PDA

View Full Version : Sabotage at Laurel

Rob_in_MN
12-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Anybody catch the 5th race at Laurel?

If so can anybody give me an explanation?
Jock on the 2/5 Asmussen shot stands up on the mount
10 yards from the wire, virtually stopping the horse
and then when he sees horses passing him he
then shakes the reigns and finishes 3rd???

I've never seen such a blatent pull up in 10 years
of playing the game and am glad I didn't have my money
on this horse.

cj
12-16-2005, 03:08 PM
There was a similar thread not to long ago about a different jock, Bentencourt or something like that. Without even looking, I'm going to guess it was a one mile race and he blew the finish line, which is different from the races at different distances.

midnight
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
It was indeed a mile race (the finish wire is further down the track, closer to the turn, which allows the race to be run out of a chute). The charts comment was "rider misjudged wire", and that was the impression I got from watching the replay.

OLYDAR , three wide into the stretch, opened a lengthy lead at the sixteenth pole, where his rider eased up, misjudging the finish.

JustRalph
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
If Bill Shoemaker can do it in the Kentucky Derby.........then it can happen to anybody...........

GameTheory
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Kind of dumb for the track to set things up so you can stiff a horse and not even hide it...

Valuist
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
It happens every now and then in the 1 mile races at Oaklawn, where the finish line is at the sixteenth pole.

GeTydOn
12-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Kind of dumb for the track to set things up so you can stiff a horse and not even hide it...

Dumb? Yeah. I guess it is dumb for a track to want to provide the trainers with a distance that they couldn't without that second finish line. Why give the horsemen any variety? 6 Furlongs for everyone!

Steve 'StatMan'
12-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Another case of Premature Jock Elation ;)

hurrikane
12-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Steve, - very good :lol:

this idiot killed my p4
He will likely be fined.

I remembered this happened at Charlestown one time. when the jockey returned to the paddock he was pummeled with beer cans. I think that is when they stopped letting people bring in coolers. Took a long time to clean up the mess and I think the jock didn't race any more races that night.

frenchy
12-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Crazy, i ve just watch it on racereplays !! surely owner is a betfair customer and lay it !!

Light
12-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Saw one worse about 10 years ago at Fresno fair. There was a 4 horse entry at 1-9.Bridge jumpers in the show pool.There was only 1 of the the entries left that could possibly finish in the $ in deep stretch. The jock must have looked at the show pool cause he was standing up and literally yanking the horse back with all his might as he fought to stay out of the money.He did. Show paid big.

parlay
12-17-2005, 07:58 PM
At the end of the season in Toronto the racing took place at Greenwood, which no longer exists, it was a bullring. They carded some real marathons, 18+++ furlongs, someone always got dizzy and lost count of the number of times they had gone round. Great fun!

toetoe
12-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Steve,

Wish I'd thought of that. :lol:

Tom
12-18-2005, 12:22 AM
When FL carded 4 + mile races, they put 4 Playboy Bunnies up on a folding table at the finish line, and one jumped off each lap. All the jocks had to do was count the bunnies and know how many laps left.

BillW
12-18-2005, 12:51 AM
At the end of the season in Toronto the racing took place at Greenwood, which no longer exists, it was a bullring. They carded some real marathons, 18+++ furlongs, someone always got dizzy and lost count of the number of times they had gone round. Great fun!

The last day of the meet at TUP in (maybe?) 2003 a jock lost count of the laps in a 12 F race. Now THAT was funny :eek:

Macdiarmadillo
12-18-2005, 03:26 AM
IIRC, there was the misjudged finish line biz at Laurel last year, too. From what I've seen of Australian and European courses, a lot of the jocks here would just get lost there, never to be seen again.

Now if 4 bunnies were the jockey's prize for the marathon races, there would be more jockeys trying. What to do for the women riders?

Donnie
12-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Last year at MNR there was one of those marathon races (14F I am guessing). Not one, but 2 jockeys lost count of the laps and actually went to battle for the wire. After hitting the wire they both stood up and were promptly passed by the rest of the field. Neither finished in the money.

highnote
12-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Last year at MNR there was one of those marathon races (14F I am guessing). Not one, but 2 jockeys lost count of the laps and actually went to battle for the wire. After hitting the wire they both stood up and were promptly passed by the rest of the field. Neither finished in the money.

