PDA

View Full Version : Pitt - what's up mom

Bobby
01-15-2006, 01:40 PM
14-0

SAL
01-15-2006, 02:07 PM
The Colts don't look sharp at all. Maybe resting all the starters in the last few games wasn't such a good idea.......

For me it's 24-0 :)

cj
01-15-2006, 02:18 PM
The officiating was horrible last night in the Denver game, but the best team still won in my opinion. Today's non interference call on Randle El was even worse than last night though. The officiating on pass plays in the NFL is just a joke anymore.

SAL
01-15-2006, 02:34 PM
The non-call on today's game was much worse than the one last night IMO. And Denver made fewer mistakes last night, so I can't make excuses for the Pats. The Bailey INT was the backbreaker. But Brady should not have thrown that one, so his playoff experience didn't come through on that play.

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 02:58 PM
never actually noticed until today that Roethlisberger is a lot to put on back of a jersey!!

Manning looks uneasy

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 03:04 PM
now Why wasn't that a safety???

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 03:12 PM
How in the world does one stop Jerome Bettis other than with a truck and an earth mover????

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 03:49 PM
turn out the lights, the party's over until next year

SAL
01-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow the zebras blow it again. If the Colts end up winning this it will be thanks to some more poor officiating.

Bobby
01-15-2006, 03:59 PM
That's one of the worst calls I've seen in A LONG TIME-- the overruled interception thrown by Manning. Quite clear to me.

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 04:01 PM
agreed that's why I thought the game was over!

cj
01-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, now they can't even get instant replays right. Do they just send anyone, or is it a merit system for NFL refs? These guys this weekend are beyond awful.

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 04:14 PM
well you get your money's worth in this one

Bobby
01-15-2006, 04:14 PM
jesus christ, can you believe this. Bus fumbles on 1 yd line!

cj
01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Dumbest coaching call in the history of the NFL...kneel the F!@# down!

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 04:19 PM
well it all worked out as it should or is it OVER YET??

cj
01-15-2006, 04:24 PM
That was too much to take. Being from Baltimore, I'm an "Anybody but the Colts" guy!

The Curse of the Mayflower continues!!!

Since the Colts left, Baltimore has 1 CFL title, 1 USFL title, and a Super Bowl. Indy has NOTHING! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

NoDayJob
01-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Stick a fork in it. It's done. They'll come back.

BillW
01-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Dumbest coaching call in the history of the NFL...kneel the F!@# down!

That was Bettis' 2nd fumble in the last 2 years - not that bad of a call with 3 timeouts left.

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 04:31 PM
That was too much to take. Being from Baltimore, I'm an "Anybody but the Colts" guy!

The Curse of the Mayflower continues!!!

Since the Colts left, Baltimore has 1 CFL title, 1 USFL title, and a Super Bowl.

wasn't it, for a LONG TIME, the Colts Marching Band who played at the Preakness??

cj
01-15-2006, 04:35 PM
That was Bettis' 2nd fumble in the last 2 years - not that bad of a call with 3 timeouts left.

You kneel down, they call timeout, you kneel down, they call timout, you kneel down, they call timeout. Then you try to run it in.

Scoring on the first play still gives you the oppurtunity to lose. Even had he scored, that was a worse strategy than what I say above. They can score and onside kick, which I have seen once or twice. He didn't think it through, which he should have. Terrible call, though maybe not the worse ever.

Valuist
01-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Like Neil Young said, "Rust Never Sleeps". Teams that don't play hard for the final month can't always turn it on when they want. I didn't bet Pitt but the rust angle kept me from betting the Colts. I do have a 8-1 future bet made before the playoffs on Denver winning the Super Bowl. I like their chances a whole lot now.

cj
01-15-2006, 04:38 PM
wasn't it, for a LONG TIME, the Colts Marching Band who played at the Preakness??

I think so, but there are better things to watch on Preakness Day :)

banacek
01-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Terrible call, though maybe not the worse ever.

The whole point of instant replay is so things like this don't happen - especially when they actually overruled the call - that needs extraordinary proof.

As far as worst call my vote would be the "Joe Pisarcik" play in the 70s I think - but he didn't actaully make the call I imagine.

And who scored the winning touchdown that day? (Herm Edwards!)

46zilzal
01-15-2006, 05:07 PM
T
As far as worst call my vote would be the "Joe Pisarcik" play in the 70s I think - but he didn't actaully make the call I imagine.

A

That was that ill-fated handoff when they had the game won and then fumbled?? vs. Philly wasn't it?

banacek
01-15-2006, 05:10 PM
That was that ill-fated handoff when they had the game won and then fumbled?? vs. Philly wasn't it?

Yes, Giants and Philly.

banacek
01-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Found a link about it. It says that the offensive coordinator who made the call was fired the next day and never worked in football again.

http://www.nfl.com/ce/feature/0,3783,4519571,00.html

BillW
01-15-2006, 05:21 PM
You kneel down, they call timeout, you kneel down, they call timout, you kneel down, they call timeout. Then you try to run it in.

Scoring on the first play still gives you the oppurtunity to lose. Even had he scored, that was a worse strategy than what I say above. They can score and onside kick, which I have seen once or twice. He didn't think it through, which he should have. Terrible call, though maybe not the worse ever.

Problem is that you would be forced to take the FG on 4th. It would be really bad giving the ball back with that short of a field. I still like keeping up the killer instinct and like I said A Bettis fumble is rarer than them screwing up taking a knee.

BTW Local Pittsburgh sportscaster suggested giving the game ball to Danielle Harper for slowing her husband down a half step with a steak knife. :lol:

toetoe
01-15-2006, 05:34 PM
A quick blow-by-blow of a typical segment of an NFL game:

"Okay, the punt is away. Oops, there's a penalty. No, wait. TWO penalties. We also have two injured players. We'll be right back." <Commercial break> "We're back. Oh, there's a long pass, TOUCHDOWN!. Here's the extra point. Oops, penalty. We'll be back" <Break> "We're back, and the extra point is good. We'll be back." <Break> "Here's the kickoff, returned to the 30-yard line. Penalty, no ... TWO penalties. Injured player, no ... TWO injured players. Boy, you could cut the tension with a knife." <Break> "We're back with an actual play from scrimmage. Oh, that pass is intercepted. Wow, that's exciting! Oh, now we have a challenge by the coach. We'll be back." <Break> "We're back. There's a long gainer. Not much time left, so they'll kick a field goal, I think. Timeout while they decide. We'll be back." <Break> "We're back and they'll try a field goal. Timeout by the other team, just to "ice" the kicker. Boy, that's not only exciting as all get-out, it's brilliant strategy. We'll be back" <break> "We're back, and here's the kick. There's a flag. Illegal procedure. We'll be back." <Break> "We're back. Here's the kick. Hold it, flags everywhere. Looks like defensive offside. Half the distance to the goal, and we'll be right back." <Break> "Okay, here's your ballgame. Sixty minutes of unbearable excitement and tension come down to this. He missed it! Boy, is there anything as exciting as a missed field goal? Maybe a double fault at match point at Wimbledon? A car that can't get out of the pits at Indianapolis? We'll be back ... "

BillW
01-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Craig,

I should point out that I disagree with you only because I don't see the timeouts as being as critical to Manning as conventional wisdom would hold. If it were any other QB in the league - I take away the TO's too and trust my defense. I just don't think they were as important to Manning as having the ball in his hands and being within a touchdown of a win.

Another call that I don't think was mentioned was when Faneca moved. They called no foul (they didn't see Faneca move and said the Defense didn't make contact). While not being a critical call, it surely was a joke. They call a play dead, stand around shrugging their sholders and call nothing?

The NFL doesn't publish any action with their officials to maintain the aura of infallibility. The officials just seem to disappear into the sunset. Just in case we remember to check it next year here is the officiating lineup:

Referee: Peter Morelli (135)
Line Judge: Jerome Boger (109)
Field Judge: Jim Saracino (58) Umpire: Garth DeFelice (53)
Side Judge: Jeff Lamberth (103)
Replay Official: Al Hynes () Head Linesman: George Hayward (54)
Back Judge: Don Dorkowski (113)
Video Operator: Lou Nazzaro ()

Morelli made the call on the Polamalu interception. It'll be interesting to see what his status is next year.

Bill

cj
01-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Another call that I don't think was mentioned was when Faneca moved. They called no foul (they didn't see Faneca move and said the Defense didn't make contact). While not being a critical call, it surely was a joke. They call a play dead, stand around shrugging their sholders and call nothing?

That was just comical, it was like watching Abbot and Costello. Truly sorry officiating in this game and the New England game. This "football move" crap needs a serious review. I still think the Tampa guy caught the ball against Washington, and the non-interception today was horrible. He rolled over like 27 times with the ball. It is just one of those stupid rules they made up, like the tuck rule, to cover a dumbass call in the future. With all the money the NFL makes, I can't believe they won't hire full time officials.

Bobby
01-15-2006, 10:30 PM
That interception call . . . eventhough it didn't effect the outcome - that has to be the worst call all year. He rolled around about 10 times after CATCHING the ball. No bobbling or anything. And the refs somehow say no intercept. Like boomer said, if the colts had won . . .highway robbery.

toetoe
01-15-2006, 10:49 PM
On the chance that the ball hit the ground as he was gathering it, I would understand a call of "incomplete." However, after going through the glacial-speed process of myopic review, where did they fetch that excuse? Long-distance call to Ingrid Fermin and her crew? :D

Bobby
01-15-2006, 10:50 PM
:D :D :D :D

Yea that crew BLIND.

BillW
01-16-2006, 12:10 AM
On the chance that the ball hit the ground as he was gathering it, I would understand a call of "incomplete." However, after going through the glacial-speed process of myopic review, where did they fetch that excuse? Long-distance call to Ingrid Fermin and her crew? :D

I wonder what they would have done if Palomalu would have just laid still and not got up? Penalized him for not completing the play? :eek:

cj
01-16-2006, 02:33 AM
I was amazed to see the entire crew missed a delay of game on the Bears at a critical time. How does the whole crew miss it? It wasn't even close.

Stillriledup
01-13-2016, 04:57 PM
It's been TEN years since the gods smiled on Jerome Bettis. People forget how his legacy was saved by a shoestring.

ldiatone
01-13-2016, 10:08 PM
It's been TEN years since the gods smiled on Jerome Bettis. People forget how his legacy was saved by a shoestring.
and by Big Ben!

NorCalGreg
01-13-2016, 11:00 PM

How do you find these old threads, SRU? Did you just type in "CJ's Meltdown" hahahaha...only a true fan would get that worked up over the "Mayflower Curse" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: loved it

Valuist
01-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Wow. A 46Zilzal thread was resurrected. A few other names that haven't been seen in quite some time.

Stillriledup
01-14-2016, 01:24 AM
How do you find these old threads, SRU? Did you just type in "CJ's Meltdown" hahahaha...only a true fan would get that worked up over the "Mayflower Curse" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: loved it

Once in awhile I just ask myself 'what happened in sports 10, 20 or 30 years ago today. I googled 2005-2006 NFL playoffs and remembered the Bettis debacle and then came here to see if Bettis fumble was discussed.

ultracapper
01-14-2016, 03:34 AM
Fred Jackson did not commit offensive pass interference a couple weeks later.

Total Bettis love affair for the NFL that year.