PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Stakes

abe
01-02-2006, 11:23 AM
As I watch the 2y olds mature and develop through the Fall, I begin to make my tentative list of ones I think could move on the Derby Trail in the Spring. Hundreds start and few survive. I've dropped and added many as the Fall progressed. Many of you may think its crazy to even think about the Derby until April, but for me to find one or two in the Fall that actually make it to the Derby is fun in itself. Some that I've dropped may be re-added, but I'm not afraid to say the ones I'm looking at now. Barbaro, the now horse after the Tropical Park, was not, nor is he now, on my list. I think he will be a great Turfer. If he makes a successful switch to dirt, then "watchout!" Three stakes are to be run this coming weekend. Horses on my watch list that are running are: Count Fleet - Fire One Up and Traveling Leroy; San Miguel - Cousins Lew; Aventura - for some reason several on my list are running here D' Broken Speed, Dixie Swinger, Itsallboutthe chase, Little Cliff, Super Fly, and Tropical Play. I'm not saying that any of these will win, just sharing ones I've felt "could" move on if they show progress this Spring. This is my fun in the Spring. If any have constructive thoughts please share them, and if you just want to ridicule and make fun, well, I've got thick skin.

TravisVOX
01-02-2006, 11:30 AM
POINT OF IMPACT made his career debut at Santa Anita this past weekend. He'll probably be pushed along, but his first start showed a lot of promise.

OTM Al
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
After watching the two 3yo listed stakes this weekend I came away with only 2 distinct impressions:

Count Fleet: Nice job by Achilles of Troy. I was surprised he did not go off with favoritism and enjoyed the rewards of a pretty easy exacta with him. He sat nicely off that hot pace and then blew right by the leaders in the turn in a real no contest reminiscent of the way Smarty blasted that race 2 years ago. I'm certainly not going to rate him in that category yet, but it was a very strong performance both on short rest and going 2 turns for the first time, though I really thought the competiton wasn't that great. He's made the keep your eye on him list.

Aventura: All I got out of this was a negative and that is In Summation is a one turn sprinter and the 1 turn mile was way too long for him right now. Don't care for any coming out of that race.

Looking forward to seeing what California will have to offer next week. They could be strong again this year for the first time in a while