PDA

View Full Version : Second-Lasix

Doc
12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't know whether this topic has been discussed here before, but I was curious if any of you find second-Lasix to be a good handicapping angle, and why. I know that getting Lasix for the first time is a very playable angle, but sometimes second-Lasix is just as potent, for reasons that mystify me. Any input would be appreciated.

JohnGalt1
12-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I make a notation of it, but it's not a primary factor. If done on horse I like it's a plus. If I like 2 horses I usually bet both to win if odds are high enough, 60% on my top choice and 40% on my second choice. Second lasix can make one of the two equal horses my 60% bet.

Dan Montilion
12-28-2005, 06:22 PM
I've always felt that the power of second time lasix comes when lasix was added under the wrong (for the horse) circumstances. In these situations the mutuel impact of first lasix is lost when run back under the correct (for the horse) situation.

Dan Montilion

maxwell
12-29-2005, 05:15 PM
If a hoss is a plodder early in it's races ( first 1/2 mile ), lasix won't mean much. But if it's a rocket that burns out on a dime, first lasix could be the ticket. Dunno about the 2nd. lasix angle.

tholl
12-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't know whether this topic has been discussed here before, but I was curious if any of you find second-Lasix to be a good handicapping angle, and why. I know that getting Lasix for the first time is a very playable angle, but sometimes second-Lasix is just as potent, for reasons that mystify me. Any input would be appreciated.

When horses bleed badly it hurts. Therefore when they race after they bleed they expect to hurt so they naturally pack it in before the hurting starts. Sometimes it may take a race or two on lasix for the horse to figure out they are not going to be in pain if they keep running hard. Many patient trainers will work a horse on lasix one, two or three times or more before running the horse in a race, and these are the ones that will win first time back (with lasix) after bleeding.

BIG49010
12-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I think the Lasix ship sailed 10 years ago, I find the good trainers put a two year old on lasix for his first start, and most older horses are on lasix. You will find very few plays 1, 2, 3 or 4 lasix in my opinion, I can check my database if you would like.

OpenDaGate
12-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I think the Lasix ship sailed 10 years ago, I find the good trainers put a two year old on lasix for his first start, and most older horses are on lasix. You will find very few plays 1, 2, 3 or 4 lasix in my opinion, I can check my database if you would like.

Hi Big,

Please run a query on this. I think a lot of folks would appreciate the effort.

RKic

speedking
01-04-2006, 12:43 AM
I remember a Joe Takach publication that listed trainers who were profitable with 2nd time lasix horses, but I don't think the sample size impressed me. These days I don't pay much attention unless the horse had trouble in the last race or is a sprinter sent long with 1st time lasix, tired and is now shortening up again. My favorite lasix angle is still a MSW dropping into a CLM after showing speed and tiring, now getting first time juice. Blinkers are a welcome bonus. Farther back the finish in the MSW affair, the better.

Maybe Turfday could check out trainers with second time lasix entries.

speedking

RaceIsClosed
01-04-2006, 12:45 AM

Maybe the trainer stiffed the horse with first-lasix so you wouldn't bet him the next time?

toetoe
01-04-2006, 01:18 AM
You guys really had me confused, so I took off my nasal strip, and now it's crystal clear. :D