PDA

View Full Version : Mock draft opinions?

Bubbles
12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
So here's how it goes down in the NFL. If Houston loses, they get the #1 pick in April. If they win, they get thrown into a playoff of sorts with San Fran, Green Bay, New Orleans, and the Jets. Naturally, everyone in the world is saying that the Texans should be focused on getting Reggie Bush if they get the #1 pick. I, on the other hand, see differently.

I expect a lot of heat for this, but in my eyes, the Texans do not, I repeat, do NOT, need Reggie Bush. Look at the stats Domanick Davis has put up despite a few injuries over the last few years. Give him an o-line to run behind, and he's a franchise back that can go places. Why replace him?

Instead, I believe the Texans should go for the best offensive lineman in the draft. Right now, it's Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He's a left tackle, which is traditionally where the best o-lineman is, and, if he's used properly, he can help the offense make plays. Give David Carr time to throw (read: Use the gun often) to a quality receiver like Andre Johnson, and give Davis some blocking to open holes, and there may be hope for a solid, efficient offense.

In the meantime, here are, in my eyes, the smartest picks for the remaining lackluster teams to make in April...

San Francisco: Reggie Bush. HERE is where Bush is needed. Kevan Barlow is no #1 back. Smith should mature between his first and second seasons, and Lloyd isn't a bad receiver. Good potential on the offensive side of the ball.

Green Bay: If I was the Green Bay GM, I might make a blockbuster move in the offseason to trade their pick for a defensive standout. In that backfield are two very solid running backs (Green and Gado), including one and their pick in a deal might eliminate the logjam. They simply had no luck this year. Give Favre a supporting cast that isn't hurt, and this team is most definitely NOT 3-12 right now.

New Orleans: Matt Leinart. Brooks is way too inconsistent. The receivers, Horn and Stallworth, are there, they just need a solid QB to get them the ball. Leinart is it. Along with a healthy McAllister, the Saints could possess a formidable offense come September.

New York: LenDale White or Reggie Bush. Bush is the optimal pick here, obviously, but White will work nicely as well. Martin is probably close to done as a primary running back, and needs to groom the next Jet RB. White is a hoss, and he'll do a lot of positive work for whoever drafts him.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Oakland Raiders (4-11, vs. Giants this week): Vince Young. When you have LaMont Jordan and Randy Moss on your offense, you shouldn't be 4-11. Time for a change under center.

Tennessee (4-11, at Jaguars this week): Any wide receiver at or near the top of the board. Drew Bennett is not a #1 receiver. McNair and Volek can make the big plays, and Chris Brown's not a terrible back. A big-play wideout will aid the Titans tremendously.

How does everyone else see this draft crop coming up?

Valuist
12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
I think the Texans will beat the Niners and the Niners will end up getting Reggie Bush. They just drafted a QB number one last year so they won't take Leinart. Houston, if they do lose, will probably trade downward. Green Bay? I think they'll take a RB, after Green, Davenport and Gado all suffered major injuries. I think the kid from Memphis will be the second back taken.

toetoe
12-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Bubs,

How about throwing Favre in WITH the pick, and really getting some bodies for an overhaul?

Valuist
01-01-2006, 10:50 AM
As for fantasy league drafts, here's how I have the top skill position players rated:

RB-1. Alexander 2. Tomlinson 3. T. Barber 4. L. Johnson 5. E. James
QB-1. Manning 2. Palmer 3. McNabb 4. Breese 5. Brady
WR-1. C. Johnson 2. S. Smith 3. T Owens 4. Holt 5. Fitzgerald
TE- 1. Gates 2. Gonzalez 3. Witten 4. Shockey 5. Crumpler

SAL
01-01-2006, 11:17 AM
As a lifelong 49er fan, I hope that the Niners DON'T pick Reggie Bush. I have my doubts about whether he will be a successful NFL back. He (as well as Leinart) have the benefit of playing behind an outstanding O line at USC. He'll be running (for his life) behind an inferior line against faster defensive players in the NFL.

While it's important to have good people at the skill postitions, I'm a firm believer that a good O line can make up for shortcomings in that department. So I think that SF should trade their 1st round pick for more picks and start rebuilding that woeful offensive line.

chickenhead
01-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Amen SAL, EXACTLY. Though what the Niners need most are new owners. Bring back Eddie D!