PDA

View Full Version : How many tracks do you play at same time?

BIG49010
12-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Just wondered how many tracks many of you play on an average day?

I just play one, except when Gulfstream and Keeneland overlap, and the same thing in the fall when Belmont and Keeneland overlap?

Lefty
12-30-2005, 11:45 AM
3,4. That's the big advantage of software.

sjk
12-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Up to 10 or 12 on a weekend in the summer. Gets pretty hectic at times.

BIG RED
12-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I cap whatever is in my drf paper, which can be up to 6. Then I wait to see the track conditions which dictates how many.

xfile
12-30-2005, 12:36 PM
For me it depends what meet(s) is current. The meets I play are Aqueduct-Belmont-Saratoga, Keeneland-Churchill, Tampa-Gulfstream and Oaklawn. So right now just 2 tracks but that will soon be 4 tracks starting January. :cool:

Lucky Maria
12-30-2005, 03:34 PM
I play anywhere from 4 to 8 tracks but I don't play any maiden races so by the time I cross those out there is less to contend with than it sounds.

LM

FUGITIVE77
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Play one track, one circuit. Everybody is invited to join me in my home pool.

BIG49010
12-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I know the computer helps handicap, but more than 2 or 3 must be wild!

I just get bored watching one track, but it is too much work to do more than that even with the computer.

Thanks for your input.

dav4463
12-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Three is a stretch. I prefer playing two.

GaryG
12-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Two is the most I can handle at one time. I watch all the races that I can and keep detailed trip notes and bias info. For me, any more would just make it a numbers game. I prefer medium grade tracks and and am now playing Tampa and the FG meet. I am about the same type of player as TD I think, basically the old fashioned way but with modern pace figures.

BEST OF LUCK IN THE NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Nickle
12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
1 per time slot, meaning when the card is over I might take a look at another. There is no way to bet more without making mistakes and overlooking things IMO.

46zilzal
12-31-2005, 01:39 PM
you start making big mistakes above TWO at a time

cj
12-31-2005, 01:43 PM
you start making big mistakes above TWO at a time

Huh? Shouldn't that say "I" and not "you". Don't judge others based on what you can or cannot do.

46zilzal
12-31-2005, 01:54 PM
that is a generic YOU ...Not like you to be nitpicker

cj
12-31-2005, 01:58 PM
that is a generic YOU ...Not like you to be nitpicker

How do you know? It is a foolish statement. Many guys handicap several tracks before the races are even run, and create an odds line. Then it is just a matter of shopping for price. You could probably do many, many tracks like this if you have done your homework ahead of time.

What does "generic YOU" mean? Some, most, I, something like that, maybe. You implied everyone reading your post as I understood it.

46zilzal
12-31-2005, 02:06 PM
stayed up too late did you?? Forget it Just because that happened to FOLLOW a fellow who said mistakes could be made, that ENTIRE statement meant ME.....I make mistakes NO ONE else CLEAR ENOUGH???

cj
12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
stayed up too late did you?? Forget it Just because that happened to FOLLOW a fellow who said mistakes could be made, that ENTIRE statement meant ME.....I make mistakes NO ONE else CLEAR ENOUGH???

I make plenty mistakes as do others, so no, still not clear. :)

46zilzal
12-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Happy New Year.....English is what it is and nothing more

BIG RED
12-31-2005, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=cj]How do you know? It is a foolish statement. Many guys handicap several tracks before the races are even run, and create an odds line. Then it is just a matter of shopping for price. You could probably do many, many tracks like this if you have done your homework ahead of time.

This is what I meant. I do not bet every race, but I do cap every track. Then the next day, I cap at night, I'm ready for bear. Simple if you ask me.

Lefty
12-31-2005, 07:23 PM
I can comfortably look at 3-4 trks using 2 prgms.

kitts
01-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Twenty posts, thirteen on topic. I don't comment on this too often but going off topic is what makes some of these threads tedious

PaceAdvantage
01-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Good point Kitts. I will make it my New Year's Resolution to be much more proactive in keeping threads on topic.

