PDA

View Full Version : General Method I use

Steverr1
12-16-2005, 09:29 PM
A general approach to the Races. How I approach each card at the Track

WARNING

DELETE now if you are looking for some new method or hither-to-before unknown approach.

If you are still here this is my general approach to selecting winners at any Track. For some it will help ---so for the new to the races people:

I start by kicking out horses that I don't think have a shot. In other words what are the pigs? A former long process for me, but I can say that I look at the level they have been running and go from there. I usually can (on the fly) knock out 3. But if you haven’t found any method that you are comfortable with then use the M/L as a reference. Kick out all the 20-1’s as they win at a very low frequency.

From that point I compare pacelines and kick out the lowest speed rated horse provided their line doesn’t show any trouble last race.

Sometimes I will then kick out low % jockeys, but not always--depends if I already know their riding style or Trainer they are riding for today.

I also have a way I like to look at energy expended that takes 1 or so out, but that is using some software that is not available to be sold. It still is a very subjective area so it may not be all that, but for me it does help to get another horse out of the win.

You can accomplish almost the same thing I do using a multitude of reporting services. I kick out those who do not fit today’s race by at least a full % over the field average. If you don’t understand this I hope to write more concerning energy, but for now I don’t have enough time. The point is to look for horses who don’t fit with the majority of the field for one reason or another. Early horses that habitually fade may be a good example and are out classed in today’s field.

At this juncture I am down to 3 or 4 horses and that is when I apply bias. I am looking for the horse that fits today’s race with their running style or post. Often I can get this to a single horse, but not always. Common Sense must always prevail, but don’t over handicap. Bias can be found on any track via any good software or reporting service. Sometimes none exists that can tip the scales so I look towards other traditional items such as top jock, or simply what horse makes the most sense.

In general I always work backwards to determine the winner. I almost never accept any M/L or DRF influence.

I wrote this very hurriedly but I hope that for the few of you who are interested it gave you some insight of the approach I use. Over the years I have become very fast at my handicapping. It’s methodical for me as I rarely alter my approach unless I discover another item that becomes relative to the process. This is just an overview, hopefully I can offer more in depth methods as time allows.

douglasw32
12-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Same here, I figure most do it this way ????anyone else?
I toss first then take a second look at what is left.

toetoe
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Neutral comment: You're Vic Stauffer, maybe? :)

Tom Barrister
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I throw out what I don't think can win. Then I look for a price on what's left. The idea is that simple. Doing it isn't.

kenwoodallpromos
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a good plan! You must have it down well which horses to eliminate- most you mentioned are automatic throw outs based on 1 variable, which is fine.
Do you use distance or purse/class level to help dteremine which are throw outs?
When one of your early thow outs wins, when do you go back and look over its' PP's to see if you missed something?
You mentioned in an earlier thread that you can spot biases quickly.
On dirt tracks I use: Jockey moves; Fading of horses along the rail; Fractions; and the color of the dirt as my main observations as to bias.

rrpic6
12-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Has Steve been kicked out? Did he piss more people off?:confused: I wanted to hear his opinion on Tampa's 9th race on Saturday. Its part of BRIS Handicap contest.

hipster
12-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks Steve - This should help the new guys speed up the process.

Jeep
12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
I think if you toss too early you might lose the shape of the race. For example, if you throw out 1 or 2 early horses right off the bat, then when you look at the contenders you might think you have a lone early horse when as a matter of fact one of the horses you tossed might get the lone early into a speed duel, setting the race up for a presser or even a sustained horse. That's just my opinion. I look at the shape of the race and who might be where before I start tossing.
Jeep