PDA

View Full Version : Will Alito get confirmed?

twindouble
01-12-2006, 11:39 AM
No question in my mind he will be. When it comes to conservatism this is an historic event. ESP when it comes to abortion, executive power and rights to privacy.

I might add, it's going to be a very interesting battle but the danger of it all will be Americans taking their eyes of the ball when it comes to terrorism. Law enforcement will be in the streets protecting Americans from on another. :eek:

T.D.

Bobby
01-12-2006, 11:46 AM
welcome to 1984

JustRalph
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
welcome to 1984

Shhhh......... don't tell anybody............ we are one confirmation vote away from taking over...............

twindouble
01-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Shhhh......... don't tell anybody............ we are one confirmation vote away from taking over...............

Sorry I mentioned it, should have known better.

lsbets
01-12-2006, 01:05 PM

I'd like one more to have a cushion. But yes, Alito gets confirmed.

Tom
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
welcome to 1984

Bobby,
We'll need your last name and address for our records! ;) :eek:

Suff
01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
As a gambling man.........I'd bet he gets confirmed. Although some interesting developments have occured in the last 4 hours.

It appears the Republicans might have just lost 5 Senators if it goes to an up or down vote. Specter, Stevens and Warner figure party line vote.

Republicans for Choice just put a breaking news flash on thier WWW site that they are withdrawing thier Support for Alito, and putting it under Review.

Thats 5.

Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island (http://chafee.senate.gov/webform.htm)
Senator Susan Collins of Maine (http://collins.senate.gov/high/contactemail.htm)
Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska (http://murkowski.senate.gov/contact.html#form)
Senator Gordon Smith of Oregon** (http://gsmith.senate.gov/webform.htm)
Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine (http://snowe.senate.gov/Webform.htm)
Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania (http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactInfo.Home)
Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska** (http://stevens.senate.gov/contact_form.cfm)
Senator John Warner of Virginia** (http://warner.senate.gov/contact/contactme.cfm)

http://www.republicansforchoice.com/
BREAKING NEWS

Washington,D.C.

Republicans for Choice PAC, the nation's largest pro-choice GOP political action committee, is officially withholding final judgement at this time regarding the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito as the replacement for retiring Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

also
The Moderate Senator from Conneticutt, Joe Lieberman was just quoted as saying a Filibuster is on the Table. When a Moderate like JL says a FILLY is possible........the left of center stand up and take notice.

Tom
01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Funny how the people judging Alito's qualifications are hestatiating because he might be opposed to lilling babies! Especially Big Head-Ted questioning anyone!

BYW, Teddy's dog is named "Splash!" :eek:
Is this really the best name for his dog?!?!?

What did Abramoff name his dog.....Bribe?:D (Jay Leno last night)

chickenhead
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
If anyone is interested in this "Unitary Executive" point of view that they've talked about, there is a good paper located here:

http://www.users.muohio.edu/kelleycs/paper.pdf#search='unitary%20executive'

It is understandable why the Congress has such problem with it, it is a "flexing of muscles" by the Executive office, to the deteriment of congressional power.

JustRalph
01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
congressional power.

The two scariest words ever placed next to each other in a sentence.............

Secretariat
01-12-2006, 08:54 PM
The two scariest words ever placed next to each other in a sentence.............

George Bush

I think Alito will be confirmed in lieu of a filbuster. But i dont't think it does anything to help Repubs, and will actually hurt them long term on privacy issues. Repubs are alerady carrying the anti-abortion vote. When it's no longer an issue motivating that bloc will diminsh. Not a real big issue with me.

hcap
01-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Attention all youse Winston Smiths out there
1984 has arrived. The rat mask is being dusted off.
Ministry of Information news..

Gotta register

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-donohue12jan12,1,3860067.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

"The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency runs a data-mining program called Evidence Extraction and Link Discovery, which connects pieces of information from vast amounts of data sources. The Defense Intelligence Agency trawls intelligence records and the Internet to identify Americans connected to foreign terrorists. The CIA reportedly runs Quantum Leap, which gathers personal information on individuals from private and public sources. In 2002, Congress authorized $500 million for the Homeland Security Department to develop "data mining and other advanced analytical tools." In 2004, the General Accounting Office surveyed 128 federal departments and agencies to determine the extent of data mining. It found 199 operations, 14 of which related to counterterrorism.