TRM
01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
With computer help playing 4 at one time for me is about the max. However, on occasion, I will run 8 or more, and shop for spot plays.

RaceIsClosed
01-01-2006, 07:29 PM
I can handle up to about six tracks at a time if I've handicapped before racing begins, otherwise I do a "hurry up offense" style and track three to five.

Oddly, my results don't seem to be better or worse with either approach, whether or not I make a formal odds line.

Kitan
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Too many LOL.

Anywhere from 1-5.

Valuist
01-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Three for me and now that Haw is over, it will only be GP and TP until OP starts. It took about 5 years to fully add the third circuit. Just don't have the time (or inclination) to add a 4th track.

hurrikane
01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
every track every day.

But you may not call what I do handicapping.

LoveTheDouble
01-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

I look at the SoCal races only because I can play the rolling doubles. Generally I look to wager on no more than 2-3 of these bets on a daily basis.

Been lurking for some time and have to say that I have found this to be a great site.

Have a happy (and profitable) New Year.

LTD

kingfin66
01-03-2006, 03:59 PM
LuvTheDouble,

How dare you come onto Pace Advantage without first announcing your presence with authority! Just kidding. Welcome to Pace Advantage. It is a great site.

Happy New Year to you too.

shanta
01-03-2006, 04:06 PM

I just play one, except when Gulfstream and Keeneland overlap, and the same thing in the fall when Belmont and Keeneland overlap?

One at a time two in a day

Richie

classhandicapper
01-03-2006, 06:44 PM

All else being equal, the fewer tracks you play the higher the quality of your handicapping will be. It's time consuming to look at result charts, watch replays, look up bias information, detailed trainer stats, speed and pace figures from multiple sources etc... for multiple races for multiple contenders in a race so you actually understand the horse's PPs and the issues.

I can do a comprehensive job for two tracks, but I like to split it between NY and CA if I am going to do it at all so it doesn't get too hectic.

The reality is that some people play tons of tracks profitably, but they can't possibly be doing as comprehensive a job and almost have to be misunderstanding or not be aware of a lot of what's impacting the odds from time to time.

JohnGalt1
01-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I play 2 to 3 tracks a day once a week. I bet about half the races. I download from Bris a handicap afternoons and early evenings the two days before I go.

I usually only go a couple of times a month in the winter for a break.

dav4463
01-04-2006, 05:02 AM
every track every day.

But you may not call what I do handicapping.

How do you handicap that many tracks? What is your methodology?

mainardi
01-14-2006, 02:28 AM

It fluctuates with what HRTV and TVG offer up on DISH Network.

Most of the time, I could play as many as 10 tracks a day. This is possible because [1] I use software to do the number crunching (I still do the final handicapping from the PPs) and [2] I'm VERY selective (only a few races at each track). Sounds like about 15 to 20 races... but it never works out that way!

Things that reduce the number of races to somewhere between 3 and 6 a day:
1. lousy weather - mostly rain, but I also pass when the temperature is 40 or lower
2. lousy horses - in the form of too many contenders to hone in on a good play
3. lousy odds - I don't go below 5/2 if I can help it, but late money sometimes drops below that threshold
4. my family - a wife and teenage daughter DO require a cetain amount of attention ;)

maxwell
01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I got bored playing the crappy maiden races out west so I now also play the crappy maiden races in New Yaaaark. :D

Since I only play sprints on the dirt, I needed more action than SoCal could provide. It's so easy to lose your focus when something becomes a drag.

The addition has perked me up ... so far so good.

Sailwolf
01-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Three is a stretch. I prefer playing two.

I would agree. I like to know the track nuances. But I hate North CA because Blaze and Hollendofer win almost everthing. (Oh well, wait and watch)

Since on West Coast time, other tracks are too early. 9 or 10am is too early. No major tracks on mountain time.

