PDA

View Full Version : Steve Richardson's PA suspension

kenwoodallpromos
12-17-2005, 04:20 PM
How long should Steve be suspended from Paceadvantage for?

46zilzal
12-17-2005, 04:21 PM
suspended ???? for what reason?

kenwoodallpromos
12-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd like not at all, but I answered Not at all AND As long as PA wants so PA does not get mad at me!LOL!! :jump:

kenwoodallpromos
12-17-2005, 04:33 PM
In context: "Steverr1 has had his posting privileges suspended. If or when he shall return is unknown at this point.

I do not like the way the board has gone since his arrival. It has been nothing but personality clashes since the day he arrived. Whether he is to blame for this or not is irrelevant. I can't suspend the entire board, so I have to do the next logical thing, which is to remove the source of the conflict.

I know some of you are not going to like this decision, but it's the fairest one I can think of at the moment. To quote a guy with pointy ears, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
________
Out of context: "Steverr1 has had his posting privileges suspended. If or when he shall return is unknown at this point.
I can't suspend the entire board, so I have to do the next logical thing. To quote a guy with pointy ears, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
_________

Out of context:"

DJofSD
12-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Boy, oh boy, the poll question seems pretty biased.

Bubbles
12-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Simple. PA's forum, his call.

Tom
12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree, but the poll is asking for our opinions.

Mine is bring him back now.
That and a 5 spot will getcha tomorrow's DRF. :D

PaceAdvantage
12-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Why does this poll imply he was an impostor? I don't believe Stevrr1 was anyone BUT Steve Richardson, who he claimed to be...that was not an issue. I am 100% confident he was who he said he was.

GameTheory
12-17-2005, 08:16 PM
I took that to mean Steve coming back under another name...

PaceAdvantage
12-17-2005, 08:19 PM
You're probably right....my bad....

kenwoodallpromos
12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
I put that so those who are not sure would weigh in- I also put that in case anyone in the future tries to come on pretending to be him.
I should have mentioned somewhere you can vote for more than 1 choice!

DJofSD
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Well, from where I set, I think this is all so much B.S (and that's not for Babs).

What did the guy do wrong? Did he lie? Did he flame every one on the board. Did he impune the mothers of the folks that participated in the threads?

Maybe it's taking it too far but to paraphrase one of the founding father's 'I may not agree with what he has to say (or the way he says it) but I'll defend his right to say it.'

Granted some folks got rubbed the wrong way. Grow up. It's a difference of opinion that makes a horse race -- and makes me come back to this board.

What do you guys want? All sweetness and light? Come on.

PaceAdvantage
12-17-2005, 10:01 PM
What do you guys want? All sweetness and light? Come on.

Certainly not! How boring that would be....I also don't want "All Steve All The Time," and after a week or two, that's what had happened. "Enough" I said.

And although I strive to allow free speech as much as possible, this is a privately owned and operated website. Free speech is not a right here, it is a privilege extended to those who desire to become a productive member of our little community. Just like you can't scream "FIRE" in a crowded movie theatre where no fire exists, you likewise can't come to this board and type whatever your mind dreams up...there are always limitations.

Dave Schwartz
12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
IMHO the problem here has actually been well-defined in the Schmidt-Light Bulb thread. Granted, he made light of it (Sorry, I just could not help it.) but it is really an accurate picture of what goes on.

But before we get all upset over how "we" reacted to Steve consider that there is an unwritten protocol here that says, "Give us a chance to get to know you before you tell us how smart you are."

And guess what? That is exactly how the real world operates. If you are in a racebook or at the track and a new guy shows up wanting to tell everyone how much money they make and offering great suggestions on how to play, generally they will be unwelcome. On the other hand, if they put in a day or two playing the races next to you and you notice how well they are doing, you may be more open to their ideas.

And this is no different than any other vocational (or avocational) field. Doesn't matter whether you are a lawyer or an engineer, truck driver or pizza parlor owner. Hardly anyone reacts pleasantly when confronted with someone who shows up with their unsolicited opinions on how they could "do it better."

