PDA

View Full Version : Lou Rawls Is Dead

toetoe
01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I just read Saturday morning of the passing of Lou Rawls. God, I loved that voice, described by NYT's Ben Ratliff as a "dry, mentholated baritone." :ThmbUp:

Rest in peace, Lou. Nothing, not even the fact that I can't listen to anything you did after 1975, can spoil your work with Sam Cooke and Les McCann, or your other records on Capitol. You were the best. :(

46zilzal
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
When I used to move the 49er's gear, they onced played at home (Candlestick) while the A's were playing in the World Series across the bay in Oakland. After we went up into the stands we noted a number of people with portable TV's trying to watch the game over there as well. Lou Rawls sang the national anthem and then we heard a helicopter taking off. Didn't think much of it until we heard him singing the national anthem over there in Oakland a few minutes later.

chickenhead
01-08-2006, 01:48 PM
what years were you working with the Niners 46? Early 70's?

46zilzal
01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
what years were you working with the Niners 46? Early 70's?
when they were HORRIBLE between 72 and 77. Got to me Plunkett a very nice fellow before he went to Oakland. I actually moved Bill Walsh from San Diego to the bay area after he left the Chargers as their QB coach. NEVER forgot that one as we damaged his car which was loaded in the trailer.