PDA

View Full Version : Ten cops and a three inch knife

twindouble
12-27-2005, 08:54 PM
A buddy of mine just told me, 10 cops in "New Orleans" couldn't take down one guy with a 3 inch knife so they shot him eight or nine times. Haven't caught it on the news yet, is it true?:eek:

lsbets
12-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I saw the video. It ends well before the shooting. In the video, the cops are around the guy but not near him and he's walking away from them. The news said after the video ended they pepper sprayed him and he wiped his face and lunged at one of the cops.

I have a friend who lives in NO until the 1st of the year. He and his wife are moving because he says violent crime is out of control. He's had two attempted carjackings and had someone break into his house while his wife was home since Katrina. He's had enough, he says the city is not safe for a family.

twindouble
12-27-2005, 10:40 PM
I saw the video. It ends well before the shooting. In the video, the cops are around the guy but not near him and he's walking away from them. The news said after the video ended they pepper sprayed him and he wiped his face and lunged at one of the cops.

I have a friend who lives in NO until the 1st of the year. He and his wife are moving because he says violent crime is out of control. He's had two attempted carjackings and had someone break into his house while his wife was home since Katrina. He's had enough, he says the city is not safe for a family.

They have clubs, bullet proof vests and they shoot the poor sucker. 10 cops unbelievable!! I would fire the suckers. If the guy pulled out a gun or had a machetti well, shoot the sucker but a three inch knife? What a joke!

lsbets
12-27-2005, 11:09 PM
From what the video shows I would agree with you, but the question is what really happenned next. If indeed he lunged at a cop with a knife after being pepper sprayed, regardless of the size of the knife, he attempted to assault an officer with a deadly weapon and the officers would have been justified to use deadly force to eliminate the threat, even if they had other measures of force available to them. However, given what we have seen of the NOPD recently, I have serious questions about their accounts of anything.

twindouble
12-27-2005, 11:16 PM
From what the video shows I would agree with you, but the question is what really happenned next. If indeed he lunged at a cop with a knife after being pepper sprayed, regardless of the size of the knife, he attempted to assault an officer with a deadly weapon and the officers would have been justified to use deadly force to eliminate the threat, even if they had other measures of force available to them. However, given what we have seen of the NOPD recently, I have serious questions about their accounts of anything.

I see where your coming from but dam, 10 cops pepper spray or not should have been able to stuff that knife up his butt if they wanted act like men. It's shoot and ask questions after or beat them to death if they are unarmed when it comes to that police force.

lsbets
12-27-2005, 11:26 PM
The NOPD is out of control, and while I have no law enforcement experience, let me give you a pretty common situation we faced in Iraq. Everyone in Iraq is allowed to own one AK-47 for home protection (they have better gun rights than we do). They are supposed to keep them in their homes, but some guys end up carrying them. Someone comes walking down the street with an AK in his hands. Its pointed down and is not in a "ready" position. At that point my soldiers were trained to go to a "low ready" and make it obvious that we were watching the guy - both through verbal and non verbal actions. As long as he continued maintaining his weapon in a non-threatening position he was fine. However, the second that rifle came up to what might be a threatening position any soldier who perceived a threat had the go to engage the target with deadly force.

Its quite often a judgement call, and making the right call depends on two factors - experience and training. There is no substitute for experience, but outstanding training and constant rehearsals that reinforce tough standards can make it natural for someone to make the right call when placed in a tough spot where you have seconds to make a life and death decision. How good has the training in NO been? I have no idea, but AWOL officers during a crisis, the senseless beating of that guy that was caught on video, and the parts of the video that I saw for this shooting make me believe that there is no leadership or standards on that force, and that too many officers there are nothing but thugs.

twindouble
12-27-2005, 11:48 PM
The NOPD is out of control, and while I have no law enforcement experience, let me give you a pretty common situation we faced in Iraq. Everyone in Iraq is allowed to own one AK-47 for home protection (they have better gun rights than we do). They are supposed to keep them in their homes, but some guys end up carrying them. Someone comes walking down the street with an AK in his hands. Its pointed down and is not in a "ready" position. At that point my soldiers were trained to go to a "low ready" and make it obvious that we were watching the guy - both through verbal and non verbal actions. As long as he continued maintaining his weapon in a non-threatening position he was fine. However, the second that rifle came up to what might be a threatening position any soldier who perceived a threat had the go to engage the target with deadly force.

Its quite often a judgement call, and making the right call depends on two factors - experience and training. There is no substitute for experience, but outstanding training and constant rehearsals that reinforce tough standards can make it natural for someone to make the right call when placed in a tough spot where you have seconds to make a life and death decision. How good has the training in NO been? I have no idea, but AWOL officers during a crisis, the senseless beating of that guy that was caught on video, and the parts of the video that I saw for this shooting make me believe that there is no leadership or standards on that force, and that too many officers there are nothing but thugs.

Yes, I have a lot respect and support for you guys that served or are serving in Iraq, doing a great job in my opinion. I can't imagine being in that situation you described, would rather deal with that 3 inch knife not a AK47.:eek:

Tom
12-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Next nut will think twice before pulling that kind of crap.

Wonder if his name was Rodney?:rolleyes:

JustRalph
12-28-2005, 07:05 AM
which one of the ten cops do you think should have allowed the guy to stick his 3 inch knife in their necks................while the other guys subdued him? You think they should have gone by seniority? How about who is close to retirement? I get it.........they draw straws........

a 3 inch blade in the right place can be the end of you...............I guess nobody wanted to volunteer so they shot him.............

Amazing..............

doophus
12-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Local word is that there were (19) NOPD personnel involved by the end of the episode, and the (3) inch knife was the total length of the pocket knife. Granted, even a 1 1/2" blade is sufficient. For the last unknown number of years but at least (20+), NOPD policy required every cop to reside in Orleans Parish; so, they hired the best of the worst.

Reportedly, the victim was a known "nut-case."

This episode proves once again that each PD should be required to have "Lash LaRue" training for all recruits. Ole Lash would have made short order of that knife, huh? :D

twindouble
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
which one of the ten cops do you think should have allowed the guy to stick his 3 inch knife in their necks................while the other guys subdued him? You think they should have gone by seniority? How about who is close to retirement? I get it.........they draw straws........

a 3 inch blade in the right place can be the end of you...............I guess nobody wanted to volunteer so they shot him.............

Amazing..............

Well, with no training at all, I'd take that club over a 3 inch knife!

Tom
12-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Good rule to live by: don't wave a knife at a guy with a gun. I live - literally - by that credo. :jump:

This sob started the incident, the cops finished it. Good for them.
Let that be a lesson. What is the cops weren't there and YOUR son or daughter ran into this moron? We cannot allow this crap on our streets, and the loss of this guy is acceptable. Tell it to Jesus, dude.

GaryG
12-28-2005, 11:05 AM
With everything cops face I think this was entirely justifiable. If the "victim" was white, end of story. If not, Revs. JJ and Sharpton will be on the way...

twindouble
12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Good rule to live by: don't wave a knife at a guy with a gun. I live - literally - by that credo. :jump:

This sob started the incident, the cops finished it. Good for them.
Let that be a lesson. What is the cops weren't there and YOUR son or daughter ran into this moron? We cannot allow this crap on our streets, and the loss of this guy is acceptable. Tell it to Jesus, dude.

You sucker, your not suposed to make me laugh when I'm serious!:bang:

Suff
12-28-2005, 06:48 PM
If your not there it is difficult to take a strong stand either way. I suppose it is entirely acceptable and understandable, that if you wave any deadly weapon at a Law Enforcement officer your not long for the planet.

With that said.

SWAT was not called. SWAT not only has Tasers, they have bean bags. Regular NOPD do not. The incident lasted 15 minutes and I would think a call to SWAT should have been placed. And I suggest had the perpatrator been WHITE , then SWAT would have been called. IMHO

However, and more importantly, when the city is literally BEGGING its residents to come back from parts all over, and STARVING for some return of tourists to boost the tax revenue.........Do you want to be executing people in broad daylight with a 3 Inch knife? Justified or not, is this the face that NOPD wants to show its displaced residents (predominately Black), and other Americans who may be willing to come for a weekend to spend some money and show support?

I saw the MACE shot... it clipped him on the side, and only for a quick second... he really was not maced. The cop was 20 feet away and the guy was moving east to west and the MACE barely caught him.

I think less lethal methods should have been attempted.

But as I said, I was'nt there.

keilan
12-28-2005, 08:19 PM
There’s nothing about the NOPD that should surprise anyone, they are the keystone cops of America.

The man obviously had some mental health issues and the very men that take the oath to serve and protect blow the guy away. This really was an unnecessary execution don’t ya think. He was someone’s son, brother, father, uncle -- the whole incident makes me sick. These are the same bastards that beat a retired school teacher senseless a couple months back. They behave like a pack of rabid dogs

Tom
12-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Probably put out on the street by some lib judge.

JustRalph
07-01-2008, 07:36 AM
I recalled this thread from a while back............can't believe it was that far back though.............?????

Seems the new thread I started was related..........I find it interesting to read this one after reading the new one..............

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=549422#post549422

racko
07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.