PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins, drugs and preventive medicine?

twindouble
01-04-2006, 07:11 AM
I'd like know more about vitamin supplements and diets. Not for me, my wife and sister in-law are about to get serious about it, at least they say they are. I feel better getting information here rather than going to other sites or reading up on it because in most cases a product is being promoted or there's some other agenda. Getting both sides is always better, right?

Thanks,

T.D.

speedking
01-04-2006, 08:38 AM
T.D.

I view most of the people touting various miracle supplements the same way I regarded most racing touts and system sellers, that is, with the greatest of skepticism. Health problems this past year encouraged me to take a closer look at the alternative medicine field. The following two websites are among the best of I found for quality products and information.

www.garynull,com (http://www.garynull,com)

www.drhoffman.com (http://www.drhoffman.com)

Prices are not cheap for the vitamins and supplements, but the quality is first rate and prices on their specials can be very good. Hope this helps.

speedking

boxcar
01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
The fatal flaw (bad pun intended) with conventional medicine is that the chemicals they want you to dump into your body attack only the symptons, so doctors today are essentially only treating effects and not causes. Of course, the other equally horrendous flaw is the very serious side affects those toxic chemicals (err...I mean "drugs") have on your body. Listening to drug ads on TV is more frightening than the opening minutes in the original Jaws movie.

With repsect to vitamins, supplements, etc. , my advice is to stick to the natural stuff. For example, for the last two years now I've been faithfully taking natural Vitamin C -- stuff that you can't buy over-the-counter in a brick 'n' motar store. The stuff is really potent, it's a natural food item, and the incidents of colds, flus and sniffles and the like have decreased dramatically for me over this period.

Boxcar

twindouble
01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
The fatal flaw (bad pun intended) with conventional medicine is that the chemicals they want you to dump into your body attack only the symptons, so doctors today are essentially only treating effects and not causes. Of course, the other equally horrendous flaw is the very serious side affects those toxic chemicals (err...I mean "drugs") have on your body. Listening to drug ads on TV is more frightening than the opening minutes in the original Jaws movie.

With repsect to vitamins, supplements, etc. , my advice is to stick to the natural stuff. For example, for the last two years now I've been faithfully taking natural Vitamin C -- stuff that you can't buy over-the-counter in a brick 'n' motar store. The stuff is really potent, it's a natural food item, and the incidents of colds, flus and sniffles and the like have decreased dramatically for me over this period.

Boxcar

That's been my position for the last 40 years.

SpeedKing; Here's the problem, right now the girls are getting input from family and friends, plus being swamped by media, so it's going to be tough for me to get them on my side. So, I need impartial opinions from all sides, middle aged woman have been getting swamped with all the drugs and diet programs out there. Their needs are different in my opinion when it comes to diet and exercise. I think I can get them where they want to be but as of now they won't listen.

Valuist
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I've always heard that if you eat a balanced diet, you shouldn't need vitamins. Excess vitamins and protein will just get flushed down the toilet. Athletes and those who burn larger than normal amounts of calories, may have greater vitamin, mineral and protein needs than normal.

twindouble
01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I've always heard that if you eat a balanced diet, you shouldn't need vitamins. Excess vitamins and protein will just get flushed down the toilet. Athletes and those who burn larger than normal amounts of calories, may have greater vitamin, mineral and protein needs than normal.

I agree, funny thing was they all ready went out and bought some green tea. :confused:

chickenhead
01-04-2006, 01:45 PM
seems like whenever people want to get healthy, first thing they go do is go and BUY some stuff, usually expensive vitamins. Something about our consumer culture I guess.

Don't know what their diet is right now, tell 'em to cut out the processed foods. Next time shopping buy only some vegetables, some grains, some meat and fish, some dairy, etc. But none of that crap in a box where you just add water, no premade crap to put in the freezer, nothing already made for you. If you guys eat tons of meat, introduce one or two days or three days a week where no meat for dinner. Less beef more white meats, but as part of a dish rather than a big stand alone serving. I hope someone in your house cooks, being a good cook helps.

Eat real food, excersise by walking often, maybe join a little yoga class somewhere, maybe a gym with a swimming pool.

Done. Being healthy isn't that hard.

twindouble
01-04-2006, 02:07 PM
seems like whenever people want to get healthy, first thing they go do is go and BUY some stuff, usually expensive vitamins. Something about our consumer culture I guess.

Don't know what their diet is right now, tell 'em to cut out the processed foods. Next time shopping buy only some vegetables, some grains, some meat and fish, some dairy, etc. But none of that crap in a box where you just add water, no premade crap to put in the freezer, nothing already made for you. If you guys eat tons of meat, introduce one or two days or three days a week where no meat for dinner. Less beef more white meats, but as part of a dish rather than a big stand alone serving. I hope someone in your house cooks, being a good cook helps.

Eat real food, excersise by walking often, maybe join a little yoga class somewhere, maybe a gym with a swimming pool.

Done. Being healthy isn't that hard.

:) So far this is going in my favor, I do most of the cooking and that's pretty much what my menu is, I mix it up real good, fish, chicken, meat, some pork, lots of fresh vegetables, little wine for her more for me. I also make my own home made soups, plus I bake now and the for a treat. I told her to get a check up first.

Dan Montilion
01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
TD,

Here are two more to confuse you.

http://www.wellnessletter.com/ http://www.wholehealthmd.com/

Dan Montilion

twindouble
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
TD,

Here are two more to confuse you.

http://www.wellnessletter.com/ http://www.wholehealthmd.com/

Dan Montilion

Thanks Dan, I sent her sister the links. I don't want them going off the deep end with this new year venture.