Please do not misunderstand... I was looking forward to hearing what Steve had to say. Maybe there were some nuggets to be mined from that ore. And I admit to being able to get by the protocol-thing most of the time.

(And, just for the record, I was guilty of just such an offense a few years ago at Saratoga. It caused me to make more than a few enemies here. No amount of apologizing will likely overcome that first impression.)

Okay, I'll be done here real soon.

My point is that all this was predictable. Steve probably has some great things to teach us but he rubbed us the wrong way and a significant number of the PA group decided that the price was just too great to pay for a breach of protocol.

Perhaps a suggestion on the terms and conditions page for PA might outline how certain actions by new members will typically be met. This might help us avoid losing some potentially great new members in the future.

Happy Holidays to all,
Dave Schwartz

DJofSD
12-17-2005, 11:22 PM
there are always limitations.

Dirty Harry where are you now?

I guess my threshold is higher than others.

toetoe
12-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Dave,

The Punjab gave me a kick, honest Injun. I agree Steve took it in the schwartz.
The new-name thing is intriguing.

JustRalph
12-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Good post Dave!

NoDayJob
12-18-2005, 01:58 AM
I must have been asleep. When was Steverino banned???????????????

DJofSD
12-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I hope Steve is allowed back. I also hope that if responses from posters like TLG persist, he just does not respond. Then, one of two things will happen: either those that don't like Steve or his ideas or his way of presenting them will give up and move on, or, Steve will give up and move on. I believe that's what happened to fishhorsechess (or whateverthe moniker was).

Hammerhead
12-19-2005, 07:28 AM
What happened?
What did I miss?
Where was I?
Who is steve?
Looks like another lost day for the Hammers.
:bang: :sleeping:

GameTheory
12-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Why in the world would he WANT to come back?

banacek
12-19-2005, 11:14 AM

I think posting a poll like this is uncalled for. Any decision (and if he likes poll as PA has done in the past) on if a member should be banned is solely up to PA.

Light
12-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Dave S

I don't think the issue with Steve was that he claimed to be a better handicapper. As PA put it he was "an arrogant prick"

hurrikane
12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Dave S

I don't think the issue with Steve was that he claimed to be a better handicapper. As PA put it he was "an arrogant prick"

If PA kicks every 'arrogant prick' off this board he'll be sitting here by himself.

It's your board PA. If you didn't have a poll to kick him off not sure why you need a poll to let him back on.

Seems to me the most offensive thing Steve did was say 'I made a bunch of money, want to see the IRS forms'. Guess that was too much for some. I for one was interested in what he had to say. He just never got around to saying it.

keilan
12-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Kane -- why not try his email, he may be receptive to your inquires

Light
12-19-2005, 05:27 PM
hurrikane
Seems to me the most offensive thing Steve did was say 'I made a bunch of money, want to see the IRS forms'.

Oh yeah.Like that's a big deal.You need to re-read his threads.

PaceAdvantage
12-19-2005, 06:35 PM
It's your board PA. If you didn't have a poll to kick him off not sure why you need a poll to let him back on.

I didn't start this poll and don't see why it's necessary. You should address Kenwoodallpromos if you want to know why this poll was created.

In case you didn't know, any registered member has the ability to start a poll.

toetoe
12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
It seems that without our reactions, he wouldn't be punished. That's distinct from being punished simply for being Steevish. If he spouted things that we totally ignored in silence, it would be like one hand clapping. I guess the tyranny of our majority convinced PA to reluctantly pull the plug. The publicity theory makes sense, although I wouldn't go beyond a thread here to look for the guy.

Light
12-19-2005, 06:49 PM
I get the feeling that alot of sympathy to Steve is from not really getting into the details of his threads and just skimming it superficially. There are several undesirable qualities he dispalyed. Let me give you an example of one beside the arrogant prick one: Deception and pretending he wants to discuss handicapping with you.