Kitts, am I on topic?

valueguy
01-18-2006, 05:27 PM
The number of tracks i play depends entirely wether or not i am using a software program, paper & pencil or spot plays .If i am at a sports book
i may play all of the tracks being simucast . I just look at all the favorites on the boards and if i spot one that is under 8/5 in a field of 8 or more .I check the PP,s to see if its TOGTBT(Too good to be true)If i think it is (usally class drop with form problems ) then i look for somethiing that can beat it(usually 2 or 3 rd choice) . If you can determine wether or not you have a FF or a VF
then the other contenders are overlays.

FWIW

Pick 3- King
01-18-2006, 08:27 PM
what software

canadadry
01-19-2006, 08:39 AM
An old handicapping book I have from the 60's says: "You can beat a race, but
you can't beat the races." . And, goes on to say to be selective in picking the races that are playable on a day's card for a particular track.
If I cannot find a winner at Gulfstream, then I am looking at the Aqueduct card or the Laurel card. Maybe I will get 3 or 4 plays a day or more. But, the
important thing to remember is to be selective.
Think of it like the stock market. Do you buy IBM or GE just because it's there? No, you wait for your best opportunity to get shares at a low and sell at a high.
And most importantly, always know your win percentage (margin) and your risk.

valueguy
01-19-2006, 12:09 PM
I use a couple of programs.
CJ,s Pacefigure program.
And parts of Joe Minardi,s Hor$ense.

CJ,s program outstanding when it comes to form and competitive ability of a horse. But you have to learn what patterns are most effective.
Joe,s program has a good speed component and a fairly accurate summary
of different handicapping factors.

EmpowerISV
01-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Interesting thread,

I generally try to look after 10 tracks at once and that still gives me time to drink piss like now.

I only do video analysis on 5-6.5f races and that is it.

Why you may ask do I only concentrate on 5-6.5f. Ask me personally and I willl tell you but to a wide audience it gives and edge away which we all look for.

Here are my speed specails for Thursday racing. Watch them win then tell me your thoughts,after that we can delve further into the physics associaiated.!!!!!

Reddy for Rubys (# 3, 5/1) is entered at Aqueduct on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 5. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=AQU&date=2006-01-19&race=5)

Your Notes: 30/12/2005 - sat 3 wide early first 2f in 3 horse speed battle after coming from outside alley, horse between took sit, went 2 clear with one other inside it into bend, 3l clear with other inside top of stretch and ridden, finally got upper hand of one inside it after ding doing deul down stretch, held 3l margin on rest to the line, high merit after fast early tempo.

Frolic for Joy (# 1, 5/1) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 1. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=1)

Your Notes: 24/12/2005 - settled well back 2nd last early 8l from leaders, came widest on turn, let down 1.5f out, got to front 50m to go and went away to win easy, leaders finished 2nd and 3rd, only one to make ground, strong closing par, can win over further than 6.5f trip encountered here.

Designing Miss (# 7, 12/1) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 2. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=2)

Your Notes: 26/12/2005 - sat 3rd and 4th early 2l off the pace, rounded up leader with good mid race pars around the turn, led upon straightening and kicked away to put 4-5l on them quickly, held margin to the line, bound for better.

Filly Idol (# 2, 6/1) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 2. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=2)

Your Notes: 31/12/2005 - led with 2 others outside it early at a fast pace, got clear on own by 1l entering bend still fast pace, good turn of foot upon straightening to go 3l clear by 1f marker, extended that to 4.5l margin on the line.

La Roverina (# 6, 4/1) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 2. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=2)

Your Notes: 27/12/2005 - shered 3 way lead on rail to turn, other 2 slipped away from it, looked beat, came again between horses to win on the wire, demoted to 2nd, high merit and game win.

