PDA

View Full Version : Sorry but Santos needs to retire!

BIG49010
01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Just watched the 7th at Aqueduct, it was amazing how bad he road Rapid Rickey the favorite. Checked and bounced out slow, rushed up, then beat at the wire. Horse should have won for fun, but the fans know the score, a 35% move for Bruce Levine, who is on fire, and still went off at 5/2!

If your from Chicago, if reminds you of the days of Juvi Diaz.

I didn't bet race, but I feel bad for anybody who did.

I just hope he stays in New York for the winter.:)

46zilzal
01-01-2006, 03:54 PM
"pinched back at the gate" does not sound like jockey error. Animal had NO where to go

Figman
01-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Santos didn't do badly in the finale at AQU when the money was down...a six length winner with a well rated ride!

BIG49010
01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I know he looked like the old master in 9th. Makes you wonder???? Maybe too much New Year's cheer, and he shook it off by the 9th.

the little guy
01-01-2006, 04:27 PM
The horse got shut off at the start in the 7th....not his fault.

Are you suggesting he was hung over for the 7th but fine 50 minutes later for the 9th?

The bottom line is that it was a tough beat in the 7th. Rapid Rickey was miles the best. I wish every horse I bet that was best also paid off. And, believe it or not, it isn't always ( or even usually ) the rider's fault.

BIG49010
01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
I have been his victim so many times, and I can't believe it's all by chance.

Like I said before I hope he spends the winter in New York, then I don't have to worry about him.:D

chrisg
01-01-2006, 10:45 PM
:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Santos was up & employing the strangle hold coming out of the gate; must be a freaking psychic. :rolleyes:

Just for fun, he took him 10 wide; surprised we didn't get his
old gulfstream zigzag.

Congratulations NYRA on employing criminals!

the little guy
01-01-2006, 10:52 PM
The jockeys aren't employed by NYRA....or any racetrack they ride at.

in the green
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Ironic that Santos gets bashed for his ride in this race when he really gave the horse all the chances in the world to win. He was riding a front end router who just doesn't have the gate speed to go to the front. On top of that he got mugged out of the gate. This race was absolutely loaded with speed and Santos had maybe the third quickest horse in the race. All those who bet on Rapid Rickey should just be happy that a superior jockey got there out paced steed to the front at some point in the race.

On top of Santos' score in the ninth did you catch his front end theft in Saturdays 6th? For my money Santos is the best route jockey curretly on the grounds at Aqueduct. Is he as effective at sprinting? No I do not think so.

There is however an aweful ride in this race that has gone unmentioned. #4 bright weekend should have been a much the best winner here. He was on the rail turning for home right behind the leaders when Jockey Mojica decides to angle out for running room that was not there. Horse is full of run at 15-1 but the jock did not want to take the seam up the rail. Mojica checks hard and almost clips heels in his attempt to get outside. While all of this debotchery is going on, the rail opens up and and 28-1 Fast Iz A Turtle steals the rail from Bright Weekend and makes the winning move. Mojica should be shipped back to where he came from.

chrisg
01-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Ironic that Santos gets bashed for his ride in this race when he really gave the horse all the chances in the world to win. He was riding a front end router who just doesn't have the gate speed to go to the front. On top of that he got mugged out of the gate. This race was absolutely loaded with speed and Santos had maybe the third quickest horse in the race. All those who bet on Rapid Rickey should just be happy that a superior jockey got there out paced steed to the front at some point in the race.

He had the strangle hold on coming out of the gate; coincidental that the others collided.

NYRA shouldn't let this manipulator on the grounds.

the little guy
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't really care about riders, and pretty much hate them all, but this guy Mojica is an embarrassment ( with his twin Toups not far behind ).

I actually thought the ever crafty Herb Castillo was the one who botched that ride in the 7th.

keilan
01-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Nice to see someone paying attention, Bright Weekend looked to be the horse to beat at the top of the lane. I never did catch the head on but it looked like Santo’s came over on him just as he was ready to make his run. I had Santo’s charge rated no higher than tied for 4th.

As far as “Fast Iz a Turtle” it once again goes down as another unexplainable NY bred race. Wins his last alw-n1x at 45-1 then comes back today at alw-n2x and wins at what 28-1 or so. Do I think this horse had some help today –you bet I do. Even with the perfect trip this guy is still too slow. If anyone can make an intelligent case for this horse I’d like to hear it.

9th race Santo had the nuts in the race and rated him nicely, tough to screw the race up imo.

the little guy
01-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I made a good bet on Fastizaturtle last time, but certainly gave him no chance today, though I highly doubt Colum O'Brien is getting any " help ". Maybe he just took to today's track.