What type of information could these mine? Your tax, education, vehicle, criminal and welfare records for starters. But also other digital data, such as your travel, medical and insurance records — and DNA tests. Section 505 of the Patriot Act (innocuously titled "Miscellaneous National Security Authorities") extends the type of information the government can obtain without a warrant to include credit card records, bank account numbers and information on Internet use."

hcap
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Move on citizens, nothing to see here.

Time to line up peacefully.

Then back to sleep.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1696/694/400/Sheep.jpg

hcap
01-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Lefty on the left, tom in the middle, Ralph and a BUNCH of others on the Right. :lol: :lol:

All being watched by this man...

http://www.bartcop.com/busheye100.gif

Tom
01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
You don't get it Sec.....this is not about helping republicans, it is about helping Americans. This is not a political deal - it is the natural function of our country - the dems are making it the political football it has become, specifically, the pro-baby murderers - their one goal is being put in front of all others. These are the people whoe are hurting America. We need judges who knwo thier roles and DO NOT legislate from the bench. There are no checks and balances for Kangaroo Kourt legislation. We need a justice who will interpret the constitution and laws passed by congress, not pass his own.\

Alito's person beliefs do no enter into this, if he is a ture impartial judge. I could care less if he performs abortions in his garage on weekends so long as he is impartial when he hears abortion cases. Believe it or not, people can actually seperate themselves from thier person beliefs when it comes to thier jobs. I would have no issue with a qualifed liberal candidate, if one could ever be found! (:lol: :lol: :lol: )

boxcar
01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I would have no issue with a qualifed liberal candidate, if one could ever be found! (:lol: :lol: :lol: )

I would add: "qualified, principled candidate". Principled and disciplined people can indeed separate their personal views from the facts of a case and the law.

Boxcar

Lefty
01-13-2006, 11:57 AM
After the left gets through insulting him and making longwinded speeches, he will be confirmed.

Tom
01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
After the left gets through insulting him and making longwinded speeches, he will be confirmed.

IF the left gets through. Did you catch the Daily Show last night?
the yacking contest without a question? Hilarious, yet so true.
The senate has about as much integrity as the Improv. And lots more liquor!:D

Bobby
01-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Kerry calls for a FILLIBUSTER per CNN.

lsbets
01-26-2006, 04:22 PM

I had a feeling someone would - the word came up way too often on the floor the last couple of days.

Tom
01-26-2006, 04:24 PM

He called for everyone to vote for him in 2004, too! :D
Actually, I hope he does succeed - it is high time for the "nuclear response" to this childish crap. Time to kick lib butts down Pennsylvania Avenue.

lsbets
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think they would be able to sustain it. They have picked up 3 Dems supporting him - Byrd shocked me - and there are several who have yet to declare how they are voting who come from reddish (maybe purple is a better word) states. Even if they do not get to 60 yes votes for Alito, it seems very unlikely that they won't get 60 votes for cloture. If they can't get the votes, make them do a real filibuster - keep Kerry talking on TV for over 24 hours like Strom Thurmond did. Could you imagine 24 hours of non stop Kerry? That would be the greatest Republican fundraiser of all time!

Secretariat
01-26-2006, 04:52 PM
He will be confirmed.

The two significant results will be:

a. Overturning of Rove v. Wade and it will go back to states deciding abortion issues. They'll still be just as many abortions but it will be more diff icult for poor people to get them as its more expensive to travel across the state lines.

b. The Executive power will become even much stronger than than legislative. Although with the abuse of the Executive Order (both parties) that has already occurred for a number of years.

c. Pro-business interests will take precednce in court decisions to individual interests.

I see Alito as qualified, but I also see him as incredibly biased. A good judge to me is one who can remain neutral like a Souter.

People like Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, Ginsberg and Alito are poor judges in my opinion because you don't even need to hear the cases to know how they're going to vote. It's a branch of a party rather than the purpose of the Supreme Court which is to maintain a neutral position politcally and judge based on constitutionality.

But he will be confirmed.

toetoe
01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Have Biden and Kerry ever opened their mouths without filibustering?

Phil Le Bustre, Gerry Mander, WHO wants it more?

