PDA

View Full Version : Wondering Why ...

toetoe
01-06-2006, 12:22 PM
The Grade II race in Louisiana has only 8 entrants, 3 or 4 real hard knockers, BUT ... the 9 in the Gulfstream race, for 1/4 the purse, include some that should be going for the La. money. For example, Dale Romans has MB Sea in the La. race, and he should get at least a check. However, Wiggins, his horse in the Fla. race, is arguably a better horse! Why not run both at La.? Separate owners, too. Unless he thinks Wiggins is 1) a lock, or 2) broken down? :confused:

That Old Trieste horse with the 8-race win streak, has a chance! In a $400,000 Grade II!

GlenninOhio
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
An indirect answer.

GP has managed a mean trick over the years - decent sized fields of the highest quality running for purses that are so meager they should be an embarrassment. I'm referring specifically to the allowance level and the overnight-type stakes, not the marquee graded stakes. Check out the quality of the horses running for $32,000 and $33,000 allowance purses all day on Saturday.

How do they manage this? My guess is for the same reason real estate prices are in nosebleed territory in South Florida - lots of very rich people down there for the winter who own horses and who want to see them run in their own back yard at one of the most prestigious meets of the racing year.

One man's opinion.

toetoe
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Glenn. That's a sensical take. Even in the absence of the Floridians, a few more should be going for the big pot in La. I'm just a spoiled horseplayer, maybe.

boxcar
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
An indirect answer.

GP has managed a mean trick over the years - decent sized fields of the highest quality running for purses that are so meager they should be an embarrassment. I'm referring specifically to the allowance level and the overnight-type stakes, not the marquee graded stakes. Check out the quality of the horses running for $32,000 and $33,000 allowance purses all day on Saturday.

How do they manage this? My guess is for the same reason real estate prices are in nosebleed territory in South Florida - lots of very rich people down there for the winter who own horses and who want to see them run in their own back yard at one of the most prestigious meets of the racing year.

One man's opinion.

You're absolutely right! The sub-tropic climes appeals to all kinds of snowbirds and plays a very large part for why winter racing in Florida thrives.

Boxcar

GaryG
01-06-2006, 06:11 PM
The New Mexico shipper could take it.