Let's face it, he benefitted from the afformention trouble Bright Weekend had and obviously Rapid Rickey was miles the best. As for why I liked him last time, he figured to get a big pace and had a major trip in his return race before being run off his feet by the superior Oz.

keilan
01-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Maybe he sprouted wings, maybe his aunts really his uncle or maybe O’Brien has cashed two very large tickets.

Today’s fractions were exactly as I expected and based on what I know about horseracing his chances of winning were slim and nil. As for the earlier win I have no comment as I didn’t cap the race but nice catch.

Hell when I think about it today’s odds at 28-1 would be considered awfully short

in the green
01-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I had this race as tilted towards a late paced runner. I had 2,3,5,7,11 all listed as speedy need the lead types. Melodeeman and Wamp were the two fastest in this race and need the lead Rapid Ricky would surely have to take back. 5 and 11 were outpaced by the top dominate speed but figured to contibute to the top speeds demise. Projected the pace of the race to favor a staulker and I used Bright weekend as the key.

RE: Fast Iz A Turtle I listed him about three lenths slower than Bright Weekend and Mojicas gaff surely cost us the race. Was fast as a Turtle totally out gamed here? I don't think so, wheeling back second off the layoff on the surface he prefers he was not a total toss. He would need a break to get up and he got that break. I considered him as the off the pace key here but decided on Bright weekend due to the faster numbers and Bright Weekendwas coming off a nice race. I don't like playing horses like Fast Iz a Turtle off a win but his great form/pace set up got him to the wire today. Not to redboard but I had Fast Iz A Turtle last @ 45-1 out off another hot pace and he was the only horse entered with mud caulks.

Nice to see someone paying attention, Bright Weekend looked to be the horse to beat at the top of the lane. I never did catch the head on but it looked like Santo’s came over on him just as he was ready to make his run. I had Santo’s charge rated no higher than tied for 4th.

As far as “Fast Iz a Turtle” it once again goes down as another unexplainable NY bred race. Wins his last alw-n1x at 45-1 then comes back today at alw-n2x and wins at what 28-1 or so. Do I think this horse had some help today –you bet I do. Even with the perfect trip this guy is still too slow. If anyone can make an intelligent case for this horse I’d like to hear it.

9th race Santo had the nuts in the race and rated him nicely, tough to screw the race up imo.

keilan
01-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Greens R U Colum O’Brien? ;)

Don’t often see five “need to lead types “in the same race but I’ll move on. There are only two occasions that I will play “late paced runners” for the win spot but today’s race doesn’t meet the criteria. The fractions of 22.3 - 46.1 – 1:12.0 were honest (I had projected 46.0 2nd call) and didn’t imo opinion favor late runners. Correct me if I’m wrong but today’s track ran a tad fast above zero adjustment.

Sorry if my posts sound like sour grapes but that isn’t my intent, if there is something to learn here I’ll certainly listen. Did you play the p4 because if you had this race the other races wouldn't have required you to go too deep, in the other legs?

Welcome to the board, you’ll like it here. Congrats on the 45-1 score

46zilzal
01-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Agree AT MOST there were TWO earlier types but only 7 came close to NEED to lead. Number 2's last several were P, E/P S/P E/P E and E/P...... hardly NEED TO LEAD. #5 Special Jet's last several were E/P P E E/P E/P and E/P

toetoe
01-02-2006, 02:24 AM
All the love for Rapid Rickey is flattering. I LOVED that horse.
Figman, a correction: when the pick-four money was GONE, JSan won easily. :D
No bias here, but I suggest we consider the possibility that 4 was not full of run. It's possible that, even though the rider did his Don MacBeth/Pat Valenzuela "standup routine," the horse was merely grinding. Just a possibility.
Except for the fact that he took RR wide, I was pleasantly surprised that Jose urged him into the race. I was just looking for the patented Full Nelson right behind the leaders at the rail.
Is there another sport like this one? If Manny Ramirez almost kills himself trying to catch a line drive, the fans want to kill him, or laugh, for about a minute. We could write a fat book about our "favorite" riders. "Hold Your Horses ... A Compendium Of Equestrian Malpractice, From Mel Lewis To Hugo Dittfach To Jose Santos."

Valuist
01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
A Juvenal Diaz reference.....forgot about him. Diaz was very good......WHEN he wanted to be. I remember hearing the expression the horse got "Juvied" out of the gate in reference to a favorite getting bounced around or breaking 3 lengths behind the field. Supposedly he's got a farm in Ocala now. Thought he was going to become a trainer.

BIG49010
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Diaz is a big time pinhooker, he has an eye for young horses. He picked out Glitter Woman a few years back. I think Reavis wins alot more races since he retired!

Valuist
01-04-2006, 11:54 AM
A couple years ago, Reavis said Diaz would beat everyone in Chicago (Catalano included) if he decided to train. I guess he's happy as a pinhooker. My old rule on Juvie: avoid him at under 5-2 but if he was on a "sleeper", watch out.