PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Rate Falls to 4.9 Percent

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Unemployment Rate Falls to 4.9 Percent (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/finhome/topstories/apf/*http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060106/economy.html?.v=17)
AP -- Businesses boosted payrolls modestly in December, and the unemployment rate dropped to 4.9 percent -- evidence, President Bush said, of the economy's resiliency in the face of last year's hurricanes and high energy costs.

DJofSD
01-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Let me be the first -- Bush lied, oops, no, it's Bush's fault, wait a minute, I was right the first time, Bush lied.

GaryG
01-06-2006, 07:05 PM
It is Bush's fault it didn't go even lower. Now if we just had Ted Kennedy in the White House....:lol: :lol: Wait, that is a scary bleeping thought.

boxcar
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
And...it's Bush's fault that sooooooo many are underemployed. (Let's not overloook this little item.)

Boxcar

toetoe
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Disinterested politically here, but what did Tony Calo say when a skanky lady walked past Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy? No, not "Gaining ground." "WHO wants it more?" :confused:

GaryG
01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Disinterested politically here, but what did Tony Calo say when a skanky lady walked past Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy? No, not "Gaining ground." "WHO wants it more?" :confused:
LMAO.....:lol: :lol: :lol:
And Ted Kennedy to Gary Hart: You get the girls, Ill drive.

toetoe
01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Gary,

I'm listening to a song about poisoning the pigeons in the park. I'm sure it's Phil Ochs. Wish I had him in my 'small circle of friends."

Oops, it was Tom Lehrer, and that's ... MY bad. :eek:

toetoe
01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
I almost forgot my Ted Kennedy sighting! :jump: He was at Circuit City, buying a laptop. He SWORE he was supposed to get a dance thrown in with it. Wait, maybe it was Wilbur Mills ?? :confused:

JustRalph
01-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Wait, maybe it was Wilbur Mills ?? :confused:

man, that is digging deep...............

Bobby
01-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Wait, maybe it was Wilbur Mills ?? :confused:

real deep

toetoe
01-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Okay, okay. It was Rosie. :lol:

gurulj
01-07-2006, 09:58 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The liberals will find some way to spin it in the other direction... like only 95.1% of American are employed and it's all that freaking Bush's fault!!!

Tom
01-07-2006, 10:40 AM
As horseplayers, this unemployment rate has got to be a ridiculous statistic to be citing. If I win 35% of my bets and lose money, how important is that 35%?

What is the value of the new jobs compared to ones they replaced?
Let's get a real life stat and cut out the BS from both sides.
McJobs are nothing to brag about.
How many of the new jobs created are manufacturing jobs? How many include the phrase "You want fries wiht that?"

Anyone who puts faith in the unemployment rate probably uses the DRF SR+TV. :rolleyes:

NoDayJob
01-07-2006, 03:11 PM
What is the value of the new jobs compared to ones they replaced?
Let's get a real life stat and cut out the BS from both sides.
McJobs are nothing to brag about.
How many of the new jobs created are manufacturing jobs? How many include the phrase "You want fries wiht that?"

Anyone who puts faith in the unemployment rate probably uses the DRF SR+TV. :rolleyes:

:) Ya fo'got sumtin'! Only one breadwinner was required to buy a house, car[s], tv's, et cetera. Multiple jobs and breadwinners is today's reality. Employment stats changed shortly after President Kennedy was elected. Yup, I do use the DRF's SR+TV in my software. Not in the normal way, however. :)

JustRalph
01-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey Tom, they are starting kids at $10 an hour at Mcdonalds in this area. And they can't get enough of them.............

Tom
01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
:) Ya fo'got sumtin'! Only one breadwinner was required to buy a house, car[s], tv's, et cetera. Multiple jobs and breadwinners is today's reality. Employment stats changed shortly after President Kennedy was elected. Yup, I do use the DRF's SR+TV in my software. Not in the normal way, however. :)

(pssssst....I still use it for some things too!)

Tom
01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey Tom, they are starting kids at $10 an hour at Mcdonalds in this area. And they can't get enough of them.............

Send me an application!
And super-size it, please!:D

Secretariat
01-07-2006, 11:41 PM

Wow..then they're shouldn't be any problem with raising the minimum wage to say less than 10?

ljb
01-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Ahh what joy, to be a kid again.

lsbets
01-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Wow..then they're shouldn't be any problem with raising the minimum wage to say less than 10?

Only if you want to kill a lot of small businesses where the bulk of the work is done by the owners and who rely on part time help during their busy times. Either they would find a way to pay the higher minimum and take less profit, which could well lead to them closing the doors because with less profit the incentive to take the risk of owning your own business isn't nearly as attractive, or if they had two employees at a certain time, they would try to get it done with one, effectively losing one job, and quite probably hurting the companies bottom line by slowing down their processes. So, if you want to kill small business and move everyone into the corporate world, that's a great idea.

ljb
01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Only if you want to kill a lot of small businesses where the bulk of the work is done by the owners and who rely on part time help during their busy times. Either they would find a way to pay the higher minimum and take less profit, which could well lead to them closing the doors because with less profit the incentive to take the risk of owning your own business isn't nearly as attractive, or if they had two employees at a certain time, they would try to get it done with one, effectively losing one job, and quite probably hurting the companies bottom line by slowing down their processes. So, if you want to kill small business and move everyone into the corporate world, that's a great idea.
Small businesses are a thing of the past, Walmart marches on.