Bobby
01-26-2006, 05:58 PM
It's the courageous thing to do. It's civil liberties only chance to prevail.
Will it work? Virtually no chance and it might backfire against the dems but again its the right thing to do

Lefty
01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
sec, Alito biased? And the libs aren't. The diff between Repubs and Dems is the Repubs confirmed Clinton's choice bigtime, even though they didn't agree with their philosophy. They did it because Clinton won the election. If onlt the Dems had as much class.
Toe v Wade back to the states? Well, aren't you libs always blathering about States rights?

Lefty
01-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, sec, that's what we need, another idiot like Souter who votes against private property rights.

Secretariat
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Lefty,

I mentioned Souter. Appointed by a Republican, but even handed in his decisions. I think the Repubs should have challenged Ginsberg. She's a partisan judge, and the fact that the Repubs didn't challenge her is no reason for the Democrats to stupidly acqueisce and confirm Alito.

See the argument, the Repubs didn't challenge Ginsberg so the Dems shouldn't challenge Alito is a ridiculous argument. I challenge Ginsberg AND Alito AND Roberts. I want more judges like Souter or Kennedy who we don't know what the outcome is going to be because they actually listen to the arguments. Unlike, Scalia, Roberts, and Thomas who phone it in. With those guys there's no need to even listen to oral arguments becasue the RNC has basically told them how to vote.

Lefty
01-26-2006, 08:30 PM
yeah, yeah, sec. Repubs have class Dems don't, pigsimple.
Souter cannot be pointed out as even handed when he voted against property right. And yes, I know Bush's father nominated the guy; so friggin what?
The dems scared to death they might lose the right to suck babies out of the womb and dn the drain. What a party.

Secretariat
01-26-2006, 10:59 PM
yeah, yeah, sec. Repubs have class Dems don't, pigsimple.
Souter cannot be pointed out as even handed when he voted against property right. And yes, I know Bush's father nominated the guy; so friggin what?
The dems scared to death they might lose the right to suck babies out of the womb and dn the drain. What a party.

You don't get it Lefty. Even if Roe v Wade is overturned abortion will continue. States will decide as it was previously. Frankly, it isn't even an important issue to me.

The executive power issue is because, like Jefferson, I'm not fond of Kings, and I see our country becoming more and more a corpocracy rather than a country of individual rights. I don't agree with Souter's decision on the property rights, but agree with many other ones he makes. Whereas with Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts they are partisan, and not neutral. They are appointees of the RNC as Ginsberg is by the DNC. I just don't think that makes for a good judiciary.

For example, Lefty, every time a case is posted here that will be heard by the Supreme Court coming up you'll know how the vote will occur before any oral argument. That's not good.

Lefty
01-26-2006, 11:25 PM
The conservatives will follow the constitution; whereas the left loves to make law, not interpret it.
Roe V Wade consumes the liberals and is their no. 1 litmus test.
My guess is, it won't be overturned, but your party fears it.
We have no king, and there will be an election in 2008 for a new Pres.
Btw, wasn't it Clinton who wanted to change the Constitution to run a 3rd time? Now there's your wannabe King. And now he hopes to be King through Hillary.

twindouble
01-26-2006, 11:47 PM
]You don't get it Lefty. Even if Roe v Wade is overturned abortion will continue. States will decide as it was previously. Frankly, it isn't even an important issue to me. [/b]

The executive power issue is because, like Jefferson, I'm not fond of Kings, and I see our country becoming more and more a corpocracy rather than a country of individual rights. I don't agree with Souter's decision on the property rights, but agree with many other ones he makes. Whereas with Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts they are partisan, and not neutral. They are appointees of the RNC as Ginsberg is by the DNC. I just don't think that makes for a good judiciary.

For example, Lefty, every time a case is posted here that will be heard by the Supreme Court coming up you'll know how the vote will occur before any oral argument. That's not good.

Sec; If killing babies isn't an important issue, what is important to you, besides playing the horses? It won't be long Roe v Wade will like you said be over turned and it will be clearly unconstitutional. The states will have no choice but to abide by that decision. I don't think it's wishfull thinking on my part, Alito and Roberts point in that direction, even if it takes one more, I'm not worried because the Republicans will still be in charge.

T.D.