PDA

View Full Version : commission???

traynor
01-03-2006, 03:27 AM
This is a question from personal curiosity, and is not intended to be derogatory in any way. Does anyone know how much commission is paid to software developers by data providers? I am particularly curious about All-Ways, which seems to require special files that don't work on other software, and costs considerably more for the subscription. Anyone have any information on this topic?
Good Luck

Jeff P
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Don't know if Frandsen Publishing has a special deal with Bris or not. For the rest of us I know that Bris does have a program where developers can link to the Bris site, and Bris will pay a token amount back to the developer when new account sign ups occur as a direct result of that link. I haven't bothered with this so far - mainly because it is such a small amount to begin with and almost all of my clients had either a Bris or TSN account before they ever came to me.

-jp

garyoz
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I am certain there is a revenue split with Frandsen and Bris. I also think that the terms are unlikely to ever to be made public. Remember that there is a free version of Allways available from Bris. No way that Gary Hall would give that away. There is a lot of marketing for Allways in magazines targeted at Horse Players. That could either be covered on a co-op basis or by Bris.

I think that shared revenues is pretty much the model that has evolved. Synergism VI orginally cost more than $500 dollars, but is free now and Bob Purdy refunded the purchase price to those of us who bought it in the form of lower cost data from HDW for a year (a very nice gesture). Also, HTR provides excellent software for free that uses HDW data on a monthly basis.

To me the terms of the revenue split isn't really any of my business. What is important is the end-user cost and of course, software performance.

cj
01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Don't know if Frandsen Publishing has a special deal with Bris or not. For the rest of us I know that Bris does have a program where developers can link to the Bris site, and Bris will pay a token amount back to the developer when new account sign ups occur as a direct result of that link. I haven't bothered with this so far - mainly because it is such a small amount to begin with and almost all of my clients had either a Bris or TSN account before they ever came to me.

-jp

I don't think the amount is that small, it is 20% of any downloads the person makes, ever. I think I've had 15 people sign up and usually get around $100 a month. That is just since July I think. Certainly won't lead to an early retirement, but not a bad deal.

Jeff P
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
20 percent? I seem to remember getting an email from John Broadbent offering me 3 percent.

-jp

cj
01-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow, mine is TSN, Harry Furlong or something like that. I get a check every month now, I think they send one if you are over $100 balance. Definitely it is 20%, I get an invoice with the check.

I think it was 10% unless I agreed not to advertise any other PP providers.

Jeff P
01-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm going to write them and see what they're offering now. The email I received was based on a Bris program and offered 3 percent. I wasn't even aware that TSN had a commission program.

Thanks.

-jp

cj
01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
http://www.tsnhorse.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=partnership

That is the link I used to get started. I'm guessing you probably found it by now.

michiken
01-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Why is it that the tsn and bris sites look identical? Is one a Ford and the other a Mercury? :lol:

Bris did offer me 20% to go exclusive but then they don't like my business model.....

mainardi
01-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Why is it that the tsn and bris sites look identical? Is one a Ford and the other a Mercury? :lol:
It's owned by the same parent company... name escapes me, though. :confused:
Need proof? Here are there addresses:
> BRIS - 801 Corporate Drive, 3rd Floor, Lexington, KY 40503
> TSN - 801 Corporate Drive, Suite 210, Lexington, KY 40503

As far as getting money from data providers, I had to make a choice between picking up a few bucks from them or use the Yahoo! Sponsored Search tool. I decided to go the Yahoo! route first, and I figure that I'm making more money this way... and as CJ said it "Certainly won't lead to an early retirement, but not a bad deal." :ThmbUp:

analyzer
01-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Jeff- Looks like it might be well worth your time to redo your algorithms based on TSN and Procap data, huh? Just thinking out loud.