PDA

View Full Version : Are you a mirror?

GameTheory
01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Here's an interesting psychological question that came up recently in my house.

Let's say I have some bit of spinach or other food stuck in-between my teeth that I don't know about. You notice and tell me that I've got something stuck in my teeth. You are facing me and you point to your own teeth to indicate where the food is.

Let's say the bit of food is stuck on the left side, MY LEFT, of my mouth. The question is, when pointing at your own teeth to indicate do you point to YOUR LEFT (literal indication) or do you point to YOUR RIGHT (mirrored indication) as if you were a mirror of my face?

hurrikane
01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Game,

I think you have to get out more.

getting a little gamey. :D

Tom
01-08-2006, 10:30 PM
I would point to the piece of spinach on YOU.

Dan Montilion
01-08-2006, 10:45 PM
I've made it a rule to eat with folks that swallow their food as opposed to using it as dental accessories.

Dan (Toothpick Expert) Montilion

Bobby
01-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I tell you its stuck b/w your teeth. Your job to find it.

toetoe
01-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I would have to abhor the person, not to tell him. Same with boogers and unzipped flies.

Many MSAM's at Golden Gate Fields simulcast think they're windows when they're between the monitor and me. Does that count?

Def.: MSAM. Man Screaming At Monitor.

chickenhead
01-08-2006, 11:46 PM
It always seems no matter how I display it, the other person always interprets it as the opposite. But my natural tendency is to the mirror I think, both in giving and receiving the info.

highnote
01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I don't know. I think it depends on the circumstances. However, I do know that it is amazing how often the other person knows which side I'm refering to -- regardless of which side I choose to reference.

Oh and by the way... you do need to get out more. :D

GameTheory
01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
It never occurred to me that anything other than "mirroring" would be the way to go. The poll results seem to confirm this. But my gf is a strict literalist, which led to some confusion after I had polished off (not quite, it seems) an Oreo yesterday. Maybe it's just women...

highnote
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
HAHAHA -- I'm just picturing that scene...

"Honey, you've got some cookie, right here." She points to her face, but opposite the side of the mirror image.

Then I see you wiping it away from the mirror side of your face and she says, "No. Right here." And she switches to the mirror image and you think that she means the opposite of the mirror image -- which is the same side you're already on -- which means that you think you just missed the cookie the first time.

Then she says, "No. No. NOOO!. Right over here!". She is longer pointing at your face, but uses her finger to point directly to the cookie.

You say, "Oh. Right there. I didn't know which side you meant."

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head.

highnote
01-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I just tried it with my wife. She didn't mirror me. It's a women thing.

Rookies
01-10-2011, 07:04 PM
1) I'm embarassed to say that I'm getting old enough that this stuff ( DEFINITE sign of the old- food on face without knowing) is beginning to happen to me! :lol: :eek: :blush:

2) When it happens with Ben 'n Jerry's at the Spa, always try and find the prettiest feminine friend ( met in the last 5 minutes or lieftime) to ask whether they wouldn't mind licking it off! ;)

highnote
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
2) When it happens with Ben 'n Jerry's at the Spa, always try and find the prettiest feminine friend ( met in the last 5 minutes or lieftime) to ask whether they wouldn't mind licking it off! ;)

Wasn't there a movie about this -- "9 1/2 Weeks"?

GameTheory
01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
2) When it happens with Ben 'n Jerry's at the Spa, always try and find the prettiest feminine friend ( met in the last 5 minutes or lieftime) to ask whether they wouldn't mind licking it off! ;)Please don't do that. Don't spoil their youth. Their lives will suck enough later on...

Grits
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
People help one another, and that's good. At home, if the spinach can't be removed head to the bathroom and reach for your toothbrush, or your dental floss. If in a restaurant, one can swish wine, or whatever beverage, and likely remove the spinach discreetly. On the other hand, if someone in my company picks up a toothpick and begins to clean their teeth either in, or on the way out of a restaurant--I'm history. Gone.

Maybe its a woman thing. :faint:

chickenhead
01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm concerned about whoever dug this dinosaur of a thread up.....what were they searching for....Oreos? Mirrors? An "all threads started by GT" I guess....

GameTheory
01-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm concerned about whoever dug this dinosaur of a thread up.....what were they searching for....Oreos? Mirrors? An "all threads started by GT" I guess....I'm pretty sure most of my finer moments posting-wise were in threads started by others, so I'd go with "all posts by GT". If you stick with started threads, you end up with stuff like this...

bigmack
01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
http://orders.rubberstamps.net/images/Sorted%20Clipart/handprints%20and%20footprints/right%20footprint.gif

I used this to represent right a few years back & it took PA several days to figure out it wasn't left.

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2011, 02:20 AM
That's because I looked at it like I was looking at the bottom of the footprint. In which case it would be a left.

GameTheory
01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
That's because I looked at it like I was looking at the bottom of the footprint. In which case it would be a left.That would never occur to me in a million years. Fascinating.

Time to pull out the spinning dancer:

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/ig/Optical-Illusions/spinning-dancer-illusion.htm

Tom
01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't normally look at footprints from the bottom, unless someone walked over my skylight. :D

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
It must be because I'm used to my TOS being walked all over by more than a few on here.... :lol:

That would never occur to me in a million years. Fascinating.

Time to pull out the spinning dancer:

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/ig/Optical-Illusions/spinning-dancer-illusion.htm

GameTheory
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
It must be because I'm used to my TOS being walked all over by more than a few on here.... :lol:If when shown a footprint, instead you see an actual foot coming down on you, that's GOTTA say something about your psychology. Good thing you are not an "increasingly isolated loner"...

Grits
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Good one, PA, good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ten + years has made you so astute, so astoundingly quick.

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
If when shown a footprint, instead you see an actual foot coming down on you, that's GOTTA say something about your psychology. Good thing you are not an "increasingly isolated loner"...I still saw a footprint....more along the lines of an archeologist lifting it up and examining which foot might have created it....I'm always looking for what's underneath the hood...

Then again you might be right...have you seen my YouTube channel lately??? :eek: :lol: