PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes in the breeding shed.....

Tom
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Excellent feature on HBO's Real Sports this week - horse breeding. They spotlight Stormcat. No handicapping value, but just plain interesting. They make the mare wear padded boots as "protection" for the stud, if you get my drift! :eek:
And ole Stormcat - he is a true "speed horse!" :D

GaryG
12-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I bred some horses in CA in the 70s and one of the stallions I loved was Olympiad King. The old gray horse had a bad back and needed to have a mound built up so he wouldn't strain his back. Tom, are you sure you didn't just watch SC to get a cheap thrill? :eek:

arkansasman
12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Some years ago when I worked for a trainer and lived in Lexington, my friends and I would go to the farms in the afternoons when we were off work. Here are some memories that comes back to me from that spring.

Secretariat and Drone hated each other. (Their paddocks were right across from each others.)

Mr. Prospector would be ready to go when he turned the corner headed for the breeding shed.

Private Account was a marathon man as he took a long time to finish. Also, Private Account had to wear a girth with wire brushes on his belly to keep him from self indulgence. Private Account could not wear a penis ring, because it irritated him.(lol)

Spectacular Bid had to wear a penis ring because of his self indulgence.

Danzig would try to savage you unless he was coming to the Breeding shed.

Devils Bag was a perfect gentleman.

Drone was literally "hung like a horse"

Seattle Slew was a "chicken ____" in the breeding shed

I just thought I would share those memories with you all.

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't know whether to laugh, cringe, or thank you for the inside info....lol

OK, I'll thank you!

Thanks! :lol:

46zilzal
12-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Bid was a nasty one the two times I visted him, but what a beauty running in his paddock. Bid was across the HALL from Secretariat in 85 and 88 when I was there.

Big Red would do tricks for peppermints (pawing the ground repeatedly until he got one)

46zilzal
12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
The graveyards are really astounding at many of the farms. Like having a Who's Who right in front of you. Claiborne's and Calumet were the notables in that regard.

DrugSalvastore
12-28-2005, 06:53 PM
What is very remarkable---is that, to the best of my knowledge, Storm Cat has only sired two Eclipse Award winners in his very long and distinguished stud career.

They are: Storm Flag Flying (2yo filly champ of '02) and Sweet Catomine (2yo filly champ of '04)

Never had a male win an eclipse award!

I'm sure a lot of you guys are thinking I forgot about Sharp Cat. Amazingly, Sharp Cat never won an Eclipse. She was beat out of the title three different years.