PDA

View Full Version : New Colonial Downs

GaryG
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
OTB comes to Appalachia! Colonial Downs is opening a new OTB next Wednesday in Scott County VA on the VA/TN line. The wife keeps saying I should get out more, so I think I will. It won't have a lot of amenities, but will be much appreciated nevertheless. The nearest OTB is in Pineville KY, about 2-3 hours from here. :jump: :jump:

exiles
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
the peoople who run Colonial Downs OTB could't run a hot dog cart,they have 2 OTB parlors here in Cheasapeake, its like going to a zoo,but i guess its better than nothing.:bang:

delayjf
01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I used to go to the one in Hampton by the collusium. My only problem with the place was the smoke. I'd could smell it in my breath the next day. If you do attend the one in the Hampton, is Ted (grey-haired man) the host still working there?? I know he had a heart attack a few years back, he seemed to be doing fine the last time I saw him. If so tell him Jeff the Marine from a few years back said Hi.

GaryG
01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I used to go to the one in Hampton by the collusium. My only problem with the place was the smoke. I'd could smell it in my breath the next day. If you do attend the one in the Hampton, is Ted (grey-haired man) the host still working there?? I know he had a heart attack a few years back, he seemed to be doing fine the last time I saw him. If so tell him Jeff the Marine from a few years back said Hi.
Thanks for the info. I am clear across the state but will let you know how it goes. I hope they have the smokers segregated as I don't intend to come home smelling like I smoked two packs. The patrons here are going to be as green as can be. One day next week they are having a handicapping contest. Giving away Secretariat bobble head dolls on opening day.:rolleyes:

JimG
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
If you cannot play online, an otb is the next best thing. My only beef with Colonial is I went to the otb for years and bet quite a bit of money and they still wanted admission each time. No players club whatsoever. No freebies. I only occasionally go now to check in with old track friends. My new track friends are in the war room.

Jim

GaryG
01-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I know what you mean. I have been playing online for so long I miss the atmosphere and companionship. Looking forward to buying a real ticket again. Last live racing I saw was the 2002 BC.

Si2see
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I go to the Colonial downs south richmond on hull street about 3 times a week. The same crowd is usually there, one side of the bar cheering against the other side of the bar horses all day and night. Pretty fun except for the smoke factor like delayjf said about the hampton one. They do seperate the smoking section by putting it right when you walk in the door and to get to non-smoking you are about sick to your stomach already so I just sit in smoking. :bang: