PDA

View Full Version : Pletcher Training at PBD and PAY

BIG49010
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Can Todd Pletcher train horses at these two training centers while suspended?

I asked this before, and no answers.

Thanks

saratoga guy
01-04-2006, 04:26 PM
He's not suspended yet -- he lost his appeal to the NYSRWB, but has the option to go to civil court and I believe he and his lawyer indicated that was an option they would pursue.

But, if you're speaking hypothetically, it's an interesting question: What would a private training facility do in the event of a suspension?

However, suspensions of trainers and jockeys are typically upheld reciprocally. According to published reports of the suspension that was handed down last year to Richard Dutrow, "During the period of said suspension, (Dutrow) shall not participate in New York State pari-mutuel horse racing directly or indirectly, and shall be denied privileges and use of the grounds of all New York State racetracks."

Therefore, if that ruling was upheld by other jurisdictions, you would assume that they wouldn't allow a horse to run that had been trained by Pletcher at a private facility.

But again, it's an interesting question.

Tom Barrister
01-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I would guess that while under suspension....he may not train at any private facility....in NY or anywhere else...and send any horse trained by him to a NYRA track to race. That is indirectly participating in NYRA racing. It is obvious that he cannot be stopped from training on his own farm and his own training track. But those horses would probably technically not be eligible to race at any NYRA tracks ...or any tracks honoring the NYRA suspension.... while he is suspended. Proving it would be another thing.

Figman
01-04-2006, 05:35 PM
The answer depends if these training centers are licensed by the State or not? The fact is that most state racing commissions belong to one of two groups, the Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI) or the National Associations of Pari-Mutuel Regulators (NAPRA). The members within these groups usually give reciprocity to rulings issued by other members. In fact, these two groups recently merged within the past month.

So if you are working somewhere that a commission license is required, chances are you are suspended from participation.

BIG49010
01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry I should have said speaking hypothetically, What would a private training facility do in the event of a suspension?

My records show Pletcher has never run a horse that worked at PAY or PBD. He always trained everything at PM or GP.

Hopefully someone can give us an answer.

I should say I am a big fan of Pletcher, and he has helped my bankroll over the years.

Figman
01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I gave you the answer. When finality comes to his suspension he is not locked up in jail. He can train wherever he wants - Palm Beach, etc. EXCEPT he cannot participate in a licensed jurisdiction that gives reciprocity.