It's a mile track -- how could they misjudge the finish line when they hadn't even been around the clubhouse turn?

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 06:24 AM
It's a mile track -- how could they misjudge the finish line when they hadn't even been around the clubhouse turn?

I think It was on Belmont Stakes Day, MNR would have a mile and a half race on its card too. The starting gate was on the backstretch, Dana Whitney was one of the jocks. He and the other jock thought it was a short sprint race and were whipping their horses down the stretch the 1st time.:confused: They were about 20 lengths ahead of the others, and stood up around the clubhouse turn. The others kept on going right past them to finish the last lap. 2 owners were might pissed. I think they tried to have their jock fees refunded.:mad:

cj's dad
12-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Anybody catch the 5th race at Laurel?

If so can anybody give me an explanation?
Jock on the 2/5 Asmussen shot stands up on the mount
10 yards from the wire, virtually stopping the horse
and then when he sees horses passing him he
then shakes the reigns and finishes 3rd???

I've never seen such a blatent pull up in 10 years
of playing the game and am glad I didn't have my money
on this horse.

This was a 1 mile race. The track has been re-configured for less than a year. This is a new jock to Md. racing. Mistakes happens. jockeys have never been considered, at least by me, to be the brightest people in the world. Good for you you weren't betting in '57 when Shoemaker stood up on Gallant Man and finished 2nd in the Kentucky Derby !!

highnote
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I think It was on Belmont Stakes Day, MNR would have a mile and a half race on its card too. The starting gate was on the backstretch, Dana Whitney was one of the jocks. He and the other jock thought it was a short sprint race and were whipping their horses down the stretch the 1st time.:confused: They were about 20 lengths ahead of the others, and stood up around the clubhouse turn. The others kept on going right past them to finish the last lap. 2 owners were might pissed. I think they tried to have their jock fees refunded.:mad:

You'd think the top jock at MNR would know the difference between a 6f and 14f race. Don't they bother to look at the conditions?

Not only should the owners have to pay no fees, they ought to have fined the jocks for negligence.

fmhealth
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
This horse,OLYDAR is running in the 9th at the Big A tomorrow (1/6). Going from his last debacle at 2-5 in a 7,500 to a 4-1 ML for 15,000. I'll be putting a few dollars on him.

toetoe
01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Too bad he's not in on Sat. or Sun. We need bodies in our pick-fours. Riders UP !!

Light, I noticed your post about Fresno. Those four had to be Appaloosas trained by Don Collins, right? Wonder whether the alleged jockey was whispering, "Loll, Appaloosa .. loll, Appaloosa.

stlseeeek
01-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Jockey did the same thing at TurfParadise. was a long route on grass, and when he came around the first time, he pumped the horse to get home by 15, raised his fist, jogged the horse, then seen horses pass him so he tried to get horse back and running. If you were the owner, you were sick! If i was the jokcey i would be sick!

Didn't Fairgrounds(or still do) have 2 finish lines? I remember Michael Wrona(?sp) mentioning that the jockey stood up at the wrong finish point, he stood up at the 1 mile and 1/16 finish line(?) It was either Fairgrounds or Lonestar, sure it was the FG! And no, it wasn;t a Meche!

fmhealth
01-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Here's a recap of today's race. The good news is that the jockey did NOT misjudge the finish line. The bad news, he was so far back that it really didn't matter!!!

fmhealth
01-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Well justice finally prevails. OLYDAR the nag that caused so many of us so much anguish WINS!!! That's right at 7-2 in the 5th at AQU today.

Hope some other posters followed-up with this one.

46zilzal
01-25-2006, 03:40 PM
that animal fit that course to a "T," particularly with the late scratch at the gate...actually so did the place horse

Wickel
01-25-2006, 04:19 PM
The jock in question's name was Dana Kobiskie. Don't know if male or female. Olydar had a commanding lead when he was stopped. Cost me the win and place, exacta and tri. Olydar was odds-on, but the next two finishers were bombs.

I never read anything about Kobiskie getting fined, but guess what. I was watching HRTV's Laurel program on Jan. 7 and he did it again, misjudging the finish at midstretch. The horse was already done and would have not hit the board anyway, but c'mon now. This jock needs some serious schooling.