PDA

View Full Version : COIN COLLECT QUESTION

formula_2002
01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I have been buying the silver proof state quater sets from the US mint since they were first issued.

Ebay has bids of $3000.00 for the 1999 "s" silver proof "PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO"
What is "PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO"?

Thanks
Joe M

highnote
01-08-2006, 11:25 AM
I believe that PF-70 means the grade of the proof coin -- in the case a grade of 70. A 100 point scale?

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Cameo is a method of carving, or an item of jewelry made in this manner. It features a raised (positive) relief image; contrast with intaglio, which has a negative image. The effect of "cameo" also refers to a proof coin that has frosted lettering and features, providing attractive contrast with the mirrored fields of the coin. The terms "deep cameo" and "ultra cameo" describe cameo coins having the boldest, most attractive contrast.

A cameo is usually made of two types of material, commonly precious or semi-precious stone. One material is carved into a figure — the most common type being a profile portrait of a person's head. This is then set upon the other type of material which provides a background of another color to offset the figure.

Alternately, a cameo can be made from (banded) agate, where different layers of the same stone have different colors. Sometimes dyes are used to enhance the colors.

Cameos are often worn as jewelry. Cameos of great artistry were made in Greece dating back as far as the 6th century BC. Cameos were very popular in Ancient Rome and have enjoyed periodic revivals, notably in the early Renaissance, and again in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Turntime
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Coins are graded on a scale of 1 to 70, so a coin graded 70 is "flawless", as perfect a coin as one can get.

twindouble
01-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Proofs are graded the same as Mint State coins, 60 through 70, and are as follows: Proof-60, Proof-61, etc. An impaired or rubbed Proof can be assigned a lower grade, such as Proof-50 or Proof-58.

Cameo, ultra cameo, mirror, or frosted is in the eyes of the beholder, subjective per swetyejohn. Perfection in coins don't make them rare in my opinion. So, beware that bubble will burst down the road.

T.D.

highnote
01-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I should mention, I don't know anything about coins. I just did a search on some of the key phrases and cut and pasted the results.