PDA

View Full Version : If Ya Flame Me, Watch Out--- I'm Gonna Getcha---

NoDayJob
01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Create an e-annoyance, go to jail

January 9, 2006, 4:00 AM PT

By Declan McCullagh

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other news:

Government Web sites are keeping an eye on you
Patriot Act defender touts 'safeguards'
In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."

It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called "Preventing Cyberstalking." It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."

To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

The tactic worked. The bill cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote, and the Senate unanimously approved it Dec. 16.

There's an interesting side note. An earlier version that the House approved in September had radically different wording. It was reasonable by comparison, and criminalized only using an "interactive computer service" to cause someone "substantial emotional harm."

That kind of prohibition might make sense. But why should merely annoying someone be illegal?

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to set up a Web site or write something incendiary without telling everyone exactly who you are.

A law meant to annoy?

FAQ: The new 'annoy' law explained

A practical guide to the new federal law that aims to outlaw certain types of annoying Web sites and e-mail.Think about it: A woman fired by a manager who demanded sexual favors wants to blog about it without divulging her full name. An aspiring pundit hopes to set up the next Suck.com. A frustrated citizen wants to send e-mail describing corruption in local government without worrying about reprisals.

In each of those three cases, someone's probably going to be annoyed. That's enough to make the action a crime. (The Justice Department won't file charges in every case, of course, but trusting prosecutorial discretion is hardly reassuring.)

Clinton Fein, a San Francisco resident who runs the Annoy.com site, says a feature permitting visitors to send obnoxious and profane postcards through e-mail could be imperiled.

"Who decides what's annoying? That's the ultimate question," Fein said. He added: "If you send an annoying message via the United States Post Office, do you have to reveal your identity?"

Fein once sued to overturn part of the Communications Decency Act that outlawed transmitting indecent material "with intent to annoy." But the courts ruled the law applied only to obscene material, so Annoy.com didn't have to worry.

"I'm certainly not going to close the site down," Fein said on Friday. "I would fight it on First Amendment grounds."

He's right. Our esteemed politicians can't seem to grasp this simple point, but the First Amendment protects our right to write something that annoys someone else.

It even shields our right to do it anonymously. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas defended this principle magnificently in a 1995 case involving an Ohio woman who was punished for distributing anonymous political pamphlets.

If President Bush truly believed in the principle of limited government (it is in his official bio), he'd realize that the law he signed cannot be squared with the Constitution he swore to uphold.

And then he'd repeat what President Clinton did a decade ago when he felt compelled to sign a massive telecommunications law. Clinton realized that the section of the law punishing abortion-related material on the Internet was unconstitutional, and he directed the Justice Department not to enforce it.

Bush has the chance to show his respect for what he calls Americans' personal freedoms. Now we'll see if the president rises to the occasion.

biography

Declan McCullagh is CNET News.com's Washington, D.C., correspondent. He chronicles the busy intersection between technology and politics. Before that, he worked for several years as Washington bureau chief for Wired News. He has also worked as a reporter for The Netly News, Time magazine and HotWired.

:D

P.S. Thanks Jackasses In Congress, President Bush And Arlen Specter, We Really Needed That! BTW My Real Name Is NoDayJob! I've Had It Changed Legally.

:D

twindouble
01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
There's a very simple solution to this freaking nonsense. Send 50 million annoying e-mails to Congress and the White house, then foot note, see you in court you morons.

T.D

kenwoodallpromos
01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Post the bill # please.

Tom
01-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I find spam extremely annoying. What are the federal morons doing about that? Oh, right, NOTHING! Friggin' over-paid civil service brain dead roaches.

Find that annoying, you little POS eavesdroppers? I say you couldn't find your butts with both hands.

Tom Brown

Tag. You're it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
01-13-2006, 01:59 PM
There's a very simple solution to this freaking nonsense. Send 50 million annoying e-mails to Congress and the White house, then foot note, see you in court you morons.

T.D

Good idea - just sign your name and you are in the clear.
I have already started sending them......:kiss: MA, Bush.

rastajenk
01-13-2006, 02:39 PM
This issue has made plenty of rounds earlier in the week. A more reasonable interpretation (than that it's a massive new agenda to monitor the entire internet) is that it extends existing telephone harassment issues to Voice Over Internet Protocols; in other words, it just updates previous definitions to include new technologies. The article is certainly incendiary, with verbage like "If President Bush truly believed in the principle of limited government (it is in his official bio), he'd realize that the law he signed cannot be squared with the Constitution he swore to uphold," but it's not the Big Brother Bugaboo it's made out to be. Even righty-types have got their feathers ruffled, but it's more than anything just another mythic example of How Bush & Co. Are Trampling On Our Civil Liberties, which it isn't. Unless you think it's your civil liberty to stalk and harass women.

twindouble
01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
This issue has made plenty of rounds earlier in the week. A more reasonable interpretation (than that it's a massive new agenda to monitor the entire internet) is that it extends existing telephone harassment issues to Voice Over Internet Protocols; in other words, it just updates previous definitions to include new technologies. The article is certainly incendiary, with verbage like "If President Bush truly believed in the principle of limited government (it is in his official bio), he'd realize that the law he signed cannot be squared with the Constitution he swore to uphold," but it's not the Big Brother Bugaboo it's made out to be. Even righty-types have got their feathers ruffled, but it's more than anything just another mythic example of How Bush & Co. Are Trampling On Our Civil Liberties, which it isn't. Unless you think it's your civil liberty to stalk and harass women.

I can see where others will use this like they do with anything else Bush does. It has nothing to do with fighting the war on terrorism. Personally, I don't give a dam what they do as long as they stamp out those scumb bag throw backs. I'm patently waiting for us or Israel to drop a few J-dam's on Iran's dream of having the bomb.

T.D.

NoDayJob
01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Post the bill # please.

I believe this is what you requested. :mad: "An ammendment to the attorneys full employment act." :mad:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.3402:

kenwoodallpromos
01-13-2006, 07:30 PM
"Whoever has the intent- (B) to place a person in another State or tribal jurisdiction, or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, in reasonable fear of the death of, or serious bodily injury to--

`(i) that person;

`(ii) a member of the immediate family (as defined in section 115 of that person; or

`(iii) a spouse or intimate partner of that person;

uses the mail, any interactive computer service, or any facility of interstate or foreign commerce to engage in a course of conduct that causes substantial emotional distress to that person or places that person in reasonable fear of the death of, or serious bodily injury to, any of the persons described in clauses (i) through (iii) of subparagraph (B);

shall be punished as provided in section 2261(b) of this title.'."

twindouble
01-13-2006, 08:40 PM
"Whoever has the intent- (B) to place a person in another State or tribal jurisdiction, or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, in reasonable fear of the death of, or serious bodily injury to--

`(i) that person;

`(ii) a member of the immediate family (as defined in section 115 of that person; or

`(iii) a spouse or intimate partner of that person;

uses the mail, any interactive computer service, or any facility of interstate or foreign commerce to engage in a course of conduct that causes substantial emotional distress to that person or places that person in reasonable fear of the death of, or serious bodily injury to, any of the persons described in clauses (i) through (iii) of subparagraph (B);

shall be punished as provided in section 2261(b) of this title.'."

If this is what it's all about, that's a far cry from just being annoying, wouldn't you say? I can except that, no problem if it's the truth.

NoDayJob
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Thank you Nodayjob! 1 question before I post more- Do you live in California?

Yup! :bang: :lol: There's already a lawsuit filed in Ohio by someone who feels violated. So watch your "P's 'N Q's with me. My attorney is mad and she's not about to take it any more. :lol:

rastajenk
01-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Here's the chatroom suit (http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0112/chatroom_suit_ctv.html)

But it's a civil suit, not a criminal charge.

twindouble
01-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Here's the chatroom suit (http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0112/chatroom_suit_ctv.html)

But it's a civil suit, not a criminal charge.

What would be wrong with setting up a chat site or blog where you can say anything you want with the exceptions like threats of bodily harm. In other words you relinquish all rights to sue, just by signing up as a member. A disclaimer like that should work, then the Bush bashers will have a their dream home. Another requirment would be an IQ of at least 80, that would do away with most left wing libs. :jump:

What the heck, Howard Stern has found his vehicle to spew his crap for $$ millions.

T.D

kenwoodallpromos
01-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Don't mess with me either!LOL!