computer from a relative. gateway 550 wxp pro select v2002 and it runs fine except when i'm trying to hook up on the internet. i use a dialup earthlink and when the computer gets to the earthlink home page the whole machine freezes up. all i can do is turn the machine off. i tried aol with the same result. we're going to go the cable route and maybe someday the verizon guy will actually show up.

i ran a virus scan and found ADW_RULEDOR.C and TROJ_UNONE.A. the scan couldn't remove them but placed them in a quarantine file. i also found TROJ_KEYHOST.E in the RECYCLER file and this was removed. i'm still crashing so is there anything else i can do before i seek pro help. i'm not that computer savvy so i don't think
i should be messing around in the registry.

thanks in advance cash

michiken
01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Disable system restore if it is on. Virii hide in the restore files.

Try booting your machine into safe mode. Press the F8 key as the computer starts up and choose Safe Mode.

This will start windoze without any drivers and do a virii scan twice.

Here is another thread with help to anti-viri and spyware (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24665)

If your tired of windoze, try linux see this thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24773)

JustRalph
01-16-2006, 03:09 PM
install firefox and see what it does...................

cash2
01-16-2006, 07:34 PM
thanks i'll try the safe mode and a double scan when i get home. per firefox, i want to use it but i need to get on the internet first to download it

JustRalph
01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
connect to the net

"start" "run" put the link from the attached pic on the run line
hit enter...............

but it is five megs...........if you are on dialup........it will be all day..........

here is the actual link http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5&os=win&lang=en-US

cash2
01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
michiken and ralph

thanks. i turned off system restore and went into the safe mode and did a double scan. i found another virus but i'm still having the same problem. i get connected okay but as the computer attempts to load the earthlink start page the whole thing will freeze within 5-10 seconds. sometimes i get a rundll message in applications bar at the bottom of the screen. i try to open the message before the crash but it usually gets obscured by ms error send don't send box. i believe it's associated with C:\WINDOWS\system32\agctres.dll. interestingly, when i view the log of the virus scan it reports that this same file was not scanned. the log also reports my attempts to start up as POP 3 unable to connect to port monitor.

tia for any ideas you may have

michiken
01-17-2006, 05:40 PM
One more trick left in the bag:

1. Boot up into safe mode.

2. Choose start and run and then type in sfc /scannow (make sure there is a blank space between sfc and the /scannow)

3. This will start windows system file checker. It will prompt you for the the original windows installation disk. Without it you are screwed....

4. Try this multiple times as I have seen it fail and then work all of a sudden.

If this does not work, you will have to do a complete windows re-install. ****Make sure that you have a firewall and antivirus installed before attempting to connect to the net. Once you start, go to the windows update site and get the SP2 service pack and all MS vulnerability updates.

More Information on SFC can be Found Here (http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html)

JustRalph
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Michiken is on target, but I would say that I would consider wiping this machine out.........just my opine...........how many more hours do you want to spend.....? You could have wiped it and started over..............a long time ago.

Of course that assumes that you have all the disks and software needed.

Never forget..........the most valuable thing you possess is your time.............

michiken
01-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Never forget..........the most valuable thing you possess is your time.............

As of friday with the upcoming cuts in the auto industry. I will have plenty of free time!

Think I can become the PA Computer Troubleshooter and charge per phone call?

1-800-MICHI-KEN

JustRalph
01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
As of friday with the upcoming cuts in the auto industry. I will have plenty of free time!

Think I can become the PA Computer Troubleshooter and charge per phone call?

1-800-MICHI-KEN

Sorry to hear that (the layoff part) Jump high and land on your feet! Good Luck...........

BIG RED
01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
michiken and ralph

thanks. i turned off system restore and went into the safe mode and did a double scan. i found another virus but i'm still having the same problem. i get connected okay but as the computer attempts to load the earthlink start page the whole thing will freeze within 5-10 seconds. sometimes i get a rundll message in applications bar at the bottom of the screen. i try to open the message before the crash but it usually gets obscured by ms error send don't send box. i believe it's associated with C:\WINDOWS\system32\agctres.dll. interestingly, when i view the log of the virus scan it reports that this same file was not scanned. the log also reports my attempts to start up as POP 3 unable to connect to port monitor.

tia for any ideas you may have

cash, I just saw on earthlink homepage about a warning of a bad virus called WIN/32. Maybe u should check their page, since you are w/them?

Tom
01-17-2006, 11:39 PM

Ken, what is happening Friday?

cash2
01-18-2006, 03:32 PM
ralph and michiken. thanks. of course i don't have the window original cd. my cousin gave me a copy that doesn't work. hope he has the original. anyway i'm going to fold my hand on this one.

good luck after friday michiken!

cash