PDA

View Full Version : paranoia abounds

46zilzal
01-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Homeland Security opening private mail

Retired professor confused, angered when letter from abroad is opened

By Brock N. Meeks / MSNBC

WASHINGTON - In the 50 years that Grant Goodman has known and corresponded with a colleague in the Philippines he never had any reason to suspect that their friendship was anything but spectacularly ordinary.

But now he believes that the relationship has somehow sparked the interest of the Department of Homeland Security and led the agency to place him under surveillance.

Last month Goodman, an 81-year-old retired University of Kansas history professor, received a letter from his friend in the Philippines that had been opened and resealed with a strip of dark green tape bearing the words “by Border Protection” and carrying the official Homeland Security seal.

“I had no idea (Homeland Security) would open personal letters,” Goodman told MSNBC.com in a phone interview. “That’s why I alerted the media. I thought it should be known publicly that this is going on,” he said. Goodman originally showed the letter to his own local newspaper, the Kansas-based Lawrence Journal-World.

JustRalph
01-08-2006, 02:12 PM
WASHINGTON - In the 50 years that Grant Goodman has known and corresponded with a colleague in the Philippines he never had any reason to suspect that their friendship was anything but spectacularly ordinary.

Well Professor, It ain't fifty years ago...............it is a brave new world. Being prowled by kooks and terrorists. Welcome to the new world. :D

Secretariat
01-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Well Professor, It ain't fifty years ago...............it is a brave new world. Being prowled by kooks and terrorists. Welcome to the new world. :D

The world of GW...

Tom
01-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, 46s article was only one side of the story. We do not know if either the sender or the recipient is on a watch list or is a terror suspect. You object to opening mail if it comes from susepcted terroists and could save lives?

mainardi
01-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Sec, you're a piece of work... never failing to interject your slant. At least you're consistent.

Back on track... well, what would John Kerry have done? :bang:

Had he won the election, he would have disbanded Homeland Security -- since he considered terrorists just nuisances (his words, not mine) -- so this letter opening "problem" never would have happened. Of course, those "nuisances" would now be running loose in America, where Kerry would probably explain away the bombings (that Homeland Security has prevented on US soil) as something like prostitution or illegal gambling. Reminds me of when Bobby Knight said "If you know you're going to get raped, why not lie back and enjoy it?" (not verbatim, just my recollection).

Oh yeah, and when pressed for a comment to his quotes, Kerry flip-flopped and said that terrorism was the #1 threat to America. :ThmbDown:

boxcar
01-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Kerry was one Sorry candidate nominated by an equally Sorry party who supports the philosophy that America, too, would be better off being Sorry than Safe.

Boxcar

rastajenk
01-09-2006, 11:55 PM
For all we know, this could be as accurate as the story about the student in New Hampshire that lied about agents knocking on his door after taking Mao's Little Red Book out of the library. Or the college professor in California (Berkeley, maybe) that trashed her own car and tried to make it some kind of hate krime against her. Or lots of other similar examples. Libs love the victimization angle.