PDA

View Full Version : Need a computer expert, that can trouble shoot.

twindouble
01-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm having a bitch of a time installing a Wireless Broadband Router on my second one now, the first one my buddy installed and he got nowhere with it said it was faulty so I returned it. The one we installed today produced the same problem.

It shows a very strong signal, I can get on AOL and come here, no problem but when I go to secure sites like Youbet I can only open the home page, it hangs from there.

I have Norton internet security and I'm set at medium on my browser, The router also comes with Norton but it's symantic. I think that's where the conflict lays, but what the heck do I know?

I have windows XP

I relocated my computer and have about 30 feet of wire running through the house from my old router, someone maybe me will forget it's there. LOL.

Thanks,

T.D.

DJofSD
01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
TD, I don't have the faintest what's going on but there's a couple of things I'd try.

First, disable all security -- both H/W and S/W. Then eliminate the router and hook the broadband modem directly to your ethernet card. If you can't browse and see every page then I'd assume there's nothing wrong with the internet connection and start looking at the PC.

If you can't temporarily use a hardwire set up and turn off the security stuff, then double check your SSID and all that good stuff. If your trying WEP right out of the box, start over with none of that. Go ahead and broadcast the SSID, heck, just use the default and try to establish a full connection that way.

My set up is D-Link. My wireless router has 4 ports for wired connection along with the wireless capability. If you have something similar, use the hard wired connection to see if a hardwired connection gets you going.

It's a matter of divide and conquer.

What are the specific makes and models of the various pieces?

twindouble
01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
TD, I don't have the faintest what's going on but there's a couple of things I'd try.

First, disable all security -- both H/W and S/W. Then eliminate the router and hook the broadband modem directly to your ethernet card. If you can't browse and see every page then I'd assume there's nothing wrong with the internet connection and start looking at the PC.

If you can't temporarily use a hardwire set up and turn off the security stuff, then double check your SSID and all that good stuff. If your trying WEP right out of the box, start over with none of that. Go ahead and broadcast the SSID, heck, just use the default and try to establish a full connection that way.

My set up is D-Link. My wireless router has 4 ports for wired connection along with the wireless capability. If you have something similar, use the hard wired connection to see if a hardwired connection gets you going.

It's a matter of divide and conquer.

What are the specific makes and models of the various pieces?

Right now I'm hard wired through the Wireless Router, it's a Linksys wireless G Broadband. It' a all in one 4 port switch and 54mbps. It has Norton symatic internet Security, that's optional so I didn't install that because Norton already came with the computer. I did try disabling Norton but that didn't work.

DJofSD
01-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Open a DOS box, i.e. DOS prompt in a window. Enter IPCONFIG. You should see something on the last line DEAULT GATEWAY. Use that IPADDR in a PING command, e.g. for my system PING 192.168.0.1 . Expect to send and receive 4 packets for zero percent loss.

If you're OK there go to the next level with PING. Enter PING www.google.com . If there's 4 packets out and back then you should be good to go.

Good luck. Reply back.

twindouble
01-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Open a DOS box, i.e. DOS prompt in a window. Enter IPCONFIG. You should see something on the last line DEAULT GATEWAY. Use that IPADDR in a PING command, e.g. for my system PING 192.168.0.1 . Expect to send and receive 4 packets for zero percent loss.

If you're OK there go to the next level with PING. Enter PING www.google.com (http://www.google.com/) . If there's 4 packets out and back then you should be good to go.

Good luck. Reply back.

Thanks, I got side tracked, wife wanted to watch a movie, Gone With the Wind, her fav one. I'll carry on with this tomorrow morning, I can go back to my old router if need be so I can make my bets. I do get a little nervous messing with anything that says Dos. :eek: But I'll risk it. :D

DJofSD
01-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I wondered how you were posting to the PA BBS.

If the only thing being changed is the router then new wireless router or something related to it has got to be the culprit.

Make sure you follow the instructions precisely and use the default settings for the initial effort.

Are you cable or DSL?

twindouble
01-09-2006, 06:11 AM
I wondered how you were posting to the PA BBS.

If the only thing being changed is the router then new wireless router or something related to it has got to be the culprit.

Make sure you follow the instructions precisely and use the default settings for the initial effort.

Are you cable or DSL?

I'm DSL, yes the only change was the new router. I can go back to the old router, using that 30 extention like I said and everything runs fine. When I hook up the Wireless, I can get onto AOL and surf the net with the exception of secure sites, it hangs, home page will open on those sites but that's it, hangs up. When I get off AOL and just use internet explorer, I can't go anywhere hangs on everything.

One other thing, this router is dual, like right now I'm hard wired through it to the old router, that's because I have other computers in the house. I didn't want to mess up the others, they are used for business.

Thanks,

T.D.

DJofSD
01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm not DSL but I have co-workers that are. I'll ask around to see if any of this rings a bell.

ljb
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
jumping in here. I use a linksys router and experienced similiar problems with youbet. They suggested i "enable" popups. believe i found this under tools or internet options.

DJofSD
01-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks ljb. Maybe that's it.

If not, I found some info about troubleshooting DSL here. (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/linksys_router_help.htm) . Surprisingly enough, trying to use the LinkSys pages I couldn't get past their initial tech support page. Oh well.

DJofSD
01-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Feedback from my co-worker is you need to set up the PPPoE. Also, you may not be getting out to the internet at all, your cache could be pulling up pages to make it appear your getting there when in fact you're not.

twindouble
01-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Feedback from my co-worker is you need to set up the PPPoE. Also, you may not be getting out to the internet at all, your cache could be pulling up pages to make it appear your getting there when in fact you're not.

I just got through downloading update, pack 1,2,3 from Microsoft, I believe it was. Anyway it scanded for updates I took what it recomended. I also downloaded AOL's security package. I didn't download Microsoft's security 6 pack, what I did took longer than I expected. I've been very negligent when it comes to downloading anything, only because I've had nothing but trouble doing so, I'm gun shy now but my buddy this morning said I should do it. Those updates didn't help my problem with the router.

If you guys can bare with me, I'm leaving things as is for this afternoon, I'm sure you can guess why. :cool: I'll take it on after dinner.

Thanks,

T.D.