PDA

View Full Version : Books unrelated to handicapping....or are they?

PaceAdvantage
12-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Just got 5 books for Christmas, and none of them relate to handicapping...or do they?

FOOLED BY RANDOMNESS by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
THE PREDICTORS by Thomas A. Bass
All three in the MARKET WIZARDS series of books by Jack Schwager

Look them up if you are so inclined...and definitely look them up if you are into trading the financial markets (I don't know why I put off the Market Wizards books....everyone tells me they are classics).

The other two books look VERY interesting, and they also look like they can be applied at least somewhat to handicapping....

GameTheory
12-25-2005, 02:45 AM
Fooled by Randomness is extremely relevant to horseplayers.

The Predictors is only if you are into AI prediction, etc.

traynor
12-25-2005, 05:43 AM
You might be interested in a little paperback called, "Decision Traps," by Russo and Schoemaker. It is intimately related to handicapping.
Good Luck

timtam
12-25-2005, 09:06 AM
AI Predicitions ?????? Educate the uninformed :confused:

Cesario!
01-11-2006, 10:38 PM
"Fooled by Randomness" is very relevant and very insightful. The author is a tad bit full of himself and probably would take credit for the creation of zero if he could, but if he doesn't bother you, it's quite worthwhile. The one item I took away was the money to be made from freak occurances, and how your money needs to be positioned to take advantage of the unforeseeable.

It's a theory that informs most of my betting and highlights the big scores that I've had. The trouble is it requires subverting your ego and subsequent gratification this game can provide.

Seth

mainardi
01-12-2006, 02:04 AM
AI Predicitions ?????? Educate the uninformed :confused:

The "AI Predictions" that he refers to is chaos theory. Check out this link for a bit o' education... :cool:

http://www.abarim-publications.com/artctintro.html

formula_2002
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
FOOLED BY RANDOMNESS by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

That’s the only one I read...
I think the guy has more than he offered in the book. He held back. Too much of his bravado gets in the way of doing better work.
Or perhaps he is his own best example of being lucky.