PDA

View Full Version : No Triple Crown bonus?

Ron
01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Do you think they'll dig one up? Did I miss this discussion?

OTM Al
01-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Visa's sponsorship ended this past year. When this was first started, wasn't there something like a $1 million bonus to the horse that had the best overall record in the 3 races as sort of an enticement for the horses not to bail after the Derby?

JulieKrone
01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Visa's sponsorship ended this past year. When this was first started, wasn't there something like a $1 million bonus to the horse that had the best overall record in the 3 races as sort of an enticement for the horses not to bail after the Derby?

And it didn't really accomplish its purpose.

Wiley
01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
And it didn't really accomplish its purpose.

Hard to say, the bonus point structure for horses that ran in all three races stopped years ago. The last I remember getting it was Risen Star in '88, though it could have lasted longer. Maybe somebody knows the year it changed to only a winner take all basis?
To contenders on the fence I am sure the bonus was at least a partial influence on running or not, it was I think $1 million to the highest point getter.

Ron
01-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I knew Visa's contract was up but I thought they would get another sponsor by nomination time. The tracks went and got individual sponsors which makes the Triple Crown sponsorship much less attractive. Could this be the end? Its basically no longer a Triple Crown. The Preakness could go bye bye.

GeTydOn
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Wasn't it first the Chrysler Triple Crown? That's who had the bonus on points. Then Visa took over.

Spend a Buck (85) left the Triple Crown series after winning the Derby to race in the Jersey Derby instead of the Preakness. A $1 million bonus was offered if the Derby winner could win the Jersey Derby. And he did.

Maybe 86 was the first year of the bonus. It was definitely in place in 87.

Wiley
01-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Wasn't it first the Chrysler Triple Crown? That's who had the bonus on points. Then Visa took over.

Yes, you are right because I remember in '88 Lamarque, a big Ford dealership owner in New Orleans, and Rousel the owners of Risen Star got a Chrysler car with the money and they laughed about it, think they gifted the car with the bonus money to the Sisters of the Poor there. Maybe Visa took over in '89?

The bonus money was a response to the Spend a Buck bonus route through Robert Brennan's Garden State Park. It was actually a series of 4 races the Cherry Hill Mile, the Garden State Stakes, the Ky Derby and the Jersey Derby and he got a $2 million bonus. I think there was a $1 million bonus if you just won the first three. I think it was also the first year the bonus was offered and the Bucker took down the money.

A bonus did not exist from the first recognized Triple Crown year 1930 Gallant Fox till 1986 so I don't see the TC losing it's recognition just because there isn't a monetary reward for winning it. Owners will still run to win it for the prestige that goes with it, maybe not as hard though without the bonus. Hopefully someone picks it up. It's pretty low risk given the history of winning the Crown.

depalma13
01-13-2006, 09:03 PM
The lack of a bonus just ensures, the next Triple Crown winner (whoever it will be) after the Belmont, will never step on a race track again.