PDA

View Full Version : Media Blunder

CryingForTheHorses
01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I was reading todays Miami Herald sports section,Looking at all the pics of the glorious opening day of GP.On page 12D Joe Rimkus Jr took a pic of the horse Bay Marvel that broke down, Yes THEY published a pic of this poor horse running on his broken leg, FOR ALL the world to see.IF the media thinks this is publicity, They have gone to NEW lows. Im ashamed that the photographer that took this pic didnt have a heart for the Fans, owner trainer or those who were involved with him.I thnk a retraction on the front page should be in order for this hideous photo.

Doc
01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree with you, McShell. I haven't seen the photo, nor do I want to, but I did see the race yesterday - I bet the horse. Publishing a photo like that only turns people off to horse racing. I may drop the editor an e-mail telling him so. :ThmbDown:

Doc

46zilzal
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I remember how many times they showed poor little Go For Wand, scared half out of her mind, falling and then trying to get up on a stump......NO need to repeat that. people know it is part of the game

twindouble
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I remember how many times they showed poor little Go For Wand, scared half out of her mind, falling and then trying to get up on a stump......NO need to repeat that. people know it is part of the game

The freaking media has gone nuts!! Their taste is in their stupid ass! Nothing more to say. :mad:

SJ761
01-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Take out your anger here, I did. I let them know just how mad this made me feel. No reason to publish a photo like that. You don't need a photo to tell the story.
SJ
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/opinion/2598828.htm

karlskorner
01-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Like they use to say on Channel 7 (Miami) " IF IT BLEEDS, IT LEADS "

Doc
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I just sent the executive editor of that rag an e-mail, too.

Doc :(

Doc
01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey, I got a response from the Miami Herald's editor already. Read it and weep!

Thank you for your e-mail. It gives our photographers no pleasure to witness and photograph such tragic events -- be they the agony of dying horse or the victims of a terrorist bombing. But these are newsworthy situations and it is our commitment to our readers that we will deliver the news to them as best we can, the bad with the good.

Respectfully,

Tom Fiedler
Executive Editor

karlskorner
01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Like I said " If it bleeds, it leads "

twindouble
01-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey, I got a response from the Miami Herald's editor already. Read it and weep!

Thank you for your e-mail. It gives our photographers no pleasure to witness and photograph such tragic events -- be they the agony of dying horse or the victims of a terrorist bombing. But these are newsworthy situations and it is our commitment to our readers that we will deliver the news to them as best we can, the bad with the good.

Respectfully,

Tom Fiedler
Executive Editor

Doc, can I copy that so I can reply to that ASS H--!

Sailwolf
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I hope you will reply to the a-----e. I like to see his(her) response.:mad: :ThmbDown:

twindouble
01-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I hope you will reply to the a-----e. I like to see his(her) response.:mad: :ThmbDown:

Sailwolf, on second thought I'd end up in court whereas others here have the words to cut the sucker to pieces and get away with it. Heck, I know of two that are so good at it I don't realize what they said untill I look up the words and read it a half dozen times. :eek:

lsbets
01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I remember that horse from when Bret Calhoun used to train him. He was a fast, talented horse very prone to injury. When I saw how low they dropped him for the race I figured because of his history he was hurting and the trainer was hoping to have him claimed. Obviously I have no way of proving it, but having known a bit about this horse for about 3 years and having talked with his old trainer about him, my gut tells me the trainer ran a horse that he knew needed to rest, not run. :mad:

GeTydOn
01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Crazy that they'd consider a broken down horse and a terrorist bombing equally newsworthy.

Tom
01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Sailwolf, on second thought I'd end up in court whereas others here have the words to cut the sucker to pieces and get away with it. Heck, I know of two that are so good at it I don't realize what they said untill I look up the words and read it a half dozen times. :eek:

Come visit me on Thursday, 'cause I let the POS Tom have both barrels.
Wonder who reads the email to him? POS jerk.

toetoe
01-05-2006, 11:56 PM
twin,

Thanks for the c-o-m-p-l-i-m-e-n-t. :lol:

Bobby
01-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I was at DED one evening a couple of years back. And standing outside at the finish line and the fillies coming down the stretch, and BAM one of them stumbles, loses the jock, and has a knob. Couldn't watch the races w/o thinking, grimacing about that for MONTHS. I can't imagine them showing a photo of a breakdown in the newspaper.

twindouble
01-06-2006, 12:18 AM
twin,

Thanks for the c-o-m-p-l-i-m-e-n-t. :lol:

Your very wecome, I'm finely learning new words, I think just reading the racing form for 45 years now had something to do with my poor spelling. :cool:

I knew the media was going to hell many years ago, took a lunch break at a local dellie, walked up to the counter ordered coffee and sand. Just to my left was the news rack, The head line was Man falls from subway platform is beheaded, that was bad enough to spoil my appetite but I almost puked when I saw his head laying on the track. Needless to say, I canceled my order, never saw anything like that in my life, that freaking picture has a way of cropping up now and then like it just did. I get the same feeling when I see a horse break down.

