PDA

View Full Version : Are these people on crack?

chickenhead
12-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Seriously, if there is anyone on this forum that supports illegal, uncontrolled immigration -- can you please chime in here and explain why it is a good thing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051221/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_border_wall

Mexicans are outraged by the proposed measures, especially the extension of the border wall, which many liken to the Berlin Wall. Some are urging their government to fight it fiercely.

"Our president should oppose that wall and make them stop it, at all costs," said Martin Vazquez, 26, at the Mexico City airport as he returned from his job as a hotel worker in Las Vegas. "More than just insulting, it's terrible."

The Berlin Wall?!? WTF!

so.cal.fan
12-21-2005, 11:26 AM
They may or may not be on crack, chickenhead......in any event they are ANGRY ACTIVISTS......which amounts to the same thing.
I share your disgust.

chickenhead
12-21-2005, 11:35 AM
The thing I really don't understand is that it is mostly, judging from the people I talk to, quite liberal people who support illegal immigration (or undocumented immigration they might call it)

I ask them, how in the world can you support an apartheid system? A system where some people enjoy benefits and protections and other don't? You feel so strongly about the minimum wage, and how it should be raised...how can you support a system whereby people aren't even guarenteed that minimum wage? And also, aren't borders necessary? Don't we still need borders? Do you really think we can afford to annex mexico? Why would we WANT to annex Mexico?

I haven't got any answers yet, but it seems pretty simple to me..clean out the country of illegals, enforce the law to the maximum extent...if it turns out we need more workers, that we want more workers -- increase the amount of legal immigration we allow. Does anyone believe that if we allowed them to come here legally they wouldn't? They would refuse?

Doesn't that only make sense? This pathway that too many people want to go down, of allowing unfettered undocumented immigration, and somehow trying to give them full rights -- is a dead end, a path to ruin, and a major major wedge issue for this country.

chickenhead
12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
The other thing that supporters of (illegal) immigrants rights, and legal mexican immigrants need to take into account, is that the # of illegals in this country absolutely sets a large number of people against the legal immigrants, and creates all sorts of ill-will towards them.

I live in a county and an area with a huge latino population, just huge, and I cannot help but be suspicious of them...I see a group of guys speaking spanish...are they legal or illegal? If they are legal, I've got no problem with them..welcome to America, I hope you prosper and help me prosper. But I can't even have goodwill towards them, because I'm suspicious. This is rampant I know, many many people just flat out assume they are ALL illegal. Are we supposed to be checking green cards ourselves?

An immigrant center should be a wonderful novelty...I go out of my way to go to Chinatown or Japantown in the city, have some fun, soak up the culture, eat some good food. I can't yet feel that way about the latino centers...deep down something says "these guys shouldn't be here, they broke the law, they are a failing of ours, they shouldn't be supported". Thats terrible.

The best thing immigrants rights groups could do to improve their relations with the "natives" is to get set against illegal immigration, then we could do our best to welcome the legal immigrants with open arms. But, they get thrown under the bus and I'm not even sure they know why.