DJofSD
01-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Surely you jest.

lsbets
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Wow - that surely is the dumbest post of the year. Small businesses create the majority of new jobs in this country every year, including last year, and they will again next year. As long as the American spirit is alive and well there will always be small businesses and people willing to risk everything they have to build the American dream. That is, unless the government makes it impossible for small businesses to succeed.

JustRalph
01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
That is, unless the government makes it impossible for small businesses to succeed.

After running a small company for the last year, I can tell you that this is my greatest battle every day. I just paid a tax bill of $150 bucks that was described as " for having the pleasure of doing business in Ohio"

Our legislature decided they needed a few more bucks and decided to enact a pleasure tax on small business...........I can tell you, the pleasure is being sucked right out of doing business..............

lsbets
01-08-2006, 01:16 PM
After running a small company for the last year, I can tell you that this is my greatest battle every day. I just paid a tax bill of $150 bucks that was described as " for having the pleasure of doing business in Ohio"

Our legislature decided they needed a few more bucks and decided to enact a pleasure tax on small business...........I can tell you, the pleasure is being sucked right out of doing business..............

I've had the internet end of my business up and running for about 2 months now. The brick and mortar side opens in March. The cost of compliance with government rules and regulations is ridiculous. We are finishing out a shell space in a new building. Between environmental, safety, and ADA compliance our finish out cost is about 35% higher than it should be. Forget about taxes. You fail to tell the state of Texas that you hired someone within 20 days of hiring them? $500 fine, automatic. Miscalculate your payroll taxes that you match on your employees? Fines out the ass. So, you have to hire an accountant or a payroll company. State franchise tax, local personal property tax on business assets, it adds up - and that's less money that can be used to expand the business, add benefits for employees, more pay for employees, or create another job for someone. But, the government keeps passing unnecessary and burdensome rules and regulations which perpetuate the jobs of the bureacracy. I am confident in saying that 90% of small businesses are in violation of some law or regulation - either because they don't know about it (try finding out all the rules that govern your business, that in itself could take a lifetime) or because complying would cost too much and because of that its worth risking non-compliance.

DJofSD
01-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Isbets, if I didn't know better I'd say you were in California.

lsbets
01-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Isbets, if I didn't know better I'd say you were in California.

You know what DJ, I talked to someone I know in California who is in a similar business who said the same thing. The town where the first store is opening is requiring us to put in a 750 gallon grease trap, even though we do not do anything that produces grease. We had an engineer certify that a 100 gallon grease interceptor would be more than sufficient, but we were told rules are rules and I think one of the approved vendors for grease trap maintenance is related to the head of the town's plans department, so we were told - nope 750 gallons, no matter what some engineer says. We went to the city with a mountain of evidence and with actual printed guidelines from other cities (this one doesn't have any printed guidelines) where we were able to demonstrate that we do not need a grease trap of that size. So, there's an extra 7 grand out of pocket to make the city happy. Texas is not nearly as business friendly as many people think, and our fine governor feels that instead of permitting slot machnies at existing gambling facilities a better way to raise revenues would be to raise business taxes.

chickenhead
01-08-2006, 01:42 PM
ls -- a little off topic, I saw you do a lot of gourmet coffee, do you do your own roasting? My girlfriend used to work for a roasting company that had some pretty unique roaster machines. Good for small/medium volume without much capital investment. Let me know if you're interested.

lsbets
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
ls -- a little off topic, I saw you do a lot of gourmet coffee, do you do your own roasting? My girlfriend used to work for a roasting company that had some pretty unique roaster machines. Good for small/medium volume without much capital investment. Let me know if you're interested.

Fresh roasted gourmet coffee, seemed like a natural transition from Army Captain commanding a company at war. So yes, I do my own roasting, and send me some info, I'm always up to take a new look at something.

DJofSD
01-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Isbets - I feel for you. If I get my way, my brothers and I are going to get out of our business. But it's going to be tough. It never gets easier only tougher. And no good deed goes unpunished thanks to lawyers.

lsbets
01-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Isbets - I feel for you. If I get my way, my brothers and I are going to get out of our business. But it's going to be tough. It never gets easier only tougher. And no good deed goes unpunished thanks to lawyers.

Don't let the complaining about the government make you think that I am unhappy in any way, shape, or form with the decision to not go back to my corporate job when I got home from Iraq. Despite the challenges, I wouldn't trade controlling my own destiny for anything.