Doc
01-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Doc, can I copy that so I can reply to that ASS H--!

Twindouble, feel free to copy it and send that editor your thoughts. I might add that in the e-mail I sent him, I wrote that publishing a photo like that does nothing to help the racing industry in Florida, but I guess from his response he could care less.

Doc

Doc
01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
By the way, this thread has been picked up by www.Equidaily.com. (http://www.Equidaily.com.) Click on this website and it's at the top of the page.

Doc

DerbyTrail
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey, I got a response from the Miami Herald's editor already. Read it and weep! Thank you for your e-mail. It gives our photographers no pleasure to witness and photograph such tragic events -- be they the agony of dying horse or the victims of a terrorist bombing. But these are newsworthy situations and it is our commitment to our readers that we will deliver the news to them as best we can, the bad with the good.

Respectfully,

Tom Fiedler
Executive Editor

Doc,

At least you provoked a response... You did better than I when in '03 I savaged Fiedler and Co. over their brilliant journalistic instincts in the Santos-Derby "Scandal". The Herald is pathetic. They never bothered to respond... I could only find what I wrote Clark Spencer...

I hope you and Frank Carlson are happy with your handiwork. You have single-handedly injured thoroughbred racing in a way many times worse than the Pick 6 scandal. By implicating Santos and the connections of Funny Cide in your misguided rush for glory you have successfully defamed a group of people whose accomplishments were exactly what the racing industry has been waiting for and looking forward to. Small time players that shocked the world.

What you did is indefensible. It is an act of outrageous journalistic hubris that I am confident will result in an aggressive legal action against the Herald. Did it occur to either of you to watch the NBC footage of the race where Santos switches hands with the stick twice down the stretch? Did you see other photographs of Santos OPEN PALMED after crossing the line? Or with his fist wrapped clearly around the handle of his crop? Are you going to tell me there isn't anyone on the staff of the MIAMI HERALD THAT COULD HAVE INTERVIEWED SANTOS IN SPANISH? What kind of editor allowed you to run with this story?

I'm curious if there is some other motivation for this, besides personal aggrandizement? I don't know anything about your work, but would assume you're a hard working reporter always on the lookout for a great story. There was a great story here... One about a gelded, working class horse, its low profile but highly respected trainer, its immigrant jockey back in career top form and owners that are not millionaires that beat the odds and won the greatest race in the world. That story wasn't good enough for you guys though. You had to figure out a way to try and sully it.

Congratulations, you managed to achieve whatever your shallow goals were.

Murph
01-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Like they use to say on Channel 7 (Miami) " IF IT BLEEDS, IT LEADS "

It seems that many of you would prefer the media paint their stories in pastel
colors so the item will look much better from your view behind the rose coloured lenses.

Of course this is the opinion of a NEW guy with less than 20 posts.

I'm fairly certain it stinks.

Murph

toetoe
01-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Murph, the Thorostats guy? Welcome.

twindouble
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Derby Trial;

Fantastic letter, I wish I could write like that, on the other hand I prob wouldn't know enough to shut up and get carried away. :eek:

JPinMaryland
01-08-2006, 02:14 PM
interesting thread. I think the best response was when getit noted they think terrrorist bombings and broken down horses are equally newsworthy. Anyhow, I have mixed emotions, if it happened it happened, it's hard to argue in favor of censorship or in this case...restraint? It happened, it happens in racing all the time, is not seeing it any better? I remember I kept running that tape of Snack's last race over and over, last spring, trying to figure out what happened. The camera angle cut away from front on view just as he took that misstep, so you could barely see it. I felt bad about it, but had to see it too.

rokitman
01-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Doc,

At least you provoked a response... You did better than I when in '03 I savaged Fiedler and Co. over their brilliant journalistic instincts in the Santos-Derby "Scandal". The Herald is pathetic. They never bothered to respond... I could only find what I wrote Clark Spencer...

I think I ended up in the DRF after that incident. Apparently, they found my meanderings on the matter so charismatic and compelling that they sent me an email requesting that I send them an email granting permission to publish it. But I don't buy the DRF and I'll be gaddamned if I'm gonna spring for it just because I'm in it.