PDA

View Full Version : TVG in Oklahoma

cj
07-06-2002, 10:48 AM
Anyone know why TVG stopped taking wagers from Oklahoma residents?

CJ

BillW
07-06-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Anyone know why TVG stopped taking wagers from Oklahoma residents?

CJ

Did Stronach buy it? (Olkla. that is):D

ceejay
07-06-2002, 12:17 PM
CJ

Don't know, but I received an odd call from xpressbet telling me that my account has been closed effective friday due to an attorney general ruling. The call was so odd because I never had an account open with them.

I can still wager at youbet and brisbet, though.

Regards,
another CJ

Tom
07-06-2002, 12:28 PM
I see TVG is available on some dish adverstisement. Is this available in NY State?

takeout
07-06-2002, 12:50 PM
TVG stock (GMST) is awfully low. Are they on the way out?

sq764
07-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Its a shame that TVG is really the only alternative to RTN, and a weak one at that.. I think TVG needs to 'shit or get off the pot'.. Either expand to 2 or 3 channels and expand their weak coverage of tracks, or close up shop..

rrbauer
07-07-2002, 08:08 PM
This all sounds like the same thing that happened in Texas with the AG taking a hard line against all out of state telephone account providers. I think that it's a general thing not something directed at one outfit.

BillW
07-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by rrbauer
This all sounds like the same thing that happened in Texas with the AG taking a hard line against all out of state telephone account providers. I think that it's a general thing not something directed at one outfit.

Do you think this had anything to do with Magna buying into LS. The timing was very suspicious.

ceejay
07-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by BillW

Do you think this had anything to do with Magna buying into LS. The timing was very suspicious.

I don't know because considering Magna's ownership in RP and the fact that magna accounts (xpresbet) were some of the ones shut down I'm not sure that there is a connection. But, it is an election year....

BillW
07-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Well they could be taking one step backward to take 2 steps forward.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid also ... it seems that every time Magna buys something, someone is telling me that my money is no longer wanted at another track. Bris cut me off at LS the same week the sale was made public. They didn't say anything about HOU and RET, although I haven't tried to place a wager at either place since.

Bill

rrbauer
07-08-2002, 09:37 AM
I think that Magna shut down in Texas to deflect any criticism (and law violations) that might interfere with their plans to acquire Lone Star.

Moebius
07-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Well, looks like we can't use youbet either!
Anybody else from Oklahoma get this when trying to log in from Ok?

How about Brisbet?

-Moebius

ranchwest
07-08-2002, 03:17 PM
I believe that this is unconstitutional because it is state regulation of interstate commerce, but I don't anticipate a court case on it, so things are the way they are.

ceejay
07-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Moebius
Well, looks like we can't use youbet either!
Anybody else from Oklahoma get this when trying to log in from Ok?

How about Brisbet?

-Moebius

I can't seem to bet at YOUBET either. BRISBET seems to work, for today at least.

To the Texan's out there, didn't BRISBET ignore the "changes" that were made there a couple of months ago?

cj
07-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Any word on Philly Phonebet?

CJ

Moebius
07-08-2002, 05:08 PM
This SUCKS!!!

I have used Youbet for years now and I'm qute happy with them.

I'm seriously starting to look at ehorse... or move out of this crappy state!

- Moe

smf
07-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Moe,

Give this a try. Looks like they'll take Okie's action.

http://www.fgno.com/racing/phonebet.html

ceejay
07-08-2002, 05:33 PM
I closed my FGNO account. They allowed only phone wagers from OK (no netbet). I thought that the service was poor to fair, and the track coverage was limited.

CJ, I don't use Philly, but if I had to I'd give it a try.

Moebius
07-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the link smf, I'll check it out.

I'm afraid I have become used to internet betting, so I''ll try to find something that supports that.
Hey, by the way, I've been following your posts for some time now, and I have to say you are an inspiration to me.

I've switched to trainer handicapping and have never looked backed.

Best of luck!

- Moe

smf
07-09-2002, 12:13 AM
Moe,

Cool...

I saw on edbain.com that you hit a $26 winner @ del park..Iwinski claim for $26 is sweet. Glad to see Del park is still a great place to play claims.

Good luck, and continued success w/ Ed's stats.

BillW
07-09-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by ceejay

I can't seem to bet at YOUBET either. BRISBET seems to work, for today at least.

To the Texan's out there, didn't BRISBET ignore the "changes" that were made there a couple of months ago?

Nope, they chose to ignore ME this time. I believe in the past the opposite had been true.

Bill

Moebius
07-09-2002, 01:34 PM
SMF,

Ed is basically doing what John Whitaker was/ is doing.
If you limit the amount of bets to 3 or 4 and use some weeding process, you can get some fantastic results. What's great about using the stats is not having to manually enter all that data!
I did that for 6 months until my eyes bled... but was worth it.

I also use claim from plays as well.
Before that I was a pace player. Did okay, but I never seemed to get past a 10 % ROI.

With spot and pattern plays my confidence level is much better. Unlike pace were you try to weigh 20 variables and then assign some value line to them.

Anyways, back too work!

-Moe

ceejay
08-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Youbet told me today that they are now accepting action from Oklahoma. Can anyone confirm that?

cato
08-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Yes on YouBet. They are taking action from the Great State of Oklahoma. As is BrisBet and OneClick Betting/The Racing Channel

So whatever stopped them in the first place has, at least for the moment, gone away.

Good luck!

Cato

JustRalph
08-27-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by sq764
Its a shame that TVG is really the only alternative to RTN, and a weak one at that.. I think TVG needs to 'shit or get off the pot'.. Either expand to 2 or 3 channels and expand their weak coverage of tracks, or close up shop..

When you are running 60 million a Quarter through your system, I don't think "Sh#$ or Get off the pot is an option. Let alone "closing up shop" See article below from about a month ago.

TVG POSTS RECORD HANDLE DURING SECOND QUARTER; INCREASED DISTRIBUTION A KEY FACTOR
Los Angeles, CA, July 29, 2003 – Highlighted by record wagering of $4,045,559 on Kentucky Derby day (May 3), TVG posted the highest quarterly handle in company history for the quarter that ended June 30, Mark Wilson, TVG President and CEO announced today.

For the second quarter of 2003, TVG’s handle was $60,986,753, a 142 % increase from the previous quarter, and a 27 % increase from the second quarter of 2002. Helping establish the record was increased television distribution of TVG on the Adelphia, Insight and Comcast cable systems, and on the DISH Network, combined with new distribution agreements with DIRECTV®, Cox Communications and Charter Communications.

“Increased distribution, both on cable and satellite, helped spur an increase in wagering,” said Wilson. “Including distribution via our partnership with Fox Sports Net 2, our network currently delivers racing to approximately 16 million homes. We look forward to continuing this distribution success not only for TVG, but also for our track, horsemen, licensee and distribution partners who benefit directly from this growth.”