PDA

View Full Version : Lookee What Slipped Through Under the Radar!

boxcar
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
If you find this post's contents "annoying", you can now prosecute me.

But seriously, this is something we should all be up in arms over. And airhead Bush signed this into law!? After being passed by an equally inept Congress?
What is this nation coming to?

Has anyone else seen, read or heard about this new law?

Boxcar

1/9/2006
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime
Filed under:

* Politics

— Jennifer Rast @ 2:13 pm

A piece of legislation recently signed by President Bush makes it illegal to send an e-mail or a message over the internet that will annoy someone without revealing your full name. The courts will get to decide what’s annoying and what isn’t, and the penalty, if you are found to have annoyed someone, is two years in jail and a stiff fine. I find it extremely creepy that our Congress believes they should regulate annoying behavior. We really need to clean house in ‘06.

It’s no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity. This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

“The use of the word ‘annoy’ is particularly problematic,” says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. “What’s annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else.”

Buried deep in the new law is Sec. 113, an innocuously titled bit called “Preventing Cyberstalking.” It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet “without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy.”

To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section’s other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

In other words, it’s OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

http://rightwingerz.com/index.php?cat=3

lsbets
01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I read a little bit about this yesterday and haven't had time to go back to it. But, on the site where I was reading there was some dissent from lawyers and law professors about what the law actually says and means. I'll take a look back and a closer read.

ljb
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Not to worry fellows. With all the fuss about wiretapping this is just another means of big brother keeping an eye on the populace. It is in the interest of safety in this war time environment. Dissenters be dammed, we must have security.

toetoe
01-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Pretty much all of you are under citizen's arrest. Be good boys and girls and TURN YOURSELVES IN! :lol:

Can you imagine? Maybe a mass "arrest-in" would solve the problem. What a nightmare. We need MORE LAWS? :faint:

GaryG
01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
I find certain people here annoying and it is barely possible that some may feel the same about me. Pretty subjective thing for the govt to get involved with.

ljb
01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I find certain people here annoying and it is barely possible that some may feel the same about me. Pretty subjective thing for the govt to get involved with.
Think about the threat of terroism Gary, we must all make sacrifices to keep ourselves safe.

twindouble
01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
This post is very annoying. :mad: Who are you??:D

Tom
01-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Is is any wonder Bush signed this? He signed the transporktation bill, too, without reading it. I find THAT rather annoying.

THIS is the kind of crap we get from a republican controlled congress?

fergie
01-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Methinks there could be some on this board who could be considered annoying--not naming names-and please don't consider this annoying--don't want to end up in federal, pound your a** prison. Please this is not intended as an annoyance.

fergie:eek:

twindouble
01-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Methinks there could be some on this board who could be considered annoying--not naming names-and please don't consider this annoying--don't want to end up in federal, pound your a** prison. Please this is not intended as an annoyance.

fergie:eek:

Control freaks will cast their net in any direction, hoping to catch anything that palatable to them, this is just another smelly fish that won't hit the market.

T.D.

andicap
01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Is is any wonder Bush signed this? He signed the transporktation bill, too, without reading it. I find THAT rather annoying.

THIS is the kind of crap we get from a republican controlled congress?

Tom, I've been trying to tell you...you're really a Democrat in sheep's clothing! :D

Don't worry, we're not going to take away your guns!