Judith's Roy (# 1, 4/1) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 3. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=3)

Your Notes: 1/1/2006 - was middle runner in 3 horse speed battle through 1st furlong showing good accelaration from the gates after an even jump, it and one outside started to drop off inside co leader when pressing putting extra pace into the race going into the turn, shot 1l clear of co leader entering stretch as it dropped off, closer came midstretch, they shot 5l clear of the rest, looked beat 50m from home, battled back game on line to just miss in head bobber.

Stetter Jr (# 5, 9/5) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 4. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=4)

Your Notes: 30/12/2005 - co leader with 2 others early and got rail in fast pace, 5l to 4th after 1.5f, dropped off one of co leaders mid bend, other co leader 2 out kept challenging, dropped it off mid stretch, kept finding to line to win by 2l over late closer after dropping other 2 leaders in high pressure race, good merit. no further.

Very Formal M. D. (# 8, 5/2) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 5. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=5)

Your Notes: 4/1/2006 - jumped very well to be solo leader by 1l after 1f, extended margin to 2l entering turn, others after 3rd well back chasing off the bit half way round bend, got 3 lengths clear top of stretch, one with softer run got it late as it kept pulling away from balance, in end 2nd btn 0.7l, good 7-8l margin back to 3rd, wins next start.

Copewiththegeneral (#10, 10/1) is entered at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 10. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=GP&date=2006-01-19&race=10)

Your Notes: 30/12/2005 - sat 2l from leader 4 wide early on fast pace, came 3 wide on bend to challenge entering stretch, got leader 1.5f from home shifting in under pressure, strraightened and got away to win by 1.5l with decent margins back through field, merit in wide trip and late turn of foot to get clear.

Celtic Way (# 1, 6/1) is entered at Santa Anita Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 5. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=SA&date=2006-01-19&race=5)

Your Notes: 5/1/2006 - jumped with 3 other co leaders to be in 4 way speed battle early 4 wide, same into turn, kicked 1l clear of other leader mid turn still 4 wide, same margin upon straightening, turn of foot to get 2l clear into stretch, held margin on 2nd to the line with closers coming late for 3rd, eventual 2l*2l winner on the line, margins not great but had hardest trip and still held them in the stretch after showing a kick, high merit.

Midnite Moonshine (#10, 8/1) is entered at Santa Anita Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 6. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=SA&date=2006-01-19&race=6)

Your Notes: 2/1/2006 - set fast initial pace to lead by 3l early by itself, kept going and straightened 7l infront with chasers off the bit going nowhere, one came from pack but held on to win easily by 5l with a further 10+l to 3rd, brained them with sustained speed, better than these, this was 6.5f, just as effective over 6f.

Royal Cup (# 4, 1/1) is entered at Turfway Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 6. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=TP&date=2006-01-19&race=6)

Your Notes: 31/12/2005 - ok gate speed to take trail behind leaders solid tempo to turn, one off fence into turn in 4th still 2l from leaders, 3 wide late on bend to go to front before straightening, 2l clear upon straightening, put 5l on them by midstretch, superior turn of foot, entended margin to line to win by 7l, had favours in run but clearly better than these.

I Thought U Knew (# 7, 8/1) is entered at Turfway Park on Thursday, January 19th, 2006 in Race 7. - View Entries (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=int&country=USA&track=TP&date=2006-01-19&race=7)

Your Notes: 8/1/2006 - settled 2nd last 11l from leaders through early stages, still 12l down into bend, was 7l down as widest runner upon straightening, leaders kept going, flashed late down outside two to their one to win by 1l, superior closing par, only one to make up ground. This was 6.5f capable of winning over further.

EmpowerISV
01-19-2006, 01:04 PM
ive just read this mindane thread again and the views posted, let me catergirically say "pace pressure equals gold", that is all that matters, learn how to read videos and understand MERIT and you will live a long and happy life.

PS. dont let the missus spemd it, trade her in on a younger faster model,ive done that many times over and now she goes better than sharapova!!!!!