PDA

View Full Version : New Microsoft security threat

so.cal.fan
12-30-2005, 01:43 PM
JR!!!!!!!!!
Microsoft scrambles to fix 'severe' security flaw
Previously unknown flaw leaves PCs vulnerable to spyware, viruses

I have that good Virus protection and spyware protection, Ralph......am I safe?.....don't know if I can upgrade their patch.......if and when they come up with it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :eek:

46zilzal
12-30-2005, 01:47 PM
My wife teaches computer technology and these "holes" were programmed into Microsoft products in order to check on users to see if they had licenses to use their software and now it has come back to bite them in the but as hackers discovered these vulnerabilities.

DJofSD
12-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Which alert? (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/default.mspx)

"...is it safe?...." -- sounds like a Dustin Hoffman line....

DJofSD
12-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Those so called holes are the direct result of MicroSoft not adapting a better, i.e. more rigorous, security posture early in the development of the so called NT architechure. That coupled with the desire to have complete interoperability has left then playing catch up. Kind of like closing the barn door after the horses have already gotten out.

GaryG
12-30-2005, 02:18 PM
SoCal, the following has always kept me "protected". I use Windows XP
Best
Gary
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

JustRalph
12-30-2005, 02:39 PM
I would recommend an alternate browser (FireFox? ) and don't visit any new websites until a patch comes out. This thing can be nasty..........my phone has been ringing off the hook today..............

SoCal..........stay away from any new sites ..........cross your fingers

PaceAdvantage
12-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Exactly what "thing" are we talking about here?

JustRalph
12-30-2005, 06:52 PM
http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/37850-1.html

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=17&art_id=8876&sid=6082673&con_type=1

see the links

Achilles
12-30-2005, 07:45 PM
The Links that Just Ralph identified describe pretty muchwhat happened to my computer. My friendly repairman Frank Li of PC Corner Inc in Webster, NY (free plug, much deserved) said he'd never seen anything like it. I mentioned it on another thread where I suspected that AOL was not doing a good job of protecting my computer, but it looks like they were not at fault as much as MS. I won't be shopping at any new sites for a while. I'd like to use Firefox as my permanent browser, but I have not yet figured out how to do some things with it that I can do using IE, e.g. exporting CJ's figs (the summary figs that are like his free ones) to Excel. Oh well, it'll all work out OK as it usually does in the end.

On another note, thanks to this forum, I just re-connected with an old handicapping buddy named Tom. Anybody here know him? He's kind of shy and retiring and not very opinionated, but if you take the time and make the effort, you can sometimes pull him out of his shell and he'll offer up a subtle response to an innocent question.:lol: ;)

Happy New Year to one and all

DJofSD
12-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Alert 912840. See my link to the MS web page above.

Tom
12-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Quite a surprise today, hooking up with an old track buddy, Achilles.
Obviously, I have changed a bit since we last talked in 1999! :D

Red Knave
12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
I just re-connected with an old handicapping buddy named Tom ... He's kind of shy and retiring and not very opinionated ... he'll offer up a subtle response to an innocent question.
Nope, nobody like that on this board :D :eek: :liar: ;)

Tom
12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Microsoft update - today, they disccoverd an operating system hidden inside their bundle of security leaks.

Achilles
12-31-2005, 09:55 PM
I visited the JCapper board a few minutes ago, and read the thread on rebates that Jeff posted. I looked at the response that was posted right after Jeff's initial post, and clicked on its link. It turned out to be a website devoted to saws (Sorry for the lack of detail; I only glanced at it before leaving it.) Based on the ordeal I just went thru with the new MS infections, I suggest you stay away from it. I don't have Jeff's e-mail address or I would have told him about it.

Happy New Year

Tom
01-01-2006, 01:02 PM
New OS coming out to replace these old, outdated suystems - formerly called Longhorn, but they changed that when it got so far behind people started calling it Longwait!

It is called......VISTA

Short for:

Viruses
Instability
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

michiken
01-01-2006, 08:08 PM
For all the times I see these exploits happen...

Why don't some of you consider installing a dual boot system with a Linux Operating System on one partition and 'Winblows' on another? You can only run windows when you specifically need a m$ based product such as Autocad.

You can even try out many FREE Linux distributions by burning a Live CD. All you have to do is reset the bios to set the CD as the 1st boot device and you can be running Linux in a contained environment WITHOUT having to install it to your hard drive. This way you can give it a test drive.

Here are two Linux Live CD Links for the brave:

Slax Linux Live CD (http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php)
Ubuntu Linux Live CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/)

1. Download the .iso file and save it to disk. It is a large file and will fill up one entire CD. The download will take a long time depending on your internet speed. Broadband is reccommended.

2. Start your CD burning software and burn the ISO to disk. Leave it in the CD Bay and restart your computer.

3. As your computer reboots, you can watch the screen. Usually if you hit the DEL or ESC key, you can go into the bios configuration.

4. Once in the bios configuration menu, it will look like an old DOS based screen. Search thru the options and look for boot order. Normally the Floppy will be listed as the 1st boot device. Work with the Bios config software until the 1st boot device is changed to be the CD. Exit the program and save this configuration.

5. Your computer will reboot and then read the Linux Live CD. Folllow the instructions.

6. Linux comes with tons of free software. You can browse, IM email and more.

You can view more complete Live CD Burning Instructions here (http://slax.linux-live.org/documentation.php)

There are literally hundreds of free Linux distrubutions that you could use. A good site to see is distrowatch.com (http://distrowatch.com/)

Do it on Monday or Tuesdays when most tracks are dark....

Tom
01-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks, Ken.....will give it a shot.

Jeff P
01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
A word of warning
I visited the JCapper board a few minutes ago, and read the thread on rebates that Jeff posted. I looked at the response that was posted right after Jeff's initial post, and clicked on its link. It turned out to be a website devoted to saws (Sorry for the lack of detail; I only glanced at it before leaving it.) Based on the ordeal I just went thru with the new MS infections, I suggest you stay away from it. I don't have Jeff's e-mail address or I would have told him about it.

Happy New Year

The idiot who keeps posting annoying links on my message board like the one described is really pissing me off. Whoever is doing this is doing it WITHOUT my permission. I have been deleting the posts whenever I see them. Next post like it on my board is going to result in that user's IP Address being blocked from ever posting on my board again.

-jp

Tom
01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
In typical fashion, MS will not release a patch for its latest security htreat until the 10th. Apparently Billy is too busy counting his money to actually be fixing his swiss cheese OS.

BG as Man of the Year? Time is funnier than Mad Magazine.

JustRalph
01-04-2006, 12:58 AM
In typical fashion, MS will not release a patch for its latest security htreat until the 10th. Apparently Billy is too busy counting his money to actually be fixing his swiss cheese OS.

BG as Man of the Year? Time is funnier than Mad Magazine.

The hackers announced that a new security hole will be found in a weeek and a day!

NoDayJob
01-04-2006, 01:33 AM
BG is Maroon of the year. MS is Mega Squat. IE is Internet Excrement. Nuff said.

DJofSD
01-07-2006, 10:11 AM
The fix has been posted.

Tom
01-07-2006, 10:31 AM
The fix has been posted.

Now, what NEW problems will the "fix" bring us????:bang: