PDA

View Full Version : penn national

xfile
01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
anyone know if penn has cancelled tonight and or tomorrow 11/10 and 11/11

BillW
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
anyone know if penn has cancelled tonight and or tomorrow 11/10 and 11/11

Don't know about November ( ;) ) but Equibase thinks the weather will be bad tomorrow (I'm not sure how they know that - maybe they mean tonite)

http://www.equibase.com/products/2006cancellations1.cfm

Bill

EDIT: Of course, tonite is Tuesday and PEN has nothing scheduled (DUH!!!), guess the weather is really bad up there and they are cancelling a day ahead.

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Jocks think the track is dangerous...management tends to disagree, but they've closed to investigate....

http://www.pennnational.com/headlines/news/1136837564.shtml

Si2see
01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
We have lost two horses at Penn national within 5 days of each other in the end of december. One of them we will never know what happened to ( broke down at the top of the stretch ) But the other one was one of the most sound horses I have seen and he "crushed" his seasmoid a quarter mile into the race. So when the jockeys are not riding because of the track condition, I tend to believe them now. And also If anyone has paid attention to the drf classifieds they have been looking for a track maintence manager for about 2 months now. Just my 2 cents

Tom
01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
My rule of thumb is, if you don't put your fat ass in a saddle and ride the track, you aren't entitled to an opinon about it's safety. Jocks put thier lives on the line, track managers make financial descisions. If you run a track on the east coast in winter and don't factor in lost days, you are dumber than I am!

Suff
01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I understand they are taking entrys on Monday, for Wendsday. So 5 days to wait and even then, they may not be good to go. Its touch and go there.

Not to many people make big money at a track like Penn National. Most live hand to mouth. You put these guys on the sidelines for any length of time and things get hard quick.

A hotwalker making 35 a day don't exactly bank a whole bunch for emergency purposes. Low tier Jock's need that 400 a week to eat.

kenwoodallpromos
01-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Some track supers are turning out to be not so super- at some tracks sage "consultants" have to be called in.

Zaf
01-12-2006, 10:33 PM
A Poly Track may be a good solution for Penn National.

Z

TonyK@HSH
01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
A Poly Track may be a good solution for Penn National.

Z

Interesting thought. In fact the HBPA has made that suggestion to track management but it is an expensive proposition (somewhere around $6 million as an estimate). Capital is tight around there right now as work is in progress on building an alternate facility as the track plans to demolish the existing structure in 2Q to build a Racino to accomodate slots.

Tony