Refer to the link below.The most stunning example is him plagerizing a paragraph from another website,verbatim Post #187. Incredibly,Midnight nails him in the act.Post #194. In post #201 he responds to Midnight with an excuse then diverts his attention like a politician and asks him for his opinion on software. Midnight graciously writes this long paragraph in response not even mentioning his plaigerism,post #207.Steve decides to respond to Kelian instead and Midnight expresses his frustration in post #211.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24446&page=13&pp=15

Steve never responded to Midnight yet talked to him like he really wanted to discuss handicapping. Why? Because he's a manipulator and enjoys decieving people.Playing with their heads. Just like Clinton wagged the dog in Iraq after Monica,Steve pulled Midnights chain to quickly take the attention off an embarrasing situation.Then hung him out to dry. He loves the power he feels from all the attention. It's all about him to him.While pretending to be sincere and wanting to share ideas,he has no interest in anyone but himself. And if you get in the way,he won't think twice about knocking you down,to stay at the top. You'll find that noble quality elsewhere in the same thread.

Light
12-19-2005, 07:00 PM
That's why I kept hearing Scarface in my head saying:" Cockaroach" when I read his posts.

keilan
12-19-2005, 07:12 PM
That's why I kept hearing Scarface in my head saying:" Cockaroach" when I read his posts.

If I've ever underestimated you before I'll never happen again :)

Tom
12-19-2005, 07:13 PM
The poll shows disturbing signs of a tie...it could come down to Florida again! :eek:

toetoe
12-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Light,

That's not a dog WJC was wagging. :eek:

Whichever pile Steve is "at the top of," it can't be very rarefied.

boxcar
12-19-2005, 10:05 PM
You forgot a poll option, Kenwood: Install Steve into the PA Hall of Shame forever and forever.

Boxcar

hurrikane
12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
sorry PA. Reading your post I thought you started it.

Keiland
I have emailed with Steve and plan to meet him at tampa next week when I'm down there.
I reserve my judgement until then.

cj
12-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Because he is most likely an egomaniacal psychopath and his whole raison d'être on the board was to stir things up.

I happen to know of someone who set up with Steve to meet last weekend at Tampa, but shockingly enough he was a no show. Glad I didn't take him up on his flight offer, I can play Tampa from here.

keilan
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Keiland
I have emailed with Steve and plan to meet him at tampa next week when I'm down there.

If he shows you might want to start with an "hello" followed by "can I see 2 picture ID's" :cool:

As Drugs would say -- I'm just saying.................

DJofSD
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, psychopath or not, if people are going to act like children and treat others like children then punishment should be administered fairly. Banish not only Steve but TLG and all the others that entered into the finger pointing exercise.

the little guy
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Maybe PA should just ban any or all posters who choose to disagree....with anyone.

keilan
01-01-2006, 11:57 AM

Keilan

And how was the trip?

boxcar
01-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Maybe PA should just ban any or all posters who choose to disagree....with anyone.

Better yet: PA should ban everyone who dares to disagree with me. :lol:

Boxcar
P.S. Before anyone tells me how lonely I would be in here, I can only think of these words by penned by an unknown author: "I never found a companion more companionable than solitude." ;)

Overlay
01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
P.S. Before anyone tells me how lonely I would be in here, I can only think of these words by penned by an unknown author: "I never found a companion more companionable than solitude." ;)

Wasn't that Thoreau?

GaryG
01-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Wasn't that Thoreau?
Sure was....from Walden. These horseplayers are more literate than most people think :lol:

boxcar
01-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Wasn't that Thoreau?

Yup, now that you mention it, I believe it was. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

keilan
01-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Now boyz don't be cluttering up this thread, some of us are waiting for Kane's report :jump: :jump: :jump:

Overlay
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Imagine what Thoreau could have done with all that time alone if he'd had a library of Racing Forms with him. He would have cleaned up on the New England circuit come spring! :D