PDA

View Full Version : Filling races at HOL

rrbauer
07-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Far as I'm concerned we've reached an all time low.

R2, today, Wednesday at HOL

#1 Fhenomenon a 7YO, first-timer.

I remember the days when Mdn 5+ simply didn't run here. You went up north or out of state (TUP or AC) and broke your maiden there if good enough.

cj
07-03-2002, 01:24 PM
That is truly pathetic. Don't a lot of racing circuits have age limitations on maidens? I seem to remember Maryland had a 5yo limit, and some tracks were even 4.

CJ

ranchwest
07-03-2002, 01:26 PM
In some states, there was an age limit on maidens. I'm not sure what the limits are anymore. I can remember making tons of money off of horses that were about to run out of eligibility. Somehow, amazingly, they would win.

cj
07-03-2002, 01:50 PM
From Kentucky:

Section 7. Age Restrictions. No maiden six (6) years of age or older which has made five (5) life time starts on the flat shall be entered or start.

Apparently, this horse could run in Kentucky as well. Haven't found anything other states rules yet.

CJ

Tom
07-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Then there is hope for Zippy Chippy <G>

rrbauer
07-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Fhenomenon was a vet scratch on the way to the gate with about 1 mtp.

BillW
07-03-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
From Kentucky:

Section 7. Age Restrictions. No maiden six (6) years of age or older which has made five (5) life time starts on the flat shall be entered or start.

Apparently, this horse could run in Kentucky as well. Haven't found anything other states rules yet.

CJ

I don't have a reference handy but I believe Tx has a limit of 5YO for any maiden.

Bill

rrbauer
07-14-2002, 12:04 PM
As Yogi would say, "It ain't over, 'til it's over."

The mighty Fhenomenon, at age 7, finally made it to the races.

From the Equibase chart, HOL Race 9, July 13:

FHENOMENON broke slowly and awkwardly, was climbing when green and well off the rail on the backstretch, angled in on the turn and was outrun.

A definite potential for a Zippy Chippy match race!

Observer
07-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by ranchwest
I can remember making tons of money off of horses that were about to run out of eligibility. Somehow, amazingly, they would win.

I think it's important to be aware of older horses debuting for top outfits. Why would successful trainers keep horses around that are older and, for whatever reason, gone unraced? In those situations, I tend to think the connections feel there is enough talent to warrant the patience of waiting a few extra years. I can't remember all the horses, but it seemed like there were a series of older debut winners in a relatively short time span here in New York. If I recall correctly, Kimmel was one of the trainers. One I do remember was 5-year-old Infiltrator for Bill Mott on the Inner at Aqueduct early this year. I remember him because he was so impressive. He came back and won again easily at Gulfstream, but I don't think he's raced since.

rrbauer
07-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Observer:

I agree with the top-outfit angle.

In this case the breeder is the trainer; the trainer is the groom; the groom is the hotwalker, etc. They got their shot at the big dance and it's time for the stewards to give them the bad news about where this one needs to be running. M8500 at the Fairs!